Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

They aren't signing Strasburg or Rendon. Sorry, obviously my opinion here, but nothing about the Brewers' fiscal habits leads me to believe they are going to dole out that kind of money on a long-term free agent on a long contract that they know won't end well.

If you want to dream on a guy or two, dream on Ryu or Donaldson. Those are far more realistic targets that could possibly be in our range on a short term deal for a high AAV.

To be honest, I don't think it wise to dream on Ryu or Donaldson either.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They aren't signing Strasburg or Rendon. Sorry, obviously my opinion here, but nothing about the Brewers' fiscal habits leads me to believe they are going to dole out that kind of money on a long-term free agent on a long contract that they know won't end well.

If you want to dream on a guy or two, dream on Ryu or Donaldson. Those are far more realistic targets that could possibly be in our range on a short term deal for a high AAV.

I continue dreaming of Strasburg in our rotation, knowing full well it is a dream... Buit what if?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I continue dreaming of Strasburg in our rotation, knowing full well it is a dream... Buit what if?

I would love a guy like Strasburg as well. But with the prices of premium players, I'm very skeptical. I see Strasburg getting $30M - or more - per year. And for six or more seasons. I just don't see us treading into those waters - where we put 1/4 of our payroll into one player. If it was for just 2-3 years - I could see it. But six is hard to fathom.

But hey, we can dream for now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really want nothing to do with Bumgarner. #1 He's got a ton of mileage on that arm and has had issues two of the last three years (granted they were sort of freak injuries) #2 He wants $100 million over 5 years #3 He's kind of a weenie
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really want nothing to do with Bumgarner. #1 He's got a ton of mileage on that arm and has had issues two of the last three years (granted they were sort of freak injuries) #2 He wants $100 million over 5 years #3 He's kind of a weenie

This.

If it were a 2 year deal, I'd be fine with it, but it would be hard to root for the guy...(well, I'm sure that would take care of itself if he was successful.)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I like the way you are thinking, Ryu and Donaldson would be great adds. Both could probably be had with 3 year deals of similar price.

Perhaps 3/74 each, so both for 150? Would be a premium price for sure, perhaps too much risk in reality but better bet than that much for twice as much time for a guy like Wheeler or whatever. Always nice to make deals in pairns, Stearns seems to do that. Yelich and Cain was a 1-2 punch when it was annoucned.

The more I look at available options the less I think the Brewers are going to spend big in free agency on pitching. I think the next time the Brewers acquire a #2/3 caliber pitcher that isn’t homegrown it will be via trade. I also don’t think the front office has nearly the sense of urgency to add top end starting pitching as the fan base does. As frustrating as it can be at times, I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up waiting until mid-season to possibly add an upper level pitcher.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

The more I look at available options the less I think the Brewers are going to spend big in free agency on pitching. I think the next time the Brewers acquire a #2/3 caliber pitcher that isn’t homegrown it will be via trade. I also don’t think the front office has nearly the sense of urgency to add top end starting pitching as the fan base does. As frustrating as it can be at times, I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up waiting until mid-season to possibly add an upper level pitcher.

Two years in a row the fan base has been stressed out about the starting pitching. But while it hasn't been perfect at times, for two years in a row, they have figured it out and put together solid starting pitching.

100% I don't expect them to spend big for pitching or hitting.

Here's my thing...if you aren't going to spend in FA to acquire a TOR arm, or somehow acquire one via trade, then why spend on pitching at all?? I mean in reality, the way I see it, once you get to the second and third tier of arms(which is the pool the Brewers always swim in), are you REALLY getting someone better then what you already currently have?? Maybe...but maybe not. With someone like a Strasburg, or a Cole or someone of that ilk, you can be about 99.99% certain they will be significantly better than anyone else you currently have that could fill that role(Burnes etc). However if you go out and buy say a Dallas Kuechel, or a Michael Wacha for example, how much are you truly improving your staff?? Maybe slightly, if at all. So to me, with as much as people here talk about being fiscally responsible, it's not fiscally responsible, if you aren't going to go big, to buy pitching at all. Unless it's a substantial improvement, why spend the money at all?? just go with what you have, and hope it works. That's essentially what you'd be doing with a second or third tier FA arm you'd pay for anyway.

