Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Still expecting Jordan Lyles to be our big free agent starting pitcher signing.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Lyles come back on something like a 2-year/$10-12 million deal. I'd love to see it, actually. In my opinion, it was a pretty big mistake not picking up his option last offseason.

That said, if he's their biggest starting pitching move this offseason, fans might show up at Brewers On Deck in January with torches and pitchforks.

With Hamels just signing a 1 year 18M deal with the Braves, do we think that we can get Lyles for 2 years 10-12M? He doesn't have near the track record that Hamels does (obviously), but with players getting more money this winter than the previous two - I just wonder if that type of deal will get it done for Lyles now? Are we looking more at a 2 year 16-18M type offer?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in another thread, but when mentioning Hamels and Lyles I noticed their 2019 seasons were eerily similar:

Hamels' 2019: 27 G, 27 GS, 141.2 IP, .740 OPS-A, 1.391 WHIP, 9.1 K/9, 2.55 K/BB

Lyles' 2019: 28 G, 28 GS, 141.0 IP, .767 OPS-A, 1.319 WHIP, 9.3 K/9, 2.65 K/BB

If Hamels got $18M, and Lyles will cost only $6M/year, I'd jump on Lyles in a heartbeat. Especially since he is seven years younger than Hamels.

This is going to get ugly quick if the Reds sign Bumgarner.

What is going to get ugly? Who cares what the Reds do? They have proven absolutely nothing besides the fact that they operate like a rudderless ship.

First, I care. They're in our division. Second, they seem to be getting the pieces they need and we're not. Third, they are in direct competition with us on starters.

Assuming we're out on a pitcher like Strasburg (Yankees interest) and Cole, and now that Wheeler's gone the other impactful SP's will dry up. Yes, I'm a little worried right now.

Boy do I hope the Reds sign Madbum. It’ll be fun seeing his reactions to all those gopher balls he gives up when he’s in that tiny park in Cincy.

Over the last 3 years:

Home: 239 IP 3.47 FIP 3.92 xFIP

Away: 209 IP 4.48 FIP 4.64 xFIP

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What is going to get ugly? Who cares what the Reds do? They have proven absolutely nothing besides the fact that they operate like a rudderless ship.

First, I care. They're in our division. Second, they seem to be getting the pieces they need and we're not. Third, they are in direct competition with us on starters.

Assuming we're out on a pitcher like Strasburg (Yankees interest) and Cole, and now that Wheeler's gone the other impactful SP's will dry up. Yes, I'm a little worried right now.

The Reds were much better "on paper" last year than they ended up being, too. Until they actually perform up to that hype, they don't worry me in the least. They were predicted to go out and spend, and they are. That's fine. It wouldn't be the first team to make a big offseason splash, then underperform.

I’d consider Lyles and look into Aaron Sanchez. Perhaps Wade Miley if the price is right

Approach Aaron Sanchez with caution...

He has been constantly hurt over past few seasons and had IIRC shoulder surgery as his 2019 season ended early. I was surprised Houston non-tendered him but it could be 2 possible things:

1) ploy for getting Sanchez re-signed to a cheaper deal OR

2) the Astros have already seen enough (of either the medicals or the way Sanchez conducts himself in the clubhouse/ with training staff etc) to cut Sanchez loose ASAP to avoid having to pay any more to him..

We shall see where it ends up...

As for Miley, I would be shocked if he returned to Houston. Being left of the post-season roster for multiple rounds had to bother him especially as the Nationals rallied to win the title..

Signing Lyles & Miley makes sense for the Crew but I suspect many fans want more & would be disappointed if that is all the rotation help (with Lauer) for the off-season...

Boy do I hope the Reds sign Madbum. It’ll be fun seeing his reactions to all those gopher balls he gives up when he’s in that tiny park in Cincy.

Over the last 3 years:

Home: 239 IP 3.47 FIP 3.92 xFIP

Away: 209 IP 4.48 FIP 4.64 xFIP

If I'm Bumgarner's agent, I'm talking to Tampa Bay, San Diego, or maybe even the Dodgers.

Lyles & Keuchel works ...

The only way this works is if you get third base and first base filled cheap.

