Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Wheeler is way better than Lyles in just about every category that matters. The one that is most interesting is how does Lyles have a Negative Career WAR while Wheeler is 10.2 Career WAR. This isn't comparable. If the Brewers want to be cheap they go Lyles. if they want to get serious they open the pocketbook and spend a little bit..

Oh interesting, another poster that doesn't realize the Brewers are on a budget and can't spend infinite money...

Why would you waste time with Wheeler when Cole and Strasburg are available?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i remember them. They weren't big names. CC and Greinke are the only big name SP's the Brewers have had in the last 11 years.

Wow. I'd argue that Garza was every bit the "name" Wheeler was at the time of his signing. Suppan was considered a major "get" at the time as well, while Lohse was a big signing too. Just because those guys didn't put up huge numbers in there time at Brewers doesn't mean that they weren't considered very big acquisitions at the time.

In the end Suppan was a bust, but Garza and Lohse at least lived up to a big portion of their bug deals.

I wouldn't say Garza lived up to his deal. He had a pretty decent first year, it was mostly injuries and garbage after that. Very inconsistent. As soon as he'd get it going, he'd get hurt.

Wolfie, on the other hand, lived up to his until the last season. Lohse too.

i know it hasn’t been talked about much, but could Strasburg be a target for the Brewers? I just have a hard time thinking the Brewers aren’t going to do something substantial with their starting pitching. Maybe not quite Strasburg level, but I do think that if the Brewers are serious about winning a World Series (which they are), they need to get a horse to rely on who can give the bullpen an easy day most of the time when he starts. Also, having a guy like him leading the rotation into the postseason that can start for you 2-3 times in a series is a must if you’re going to have a real shot at winning the whole thing.

There aren’t many of those guys available, but you need to have at least one guy like that to have a legit shot in the postseason. We can fill out the rest of the rotation with Davies/Houser types, but I think it’s time to get a guy. I’ve had a feeling that Stearns is going to surprise us with some big starting pitching acquisition this offseason with how it’s been mostly neglected the last few years and just how bad our rotation really was at times last season.

What would Strasburg be looking at for a deal? Would 6/$165 million get it done? The time is now with having a super star on a team friendly deal for 3 years. Our window is arguably that time frame. If we are rebuilding and have Strasburg under contract for a couple more years, it’s no big deal. If he’s pitching well, we move him and add some nice prospects down the road. If he loses effectiveness down the road, no harm done. I just think that it’s time to do something big with the rotation and I truly believe Stearns is going to do just that.

Having him and Woodruff making 5 starts combined in a series going 7 games sounds pretty darn good to me. Mix in Davies, Houser, and someone like Lyles for the regular season and we will have a very good rotation. Let’s bring in a workhorse and make a real run at a World Series.

Wheeler is way better than Lyles in just about every category that matters. The one that is most interesting is how does Lyles have a Negative Career WAR while Wheeler is 10.2 Career WAR. This isn't comparable. If the Brewers want to be cheap they go Lyles. if they want to get serious they open the pocketbook and spend a little bit..

Oh interesting, another poster that doesn't realize the Brewers are on a budget and can't spend infinite money...

Why would you waste time with Wheeler when Cole and Strasburg are available?

There is a major difference between being on a budget and saying you are poor and just not spending any money because you want to line your own pockets even more.

i know it hasn’t been talked about much, but could Strasburg be a target for the Brewers? I just have a hard time thinking the Brewers aren’t going to do something substantial with their starting pitching. Maybe not quite Strasburg level, but I do think that if the Brewers are serious about winning a World Series (which they are), they need to get a horse to rely on who can give the bullpen an easy day most of the time when he starts. Also, having a guy like him leading the rotation into the postseason that can start for you 2-3 times in a series is a must if you’re going to have a real shot at winning the whole thing.

There aren’t many of those guys available, but you need to have at least one guy like that to have a legit shot in the postseason. We can fill out the rest of the rotation with Davies/Houser types, but I think it’s time to get a guy. I’ve had a feeling that Stearns is going to surprise us with some big starting pitching acquisition this offseason with how it’s been mostly neglected the last few years and just how bad our rotation really was at times last season.

What would Strasburg be looking at for a deal? Would 6/$165 million get it done? The time is now with having a super star on a team friendly deal for 3 years. Our window is arguably that time frame. If we are rebuilding and have Strasburg under contract for a couple more years, it’s no big deal. If he’s pitching well, we move him and add some nice prospects down the road. If he loses effectiveness down the road, no harm done. I just think that it’s time to do something big with the rotation and I truly believe Stearns is going to do just that.

Having him and Woodruff making 5 starts combined in a series going 7 games sounds pretty darn good to me. Mix in Davies, Houser, and someone like Lyles for the regular season and we will have a very good rotation. Let’s bring in a workhorse and make a real run at a World Series.

EXACTLY!!! Mark A has money that he can spend. often times we say oh well we can't compete with these big market teams, but it is so innaccuarate to the extent that people say it. Can they spend $200mill a year? No, but they could likely go to $160-$175 million for a few years and then go back down to a more moderate level (100-120mill a year).

EXACTLY!!! Mark A has money that he can spend. often times we say oh well we can't compete with these big market teams, but it is so innaccuarate to the extent that people say it. Can they spend $200mill a year? No, but they could likely go to $160-$175 million for a few years and then go back down to a more moderate level (100-120mill a year).

You're basing that statement on what, exactly?

You're basing that statement on what, exactly?

Why does it feel like Groundhog Day?

