Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

I also don't want to end up in the same position as last year where a guy flames and we can't find a guy to step in and patch the dam.

You catch lightning in a bottle more often with a lot of bottles.

I agree with your point, but disagree that we got "caught" last year without guys to patch the dam. Gonzalez and Lyles saved the season by patching the dam...but both were mid-season acquisitions, so perhaps that was your point. You'd rather start the year with those options rather than scrambling to find them.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I would prefer Hyun-jin Ryu over Wheeler even with the 3 year age difference.

Ryu is a walking injury. For the kind of coin he is going to get, with his injury history, I'd pass...

And no one else in the FA class can hold a candlestick to him. Everyone is always begging for a true ace, well there he is. His predicted price tag of $18mil a year for three years is not too shabby. He is a short term guy with a non crippling salary that could provide elite results. Seems like a pretty legit risk the Brewers could take.

As far as injuries Keuchel, who everyone is wanting, has averaged a grand 2.5 more starts per year the last three years.

Ryu might take us to the next level, Keuchel may help us continue being a WC team.

The guys I would target are Alex Wood, Gio Gonzalez, Taijuan Walker, and Michael Wacha. The best values available, IMO.

You must like throwing darts, huh?? That's what these are. Guys that could, MAYBE give the Brewers one decent(ish) year. Is that really going to improve the rotation much?? Other than maybe mad bum and Ryu, there are no pitchers out there that would clearly take the Brewers to the next level. *sigh* they are just always going to have "just guys and hope" for a pitching staff aren't they?? Can't they ever have 3 stud arms in one rotation?? That's my dream.

The guys I would target are Alex Wood, Gio Gonzalez, Taijuan Walker, and Michael Wacha. The best values available, IMO.

You must like throwing darts, huh?? That's what these are. Guys that could, MAYBE give the Brewers one decent(ish) year. Is that really going to improve the rotation much?? Other than maybe mad bum and Ryu, there are no pitchers out there that would clearly take the Brewers to the next level. *sigh* they are just always going to have "just guys and hope" for a pitching staff aren't they?? Can't they ever have 3 stud arms in one rotation?? That's my dream.

Two castoffs, Jordan Lyles and Drew Pomeranz, pitched like Cy Young contenders in August and September last year, and got this team to the playoffs. Wade Miley did it the year before. Perhaps these guys know what they are doing a little more than the "sign the namez!!!" guy.

Sign me up for adding Kuechel and Wood/Walker. We need to add a solid innings eater who can consistently go 6 innings and adding Wood or Walker gives you a pitcher who has the potential to be a solid #2 if he can remain healthy and put everything together.

I also don't want to end up in the same position as last year where a guy flames and we can't find a guy to step in and patch the dam.

You catch lightning in a bottle more often with a lot of bottles.

I agree with your point, but disagree that we got "caught" last year without guys to patch the dam. Gonzalez and Lyles saved the season by patching the dam...but both were mid-season acquisitions, so perhaps that was your point. You'd rather start the year with those options rather than scrambling to find them.

Yup that was my point. It took too long to stabilize. The late season run rescued the season but there was a lot of time lost shuffling.

Too be fair, Burnes Peralta and Chacin all failed pretty miserably in the starters role and Knebel shook up the pen. That's the exact reason I want the 2nd closer (McHugh) and Suter/Walker Peralta or Lauer stashed in multi inning roles with Burnes in AAA to start. Some of the vets won't work, but we kinda did it backwards last year and led with the guys who have options and didn't have the veteran base (harder to stash) to fall back on.

Two castoffs, Jordan Lyles and Drew Pomeranz, pitched like Cy Young contenders in August and September last year, and got this team to the playoffs. Wade Miley did it the year before. Perhaps these guys know what they are doing a little more than the "sign the namez!!!" guy.