Obviously, this is my opinion, and others will differ, but when it comes to FA pitching and talking about getting value for your dollar...it's go big or don't go at all.

Here's my thing...if you aren't going to spend in FA to acquire a TOR arm, or somehow acquire one via trade, then why spend on pitching at all?? I mean in reality, the way I see it, once you get to the second and third tier of arms(which is the pool the Brewers always swim in), are you REALLY getting someone better then what you already currently have?? Maybe...but maybe not. With someone like a Strasburg, or a Cole or someone of that ilk, you can be about 99.99% certain they will be significantly better than anyone else you currently have that could fill that role(Burnes etc). However if you go out and buy say a Dallas Kuechel, or a Michael Wacha for example, how much are you truly improving your staff?? Maybe slightly, if at all. So to me, with as much as people here talk about being fiscally responsible, it's not fiscally responsible, if you aren't going to go big, to buy pitching at all. Unless it's a substantial improvement, why spend the money at all?? just go with what you have, and hope it works. That's essentially what you'd be doing with a second or third tier FA arm you'd pay for anyway.

Obviously, this is my opinion, and others will differ, but when it comes to FA pitching and talking about getting value for your dollar...it's go big or don't go at all.

First of all if you are suggesting we should just give Corbin Burnes another shot at this point I don't necessarily disagree. There's too much arm talent there to give up on. Now I would prefer he spend some time in SA first as he's definitely a risk and you'd like him to re-prove himself there first.

Secondly to answer your other question of why spend at all, I think you're underestimating the value that the right move can give you on the 2nd and 3rd tiers. We got more value out of Chacin and Miley in '18, Gio in '18 and '19, and Lyles in '19 than a lot of big market teams got out of their first tier spending for guys such as Yu Darvish.

First of all if you are suggesting we should just give Corbin Burnes another shot at this point I don't necessarily disagree. There's too much arm talent there to give up on. Now I would prefer he spend some time in SA first as he's definitely a risk and you'd like him to re-prove himself there first.

Secondly to answer your other question of why spend at all, I think you're underestimating the value that the right move can give you on the 2nd and 3rd tiers. We got more value out of Chacin and Miley in '18, Gio in '18 and '19, and Lyles in '19 than a lot of big market teams got out of their first tier spending for guys such as Yu Darvish.

Burnes was just an example..My point was...sure you may catch lightning in a bottle once in awhile, like with Chacin and Miley etc..but that's a dangerous way to live if you ask me. What else do all three of those have in common?? They were all one year guys. I just don't think you can keep "shuffling the deck" in the rotation every single year like that, eventually, it's going to blow up on you. And you can say well if it does, at least it only cost them "12 million". To me that's not the point. It's still wasted money. If you aren't going to make a concerted effort to REALLY try and fix the pitching staff from the outside, and I mean give it some stability and continuity in terms of having the same guys for 3-4 years, then save the $$ and stay in house and hope what you have there works out.

And you bring up Darvish...that kind of makes my point...yes, the Cubs had a lost first season with him..but...this last year he was VERY VERY good. Why?? Because he's proven. I would rather spend more $$ and get 3-4 really good years out of someone I'm pretty sure will be a stud for me(barring an injury) even if one year is bad, then to keep firing darts on one year guys and hope it works for that year. Guys like Chacin, Miley etc, would be absolutely perfect 3-5 guys, but they should never be your TOR guys even if they pitch like it for a year. You have 3 years of Yelich left...why not "go for it" while he's still here, and lay all your chips on the table?? Once he leaves, you likely have to rebuild anyway, so what's the difference??

The windows are so small for teams like the Brewers that when they do present themselves, to me, you better do whatever it takes to try to capitalize on it while you can, because you never know when it's going to come around again. I would just love to see Woody and another stud at the top of the rotation for the net 3-4 years, that in and of itself might make rebuilding(when that time comes), not be a true rebuild. But this year to year staff thing, will never work long term.

I thought Stearns made a HUGE mistake last year before the season even started by relying on the young arms he had, and not signing a veteran. That was pretty easy to see it was going to blow up on him...and it did. Many here thought the very same thing. Now, that could have been mitigated to a HUGE extent, if they would have had another dominant arm to join Woody a the the top of the rotation. They have that and they probably cruise into the playoffs, rather then needing to go on an unprecedented run to squeak in. I would have thought last year if any would have taught Stearns, you can't live like that with your pitching staff(throwing stuff against a wall and hope it works). Obviously it doesn't seem to have...yet. let's see what if any other moves he makes.

I know we made the playoffs with questionable staffs but at some point your going to need that second arm.

CC has been great when the rosters have expanded but will not have that Luxury this season.

Bingo! This is why this year it's so important to have that proven TOR starter locked up for the net couple of years at least. no more dart throws, or trying to catch lightning in a bottle for a year or two. Chacin worked for a year, and then what happened?? He fell off a cliff, which is exactly what's going to happen at some point with these 2nd and 3rd tier guys. It's inevitable.

Burnes was just an example..My point was...sure you may catch lightning in a bottle once in awhile, like with Chacin and Miley etc..but that's a dangerous way to live if you ask me. What else do all three of those have in common?? They were all one year guys. I just don't think you can keep "shuffling the deck" in the rotation every single year like that, eventually, it's going to blow up on you. And you can say well if it does, at least it only cost them "12 million". To me that's not the point. It's still wasted money. If you aren't going to make a concerted effort to REALLY try and fix the pitching staff from the outside, and I mean give it some stability and continuity in terms of having the same guys for 3-4 years, then save the $$ and stay in house and hope what you have there works out.

And you bring up Darvish...that kind of makes my point...yes, the Cubs had a lost first season with him..but...this last year he was VERY VERY good. Why?? Because he's proven. I would rather spend more $$ and get 3-4 really good years out of someone I'm pretty sure will be a stud for me(barring an injury) even if one year is bad, then to keep firing darts on one year guys and hope it works for that year. Guys like Chacin, Miley etc, would be absolutely perfect 3-5 guys, but they should never be your TOR guys even if they pitch like it for a year. You have 3 years of Yelich left...why not "go for it" while he's still here, and lay all your chips on the table?? Once he leaves, you likely have to rebuild anyway, so what's the difference??

The windows are so small for teams like the Brewers that when they do present themselves, to me, you better do whatever it takes to try to capitalize on it while you can, because you never know when it's going to come around again. I would just love to see Woody and another stud at the top of the rotation for the net 3-4 years, that in and of itself might make rebuilding(when that time comes), not be a true rebuild. But this year to year staff thing, will never work long term.

I thought Stearns made a HUGE mistake last year before the season even started by relying on the young arms he had, and not signing a veteran. That was pretty easy to see it was going to blow up on him...and it did. Many here thought the very same thing. Now, that could have been mitigated to a HUGE extent, if they would have had another dominant arm to join Woody a the the top of the rotation. They have that and they probably cruise into the playoffs, rather then needing to go on an unprecedented run to squeak in. I would have thought last year if any would have taught Stearns, you can't live like that with your pitching staff(throwing stuff against a wall and hope it works). Obviously it doesn't seem to have...yet. let's see what if any other moves he makes.

VERY VERY good? Darvish was fine. He was dominant in some stretches and struggled in others. He was a 4 ERA pitcher. The Cubs can afford to give out that kind of deal for a lost year followed by a 4 ERA. We cannot.