Where did you come up with the $175M figure and how do you know M.A. can spend that much for 3-4 years? As far as I know, Mark A nor Stearns has ever come out with a figure on max spending.

Where did you come up with the $175M figure and how do you know M.A. can spend that much for 3-4 years? As far as I know, Mark A nor Stearns has ever come out with a figure on max spending.

For reference on this particular poster's train of thought, I present Exhibit A: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=37899

Needless to say, the poster didn't comment following last winter's Moustakas and Grandal acquisitions.

The Reds are interested in Zach Wheeler? You don't say?

https://theathletic.com/1401490/2019/11/22/rosenthal-the-reds-are-interested-in-zack-wheeler-the-braves-big-bullpen-bet-more-notes/

I don't know who leaks the Reds interest in free agents every offseason, but they are literally interested in everyone, every year, and hardly ever do they actually pull the trigger.

Apparently the Indians are receiving interest in their starting pitchers, and nobody is off-limits.

Wonder if a Hiura+others for Shane Bieber could be in play?

https://www.letsgotribe.com/2019/11/14/20964595/indians-young-starting-pitching-drawing-interest

Bieber gave up a lot of HRs last year, but he would be one that I would consider trading Hiura for. I have to wonder why would the Tribe even do it though.

Apparently the Indians are receiving interest in their starting pitchers, and nobody is off-limits.

Wonder if a Hiura+others for Shane Bieber could be in play?

https://www.letsgotribe.com/2019/11/14/20964595/indians-young-starting-pitching-drawing-interest

Bieber gave up a lot of HRs last year, but he would be one that I would consider trading Hiura for. I have to wonder why would the Tribe even do it though.

If you read the linked article its clear the Tribe will listen on everyone.

That said, the cost to get some players (like Bieber) would be thru the roof, to the point of being unrealistic.

Hasn't it kinda always been the Indians' M.O. to "listen" on everyone? Rarely do they make the big move, though.

*cough*CC*cough*

Yeah, a couple moves in a decade. I think that would qualify as rare. They flipped Bauer last year, which was considered big at the tie, even though he was terrible once he got to Cincy.

He isn't a free agent, but rumor has it that the Orioles are trying to deal Dylan Bundy. And they just waived their starting SS yesterday in a cost-cutting move. I wonder if they would consider swapping Bundy for Arcia?

I'd put Bundy's surplus value at about 16 million and Arcia's surplus value at about 0.

He isn't a free agent, but rumor has it that the Orioles are trying to deal Dylan Bundy. And they just waived their starting SS yesterday in a cost-cutting move. I wonder if they would consider swapping Bundy for Arcia?

I'd put Bundy's surplus value at about 16 million and Arcia's surplus value at about 0.

Never know if there is some team out there that thinks they can fix him. I would imagine there is.

Trying to piece together a rotation.

1. Woodruff

2. ?????

3. Houser

4. Lauer

5. Nelson/Burnes/Peralta/Faria/Suter. May the best man win!

Just need that #2, lots of names possible, those that peaks my interest are Ryu, Miley, Wood, Teheran and Porcello.

Ryu is going to get a round $20 mil a year, so that's not going to happen. Teheran has lost velocity to where his average fastball was 89.9 mph last year. Trending down, no thanks. Porcello, might be a good bounceback chance, changing leagues would benefit him and he would probably go for a 1 year contract. Problem is it appears it would be upwards of 10mil+ and is flyball heavy, not a good fit in Miller and that is too rich for this club.

This leaves me with Miley and Wood. Wood has the higher upside and would again be open to a one year prove it deal, last year the back injury just derailed his entire season, very effective in '17 and'18, but even then he was averaging around 6 innings per game. Just not sure if I would sink 8-10 million on a one year deal.

I like Miley, wish they would have brought him back last year, I think he just wore down late season in Houston. We know who he is and what he's capable of and he could be signed for a reasonable contract, 2/14-16?

And that's it, for me the biggest bang for the buck is Miley. i know teams are really not to up on reunions, but this makes too much sense for me.

1. Woodruff

2. ?????

3. Houser

4. Lauer

Just need that #2, lots of names possible, those that peaks my interest are Ryu, Miley, Wood, Teheran and Porcello.

Ryu is going to get a round $20 mil a year, so that's not going to happen. Teheran has lost velocity to where his average fastball was 89.9 mph last year. Trending down, no thanks. Porcello, might be a good bounceback chance, changing leagues would benefit him and he would probably go for a 1 year contract. Problem is it appears it would be upwards of 10mil+ and is flyball heavy, not a good fit in Miller and that is too rich for this club.

This leaves me with Miley and Wood. Wood has the higher upside and would again be open to a one year prove it deal, last year the back injury just derailed his entire season, very effective in '17 and'18, but even then he was averaging around 6 innings per game. Just not sure if I would sink 8-10 million on a one year deal.

I like Miley, wish they would have brought him back last year, I think he just wore down late season in Houston. We know who he is and what he's capable of and he could be signed for a reasonable contract, 2/14-16?

And that's it, for me the biggest bang for the buck is Miley. i know teams are really not to up on reunions, but this makes too much sense for me.

Miley really ran out of gas starting the second week of August. He would be a last resort type guy if all else failed. Certainly not a TOR guy, but a competent starter if he comes affordable.

1. Woodruff

2. ?????

3. Houser

4. Lauer

Just need that #2..

Or how about Strasburg as #1 and Woody #2?

That I can get behind.

We NEED another TOR arm, without it, we can only hope to contend as far as the pitching goes...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived