Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Trying to piece together a rotation.

1. Woodruff

2. ?????

3. Houser

4. Lauer

5. Nelson/Burnes/Peralta/Faria/Suter. May the best man win!

Just need that #2..

Or how about Strasburg as #1 and Woody #2?

That I can get behind.

We NEED another TOR arm, without it, we can only hope to contend as far as the pitching goes...

Need context.

Strasburg opted out of his deal in Washington for one reason: an attempt to break the bank.

There’s zero chance he signs a contract for less than top dollar giving he already opted out of a huge contract.

There’s zero chance the Brewers commit 120+ million dollars to a free agent pitcher.

Strasburg as a brewer....ain’t happening

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking a trade for Robbie Ray still in the works...No inside info

Ray seems like a bit of an enigma to me. Other than a GREAT 2017, his FIP numbers are bad, and he doesn't really log a lot of innings either. I think there's a chance you have to pay to acquire an all-star level pitcher who actually has Zach Davies-like numbers.

I am really surprised nobody is mentioning Dallas Keuchel here. He has been such a good pitcher his entire career and it feels like he is flying under the radar with the marquee free agent pitchers on the market this year. He just seems like a Stearns signing. Tons of ground balls, uses the cutter often, and limits the HR ball.

I am really surprised nobody is mentioning Dallas Keuchel here. He has been such a good pitcher his entire career and it feels like he is flying under the radar with the marquee free agent pitchers on the market this year. He just seems like a Stearns signing. Tons of ground balls, uses the cutter often, and limits the HR ball.

Mlbtr predicts 3/39 for him. I hope the Brewers sign a starter at least at his level and one cheap Gio/Miley type as well

Wheeler reportedly is going to make more than 5 years/$100M

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/zack-wheeler-bidding-already-in-nine-figures.html

He is exactly the type of pitcher someone thinking of contending (ie Twins, ChiSox, Brewers) should be targeting.

I am not surprised by the years & money figure already being tossed around.

I am happy that Wheeler wants this done sooner than later. That way he can remove the anxiety from his life before the holidays are in full swing

Wheeler reportedly is going to make more than 5 years/$100M

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/zack-wheeler-bidding-already-in-nine-figures.html

If the Brewers were ever going to spend big money on a FA SP, these will be the type of players they ultimately will land. Not saying I would give Wheeler specifically $20m per, but I the Brewers will have to take risks on guys like him (potential ace stuff but with higher injury risk) given the current economic disadvantages of small markets.

I believe Toronto is the team that has submitted this offer to Wheeler. I don't see the Brewers getting into this bidding at this price for this player.

If Wheeler didn't have the risk of him falling apart due to injuries I believe they would be in on him if the injury concerns weren't there.

I think I would prefer Hyun-jin Ryu over Wheeler even with the 3 year age difference.

Ryu is a walking injury. For the kind of coin he is going to get, with his injury history, I'd pass...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think Dallas Keuchel is going to be the get for the Brewers. Ground ball pitcher, lefty, out getter. I think he will fit more in the budget then these insane offers for overhyped Wheeler.

Dallas Keuchel would certainly seem to fit the bill of what the Brewers could realistically be looking at. Signing him and Lyles or Miley to go with Woodruff, Houser and Lauer gives the Brewers at worst an average rotation, and at best an above average one.

I think Dallas Keuchel is going to be the get for the Brewers. Ground ball pitcher, lefty, out getter. I think he will fit more in the budget then these insane offers for overhyped Wheeler.

This sounds familiar. Shades of last off-season.

Too bad that they didn't pick up Morton last year... but what's done is done...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Dallas Keuchel would certainly seem to fit the bill of what the Brewers could realistically be looking at. Signing him and Lyles or Miley to go with Woodruff, Houser and Lauer gives the Brewers at worst an average rotation, and at best an above average one.

Say that is doable and we end up with a staff of Keuchel Lyles ( pitched well in Milwaukee but who knows)Miley ( to up and down .)Woodruff ( can he repeat) and Lauer ( I personally liked Davis better but I get it leftie with some up side)Thats not that big of difference from last years staff as far as talent goes. (Keuchel could be the wild card but he’s not a number 1 type pitcher any more ) and you have lost a lot of fire power to your lineup. I just don’t see any significant upgrade to the starting rotation if that’s how it ends up.

Say that is doable and we end up with a staff of Keuchel Lyles ( pitched well in Milwaukee but who knows)Miley ( to up and down .)Woodruff ( can he repeat) and Lauer ( I personally liked Davis better but I get it leftie with some up side)Thats not that big of difference from last years staff as far as talent goes. (Keuchel could be the wild card but he’s not a number 1 type pitcher any more ) and you have lost a lot of fire power to your lineup. I just don’t see any significant upgrade to the starting rotation if that’s how it ends up.

Keuchel would be a sizable upgrade over what they tossed out there last year. Significantly sizable, actually. They are going to have to take some leaps of faith in the rotation as well. Hoping Houser can make a jump, and that Lyles August and September was for real might be those leaps. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them sign a guy like Lindblom too.

Dallas would be fine for me at the right price and years. Good pitcher that could help stabilize our rotation.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I believe Toronto is the team that has submitted this offer to Wheeler. I don't see the Brewers getting into this bidding at this price for this player.

If Wheeler didn't have the risk of him falling apart due to injuries I believe they would be in on him if the injury concerns weren't there.

Mlbtr says White Sox will beat 5-100 put him down for 5-120

Still expecting Jordan Lyles to be our big free agent starting pitcher signing.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Lyles come back on something like a 2-year/$10-12 million deal. I'd love to see it, actually. In my opinion, it was a pretty big mistake not picking up his option last offseason.

That said, if he's their biggest starting pitching move this offseason, fans might show up at Brewers On Deck in January with torches and pitchforks.

Archived