They sure did, but that's essentially what I'm talking about...the Brewers sign "castoffs" and HOPE it works out for that year or two. In this instance it did. Some years it might, like with Lyles and Chacin and Miley. And where are they now?? Pitching elsewhere. Why?? Because the same guys that "know what they are doing", obviously knew they caught lightning in a bottle for that year. Good for them that they hit on it. But, let me ask you, is it a sustainable strategy?? Always hoping/thinking you can get a bounce back season from a guy?? We saw what happened after Chacin's one good year, we have seen what Lyles usually has been during his career, Miley didn't even crack the Astros postseason rotation.

You always rip on me wanting "name" guys...well, let me tell you something..who would be more likely to be a stud TOR guy for many years to come?? Strasburg or Miley?? Cole or Lyles?? I mean I could go on and on..if you need that explained to you, I'm not sure what to say. There's a reason those guys are "name" guys...it's really that simple.

They sure did, but that's essentially what I'm talking about...the Brewers sign "castoffs" and HOPE it works out for that year or two. In this instance it did. Some years it might, like with Lyles and Chacin and Miley. And where are they now?? Pitching elsewhere. Why?? Because the same guys that "know what they are doing", obviously knew they caught lightning in a bottle for that year. Good for them that they hit on it. But, let me ask you, is it a sustainable strategy?? Always hoping/thinking you can get a bounce back season from a guy?? We saw what happened after Chacin's one good year, we have seen what Lyles usually has been during his career, Miley didn't even crack the Astros postseason rotation.

You always rip on me wanting "name" guys...well, let me tell you something..who would be more likely to be a stud TOR guy for many years to come?? Strasburg or Miley?? Cole or Lyles?? I mean I could go on and on..if you need that explained to you, I'm not sure what to say. There's a reason those guys are "name" guys...it's really that simple.

The end rarely justifies the means when it comes to those huge contracts. I'm not adverse to risk, but signing a huge name pitcher to a $100+ million deal have very low odds of working out value-wise. That's what's simple.

First off, there is no need to include the “if you need that explained to you, I'm not sure what to say” type of condescension, so please stop.

Second, using terminology such as “throwing darts” and “HOPE” is inaccurate. They aren’t throwing darts at a player pool, they have a significant amount of advanced data on every pitcher they consider. This includes information most of us wouldn’t understand if they laid it all out in front of us. They are targeting acquisitions because they have made a calculated decision they can help enhance their success through a few tweaks or modifications. They certainly may end up being wrong, as everyone is at some point, but it isn’t a result of some arbitrary process for selecting trade and free agent targets.

It would be great to sign Cole and Strasburg instead, but as we’ve discussed ad nauseam that isn’t the reality of how the Brewers are going to be able to build out a rotation.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The end rarely justifies the means when it comes to those huge contracts. I'm not adverse to risk, but signing a huge name pitcher to a $100+ million deal have very low odds of working out value-wise. That's what's simple.

Because of age?? Well, how many guys have we seen through the years pitch just fine later into their late 30's and early 40's?? Going back a ways..Nolan Ryan, would you have taken him in his later years?? How about Randy Johnson?? Or Justin Verlander, or Adam Wainright?? i could go on, but that's just some examples of guys that were just as effective in their later years.

Because of age?? Well, how many guys have we seen through the years pitch just fine later into their late 30's and early 40's?? Going back a ways..Nolan Ryan, would you have taken him in his later years?? How about Randy Johnson?? Or Justin Verlander, or Adam Wainright?? i could go on, but that's just some examples of guys that were just as effective in their later years.

Now go through and name all the ones that weren't.

The Brewers are the type of franchise who has to bank ondrafting and developing or trading for TOR starters since they don’t have the luxury of going out and paying for one on the open market. Stearns is now trying to do so by catching lightening in a bottle on younger starters who haven’t hit their projected ceilings for any number of reasons which is also a calculated but much lower risk than paying someone like Wheeler $24MM annually for the next 5 years.