Actually, the Cubs cannot really afford to anymore either, because they've spent the last number of years handing out the kind of big name contracts that you like to see to Heyward, Darvish, Kimbrel, and others. Now they are in a position where they're forced to cut payroll because they're reaping the consequences of those decisions.

With the way things are going it looks like Bumgarner will get 5+/100+, Donaldson will get 4+/88+ and Ryu may cross 100 as well. This reminds me of the offseason when the Yankees signed CC and everybody else. It just sucks. We can't afford to spend 20-25/ year for slightly above average or a huge injury risk. I guess we need to be realistic and hope for Nova/ Keuchel and a huge haul for Hader.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

So why have the Brewers beat out the Cubs two years running?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

With Strasburg done here are my predictions for the rest of the big name starting pitchers out there:

Cole: 10-years $340m Yankees yes that is $34m a year for a pitcher

Bumgarner: 5-years $120m Angles

Keuchel: 3-years $51m Brewers (2-years guaranteed with the 3rd being a mutual option)

Kluber is available in a trade but the Brewers don't have anything that the Indians would want unless the Brewers are willing to give up Hiura for Kluber beyond that there isn't really a match. The Indians are also not going to give Kluber away for free or at a discount.

Price is also another interesting possibility his contract would be perfect for the Red Sox to flip to get under the tax along with Eovaldi. If the Brewers think Eovaldi can be fixed you could only have to give up Arcia to get him maybe even less.

I wanted Keuchel last year and I still want him now. Realistically Keuchel is the best pitcher the Brewers could end up with right now. Bumgarner is going to be out of the question I wouldn't even get any where close to $100m for him as he is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a fall like Felix Hernandez where he is a 5+ ERA pitcher after year two of his next contract. Basically you will have Garza but at a higher rate on your hands which will set the Brewers back by 2-3 years.

With Strasburg done here are my predictions for the rest of the big name starting pitchers out there:

Cole: 10-years $340m Yankees yes that is $34m a year for a pitcher

Bumgarner: 5-years $120m Angles

Keuchel: 3-years $51m Brewers (2-years guaranteed with the 3rd being a mutual option)

Kluber is available in a trade but the Brewers don't have anything that the Indians would want unless the Brewers are willing to give up Hiura for Kluber beyond that there isn't really a match. The Indians are also not going to give Kluber away for free or at a discount.

Price is also another interesting possibility his contract would be perfect for the Red Sox to flip to get under the tax along with Eovaldi. If the Brewers think Eovaldi can be fixed you could only have to give up Arcia to get him maybe even less.

I wanted Keuchel last year and I still want him now. Realistically Keuchel is the best pitcher the Brewers could end up with right now. Bumgarner is going to be out of the question I wouldn't even get any where close to $100m for him as he is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a fall like Felix Hernandez where he is a 5+ ERA pitcher after year two of his next contract. Basically you will have Garza but at a higher rate on your hands which will set the Brewers back by 2-3 years.

I mean, this hits on what I said..no offense to you(because I have seen several people mention him), but why on earth would you spend that kind of Money on Dallas Kuechel?? Does he make the rotation THAT much better?? To me, if Kuechel is the guy you sign, you may as well have just kept Zach Davies. There isn't a distinct difference between those two to me. That's what I mean, the Crew keeps bringing in new pitchers, but really the only thing that changes is the name on the back of the jersey on a yearly basis. They aren't distinctly different then the guy the replaced from the year before. Maybe in some ways they are, but it's not head and shoulders different. It's like they try someone different just to try it.

Like I said, if Kuechel is who you sign for that much money, why not just keep Zach?? He's younger, cheaper and about the same pitcher. Neither guy really misses bats, both have good ERA's for their careers, neither walks a ton of guys. I was no Davies fan by any stretch, but does Kuechel make THAT much of a difference for the Brewers as opposed to Davies?? Only you'd be paying DK that much more money for essentially the same pitcher, only left handed.