Best way to do that is to deal Hader to the Mets for McNeil/Davis/Smith.

ss: Urias

2b: Hiura

rf: Yelich

1b: Davis

3b: McNeil

lf: Braun

c: Pina

cf: Cain

pitcher

bench: Nottingham, Smith, Gamel, Hernandez, Mathias

rotation: Woodruff, Keuchel, Houser, Lyles, Miley

bullpen: Knebel, Suter, Peralta, Lauer, D. Williams, Perdomo, Yardley, Faria

Why does spending and estimated 27 mil on Dallas Lyles and Miley force us to trade Hader?

How does it prevent you from spending on inexpensive filler options at 1b 3b.

Or are you just here to push your idea in another thread?

Your post has literally nothing to do with PITCHING!

The Reds had a number of guys overproduce last season and finished under .500. They are not really much of a threat compared to the rest of the division.

The guys I would target are Alex Wood, Gio Gonzalez, Taijuan Walker, and Michael Wacha. The best values available, IMO.

Wacha was horrible last year and declining quickly. Wood and Walker would be very interesting depending on how they have recovered from their injuries. Their asking price woudl also have a lot to do with their signability. I think Stearns could still get Gio for about the same price as last year. He is a vet on the downside of his career and likely a pen/spot 3-4 inning starter where ever he goes. He'd be ahead of Wacha but way behind the other two.

Ranking 2020 free agents plus current Brewers by 2017-2019 FIP (100+ IP as SP), including those that have already signed

3. Jimmy Nelson, 3.24 FIP, 187.1 IP [returning from injury]

4. Brandon Woodruff, 3.51 FIP, 180.1 IP

5. Hyun-Jin Ryu, 3.62 FIP, 387.2 IP

7. Alex Wood, 3.77 FIP, 330.2 IP [returning from injury]

10. Madison Bumgarner, 3.94 FIP, 448.1 IP

11. Dallas Keuchel, 3.97 FIP, 463.0 IP

12. Taijuan Walker, 4.02 FIP, 171.1 IP [returning from injury]

13. Gio Gonzalez, 4.07 FIP, 453.0 IP

14. Brent Suter, 4.14 FIP, 165.0 IP

--na. Adrian Houser, 4.22 FIP, 80.2 IP [below ranking threshold]

15. Freddy Peralta, 4.23 FIP, 109.1 IP

18. Clay Buchholz, 4.30 FIP, 164.2 IP

20. Tanner Roark, 4.32 FIP, 520.2 IP

21. Michael Wacha, 4.36 FIP, 364.0 IP [returning from injury]

22. Eric Lauer, 4.36 FIP, 260.1 IP

23. Kevin Gausman, 4.38 FIP, 452.1 IP

Not sure if it makes sense to look much below Gausman for guys to slot into the rotation as opposed to depth. Our internal options are likely better.

FWIW, I think Corbin Burnes deserves a look in the rotation again too. He was unlucky, plain and simple. In his 17.2 IP as a starter he has a 3.99 xFIP but got decimated on HR/FB%.

We don't need to sign a FA or make a trade. I wouldn't sleep on a rotation of:

Woodruff

Burnes

Houser

Lauer

Suter/Peralta

We don't need to sign a FA or make a trade. I wouldn't sleep on a rotation of:

Woodruff

Burnes

Houser

Lauer

Suter/Peralta

At minimum, I want Gausman Lyles and Walker(if he'll except a super pen role). That's also not really about NEED. I want Suter Peralta and Lauer to start in the pen. We've seen Suter and Peralta do great work there. I also don't want to end up in the same position as last year where a guy flames and we can't find a guy to step in and patch the dam.

My main reason behind wanting Gausman Lyles (and I'm 50/50 on Miley) and Walker is to build in team depth.

People wanted Wheeler. Well if I could take that 24 mil and get Gausman Lyles Walker (2ip pen?) McHugh (2ip pen or closer) Cishek (SU), while committing to none of them beyond 2021, that's what I want to do. It's not about upgrading the team from an elite talent view point. It's about depth.

Woodruff Houser Lyles Gausman Lauer/Walker/Suter

Knebel Cishek, Hader McHugh Peralta Suter Walker and Black.

You catch lightning in a bottle more often with a lot of bottles.

Archived