Now I don’t mind the idea and am elated when it does work out but also wish he wouldn’t put so much stock into these signings panning out. Although I also realize that having a limited payroll can limit the amount of veteran depth the Brewers can add via free agency and his reluctance to blow his entire wad in the offseason which would limit him before the trade deadline to make significant additions (i.e. Moustakas, Schoop, Pomeranz and Lyles). Meaning he needs to find a good balance which will obviously vary from year to year.

Age is only part of it. The other part is if you want them to go out and sign Strasburg or Cole, they will be paying 25% plus of their ENTIRE payroll to that player since it’ll be at the least $27 or 28 million per year for Strasburg. Cole will be another $5-$8 million. How will they field a competitive team around that?

I’ve been advocating for them getting Strasburg or Rendon this offseason knowing that a ton of their payroll will get eaten up. There is absolutely no way they go out and get a bunch of guys on $25 million contracts or higher. 1) Because they can’t afford it. And 2) because they won’t field a competitive team around the big name guys.

Do I think they can afford one? Absolutely. You bring in Strasburg for the rotation around $28 million per year (if that’s even enough), bring in a solid bat for first and third like Thames and Asdrubal Cabrera (all of this would already eat up about $40 million), and put the rest toward a bullpen arm or two and then a starter on a one year deal looking for a job somewhere shortly before Spring Training just to have an income that year. But again, that could be one of those “lightning in a bottle” guys that you would have no interest in.

I do agree that it’s something they should explore doing. But if they do that, you can absolutely count them out on big name sweepstakes for many years as they won’t be able to afford multiple players with salaries that high.

You want “3 stud arms in one rotation”? Then they need to sign Strasburg and trade Hader to bring in someone like Mackenzie Gore or one of the young guys from the White Sox and then hope that he pans out. Because there’s no way we can afford to bring in another high priced arm and actually put a solid team around them.

Age is only part of it. The other part is if you want them to go out and sign Strasburg or Cole, they will be paying 25% plus of their ENTIRE payroll to that player since it’ll be at the least $27 or 28 million per year for Strasburg. Cole will be another $5-$8 million. How will they field a competitive team around that?

I’ve been advocating for them getting Strasburg or Rendon this offseason knowing that a ton of their payroll will get eaten up. There is absolutely no way they go out and get a bunch of guys on $25 million contracts or higher. 1) Because they can’t afford it. And 2) because they won’t field a competitive team around the big name guys.

Do I think they can afford one? Absolutely. You bring in Strasburg for the rotation around $28 million per year (if that’s even enough), bring in a solid bat for first and third like Thames and Asdrubal Cabrera (all of this would already eat up about $40 million), and put the rest toward a bullpen arm or two and then a starter on a one year deal looking for a job somewhere shortly before Spring Training just to have an income that year. But again, that could be one of those “lightning in a bottle” guys that you would have no interest in.

I do agree that it’s something they should explore doing. But if they do that, you can absolutely count them out on big name sweepstakes for many years as they won’t be able to afford multiple players with salaries that high.

You want “3 stud arms in one rotation”? Then they need to sign Strasburg and trade Hader to bring in someone like Mackenzie Gore or one of the young guys from the White Sox and then hope that he pans out. Because there’s no way we can afford to bring in another high priced arm and actually put a solid team around them.

I would be completely fine with signing one...like Strasburg or Rendon etc. There is simply ZERO reason(as you laid out beautifully), why they couldn't do that. They could almost any year, but they never do...I think that's what is frustrating for me. They have done it with bats, but not pitching, and as I have said before, they either better get VERY VERY lucky, that they will home grow a Pitcher, or they have to buy them, if they ever want to have a rotation that is more than just "bit pieces".

Even having two studs at the top of the rotation would help immensely. You have Woody...now add Strasburg?? Damn! Right there you have two studs, that will repeatedly go deep into games(which saves your bullpen) and that would seem to be a benefit for the entire club, right?? I know they have access to a lot more data then any of us ever will have, but on the surface, that seems like a VERY beneficial move that the team should make. I just wish they would be more open to buying big time arms.

I would be completely fine with signing one...like Strasburg or Rendon etc. There is simply ZERO reason(as you laid out beautifully), why they couldn't do that. They could almost any year, but they never do...I think that's what is frustrating for me. They have done it with bats, but not pitching, and as I have said before, they either better get VERY VERY lucky, that they will home grow a Pitcher, or they have to buy them, if they ever want to have a rotation that is more than just "bit pieces".

Even having two studs at the top of the rotation would help immensely. You have Woody...now add Strasburg?? Damn! Right there you have two studs, that will repeatedly go deep into games(which saves your bullpen) and that would seem to be a benefit for the entire club, right?? I know they have access to a lot more data then any of us ever will have, but on the surface, that seems like a VERY beneficial move that the team should make. I just wish they would be more open to buying big time arms.

Here is where I agree with you to a point. They absolutely could and should add one. I hope it’s Strasburg or Rendon. If they add Strasburg, they have him and Woodruff to start for them 4-5 times in a 7 game series.

If you put together a rotation of Strasburg, Woodruff, Houser, Lauer, and someone still looking for a job around Spring Training, they would be fine. You only need 3 starters essentially for the playoffs. And having those 2 up top will lead to a lot of wins in the regular season.

If you add Rendon though, the offense becomes elite.

CF Cain

2B Hiura

RF Yelich

3B Rendon

C Narvaez

LF Braun

SS Urias

1B

P

That would be a top 5 offense in MLB, but lacking the horses at the top of the rotation. I think a lot of people agree with you in that we could realistically add a big free agent like that, but the way it’s presented comes off as aggressive and condescending. And not every move is going to be a big needle mover. Their moves this offseason of adding a top 20 prospect, back of the rotation arm, and a top 5 offensive catcher in the game only adds $4 million to our payroll. That leaves room to possibly bring in a big name guy like you’re suggesting. Plus these guys have more upside and higher floors than what we’ve been tossing out there the last couple years. These moves will lengthen our contending window, free up money for bigger name guys, and raise the floor of the entire team. It’s basically a win win situation.

But I do agree that this is the time to go all in on a big guy like one of the two listed because we have a legit 3 year window with Yelich and need to make a serious run at a World Series by taking a gamble at some point. Adding a big bat like Rendon at age 29 and has at least 3-4 prime years left would do wonders for this offense. Strasburg is 31, but is a guy that I think will be like Scherzer and remain elite into his late 30’s. I think he’s a pretty safe bet as well.

Both would be awesome additions for us. Just keep in mind that for us to even have a chance at bringing in one of those guys, we need to save money elsewhere like we’ve done so far this offseason. I love the offseason moves so far and look forward to seeing what they do. Especially next week at the winter meetings. I would guess Stearns pulls off at least one trade next week. And possibly a signing as well. Really looking forward to seeing what happens the next week.

Here is where I agree with you to a point. They absolutely could and should add one. I hope it’s Strasburg or Rendon. If they add Strasburg, they have him and Woodruff to start for them 4-5 times in a 7 game series.

If you put together a rotation of Strasburg, Woodruff, Houser, Lauer, and someone still looking for a job around Spring Training, they would be fine. You only need 3 starters essentially for the playoffs. And having those 2 up top will lead to a lot of wins in the regular season.

CF Cain

2B Hiura

RF Yelich

3B Rendon

C Narvaez

LF Braun

SS Urias

1B

P

That would be a top 5 offense in MLB, but lacking the horses at the top of the rotation. I think a lot of people agree with you in that we could realistically add a big free agent like that, but the way it’s presented comes off as aggressive and condescending. And not every move is going to be a big needle mover. Their moves this offseason of adding a top 20 prospect, back of the rotation arm, and a top 5 offensive catcher in the game only adds $4 million to our payroll. That leaves room to possibly bring in a big name guy like you’re suggesting. Plus these guys have more upside and higher floors than what we’ve been tossing out there the last couple years. These moves will lengthen our contending window, free up money for bigger name guys, and raise the floor of the entire team. It’s basically a win win situation.