Keuchel is far better than Davies was and is. Davies ceiling was Keuchel but he never reached that ceiling and probably won't. I was a big Davies fan and Davies is not anywhere close to what Keuchel is. Keuchel is a legit #1 or #2 pitcher with history of being that #1 or #2 type pitcher. Having Woodruff as the #1 followed by Keuchel is a good start to a rotation. If you want strike outs you can gamble on Bumgarner being Verlander but I believe he will be closer to 2018 Felix Hernandez than he will be closer to 2018 or 2019 Verlander.

The only other option that would be realistic is Kluber but the problem here is the Brewers don't have the prospects to get him from the Indians. Price is another player who can get you strike outs but that is a $96m gamble and if it doesn't pay off you are looking at having to trade Yelich next off season while also watching Price stinking it up. I don't think the Brewers are 1 pitcher away either as the Brewers need another bat and at least one more bullpen arm. So that means you either gamble on Price or Kluber only and hope they are the missing piece or you can spend money on Keuchel, plus a bullpen arm and another bat like Castellanos. Keuchel, bullpen arm and Castellanos just has a higher value than only one of Bumgarner/Price/Kluber.

The Brewers need to spread their money out and signing someone like Keuchel gives you the opportunity to do so.

Dallas Keuchel won a Cy Young just a few years ago, y'all acting like he's chopped liver! :laughing

Rick Porcello won a Cy Young even more recently than Kuechel. Stuff changes.

Rick Porcello had a 3.89 xFIP the season he won (for having 22 wins), and Keuchel has never stopped being a 3+ WAR pitcher. Sometimes stuff says the same.

Keuchel is far better than Davies was and is. Davies ceiling was Keuchel but he never reached that ceiling and probably won't. I was a big Davies fan and Davies is not anywhere close to what Keuchel is. Keuchel is a legit #1 or #2 pitcher with history of being that #1 or #2 type pitcher. Having Woodruff as the #1 followed by Keuchel is a good start to a rotation. If you want strike outs you can gamble on Bumgarner being Verlander but I believe he will be closer to 2018 Felix Hernandez than he will be closer to 2018 or 2019 Verlander.

The only other option that would be realistic is Kluber but the problem here is the Brewers don't have the prospects to get him from the Indians. Price is another player who can get you strike outs but that is a $96m gamble and if it doesn't pay off you are looking at having to trade Yelich next off season while also watching Price stinking it up. I don't think the Brewers are 1 pitcher away either as the Brewers need another bat and at least one more bullpen arm. So that means you either gamble on Price or Kluber only and hope they are the missing piece or you can spend money on Keuchel, plus a bullpen arm and another bat like Castellanos. Keuchel, bullpen arm and Castellanos just has a higher value than only one of Bumgarner/Price/Kluber.

The Brewers need to spread their money out and signing someone like Keuchel gives you the opportunity to do so.

IF Kuechel comes in and he's not their ONLY big spend, I can get behind it...but if he's their "headliner" FA, not so much. Like you said, they also need bats, and I LOVE Castellanos. Might be the biggest proponent for him on this board. Think his bat fits perfectly in their lineup and replaces some of what you lose with Grandal and Moose. If their big signings are Kuechel and Castellanos, I would consider it a pretty good off season..if I had to only pick one or the other, I'd take Castellanos if I'm being honest.

Dallas Keuchel won a Cy Young just a few years ago, y'all acting like he's chopped liver! :laughing

Rick Porcello won a Cy Young even more recently than Kuechel. Stuff changes.

Rick Porcello had a 3.89 xFIP the season he won (for having 22 wins), and Keuchel has never stopped being a 3+ WAR pitcher. Sometimes stuff says the same.

If you think Kuechel is the same pitcher now as he was in 2015 I guess we will have to just disagree.

Anyway, I was simply pointing out that a pitcher winning a Cy Young a few years ago isn't necessarily any guarantee of them being a great pitcher now or worth the investment.

Archived