But I do agree that this is the time to go all in on a big guy like one of the two listed because we have a legit 3 year window with Yelich and need to make a serious run at a World Series by taking a gamble at some point. Adding a big bat like Rendon at age 29 and has at least 3-4 prime years left would do wonders for this offense. Strasburg is 31, but is a guy that I think will be like Scherzer and remain elite into his late 30’s. I think he’s a pretty safe bet as well.

Both would be awesome additions for us. Just keep in mind that for us to even have a chance at bringing in one of those guys, we need to save money elsewhere like we’ve done so far this offseason. I love the offseason moves so far and look forward to seeing what they do. Especially next week at the winter meetings. I would guess Stearns pulls off at least one trade next week. And possibly a signing as well. Really looking forward to seeing what happens the next week.

My biggest concern is not having seen the Brewers mentioned with any of these guys. I know, I know, Stearns keeps things close to the vest, but when I think about previous trade deadlines for example, we would always see the Brewers interested in someone. There hasn't been anything like that thus far as far as Free agents go. You would think something would leak. I'd love Rendon as well. he or Strasburg are my dreams. I'm interested to see what this week brings for the Crew...I'm HOPEFUL it brings a signing or a trade(just skeptical it will). They have a lot of spots to fill yet.

Doesn't look like they are in on Ryu...

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

·

10m

#MNTwins are in on Hyun-Jin Ryu. Also: Jays and Dodgers (tho his old team is also looking even higher (Cole/Strasburg)

CF Cain

2B Hiura

RF Yelich

3B Rendon

C Narvaez

LF Braun

SS Urias

1B

P

My biggest concern is not having seen the Brewers mentioned with any of these guys. I know, I know, Stearns keeps things close to the vest, but when I think about previous trade deadlines for example, we would always see the Brewers interested in someone. There hasn't been anything like that thus far as far as Free agents go. You would think something would leak. I'd love Rendon as well. he or Strasburg are my dreams. I'm interested to see what this week brings for the Crew...I'm HOPEFUL it brings a signing or a trade(just skeptical it will). They have a lot of spots to fill yet.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

·

10m

#MNTwins are in on Hyun-Jin Ryu. Also: Jays and Dodgers (tho his old team is also looking even higher (Cole/Strasburg)

There was NO mention from anywhere that they were "in" on Grandal last year until he was signed. Stearns does keep things incredibly close to the vest, especially when it comes to free agent acquisitions.

Did we hear about the Urias deal until it happened? We didn't hear about the Navarez deal until the day it happened. Of all those rumors of who the Brewers were going after the last couple of years, how many actually came to fruition? How many were legit rumors? Do you honestly believe that DS hasn't gone into the off season with a plan? I'm sorry you are disappointed DS isn't sharing his plan with you but that was probably a pretty high expectation for you to have. Let it play out and see what happens. If the plan turns out to be garbage, then I'd think most of the board will have something to say about it.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

They aren't signing Strasburg or Rendon. Sorry, obviously my opinion here, but nothing about the Brewers' fiscal habits leads me to believe they are going to dole out that kind of money on a long-term free agent on a long contract that they know won't end well.

If you want to dream on a guy or two, dream on Ryu or Donaldson. Those are far more realistic targets that could possibly be in our range on a short term deal for a high AAV.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

·

10m

I’ve thought it was kind of interesting too that we haven’t really been linked to anyone yet. But Stearns is definitely making calls and communicating with players. It’s just odd not seeing us linked at all.

I do think we are going to bring in some big name guy though partially because of the rebranding, but also because of all the money they cleared off. I don’t see us filling out the rest of the roster with rookies making under $600K and fielding a worse team than last year, in a way “wasting” a year of Yelich. That just makes no sense to me. I feel that something is in the works and something big will happen. Whether that’ll be in the next week or in January, who knows. But I feel strongly that we are going to field a competitive team every year and not take a step back with having Yelich here on such a team friendly deal.

Archived