Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

I am pretty sure DS is going to add a quality starter this offseason someone who going to go more than 4 or 5 Innings.

I thought that last year, and I'm not falling into that trap again this year... although I do hope to be wrong about that... :laughing

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have interest in the all the guys that are in the same tier as Wheeler, but I think all those guys will end up going for more money then they are really worth. I'm having a hard time finding a pitcher that I like and think would be a good fit at the right price. Keuchel maybe...those ugly peripherals but the ground ball rate could play up in Miller Park. Still, not really all that excited about him either.

The more and more I look, the more and more I'd like to see the Brewers make a bigger offer to Grandal. Not really finding all that much in free agency that excites me.

I am pretty sure DS is going to add a quality starter this offseason someone who going to go more than 4 or 5 Innings.

I thought that last year, and I'm not falling into that trap again this year... although I do hope to be wrong about that... :laughing

It will be interesting to see how he constructs the roster in light of the new roster limitations. How much faith does he have in burnes/peralta bouncing back? Houser still in rotation? Love this time of year!

I think the Brewers will go after Zack Wheeler, Madison Bumgarner, & Jake Odorizzi. No idea if they'll manage to sign one of them

Wheeler jumps off page to me since Brewers have linked to him multiple times over the years. Odorizzi is another one due to starting in our system that I had always liked to have back on team.

I just hope we do something. How exciting was WS with 3 aces on both teams battling it out? Woodruff & 4 other guys you hope workout isn’t best approach

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

What about Wheeler's numbers makes so many on here want him?

Seriously?

He brings high velocity and has name recognition. Been a overly hyped guy for a long time. Numbers don't really point to anything special, though. I'd rather take Kyle Gibson and Jordan Lyles and probably still have a nice chunk of change left over.

I remember everyone being so blessed that Wheeler trade fell apart. Looking back it would have given us a true ace in both 2018 and 2019. Of course the eventual Gomez trade turned out quite nicely, but seems the Wheeler trade would not have been too shabby either.

I don't see Wheeler happening at all. He is kind of the Cole fallback for teams and I really can't fathom us handing out a 5/$100mil deal or anything close to that.

I am curious if in all the advanced stats that are kept/ available, there is a solid/ good starting pitcher that is a free agent this off season that gets absolutely destroyed/ owned by Yelich or Braun...

It might be a selling point for Stearns - "Hey your pretty good already but now Yelich (or Braun) is on your team and not batting against you. Come join us."

• 2 weeks later...
I saw on rotoworld that some Japanese pitcher is gonna be posted, anybody know how good he projects to be and if we should pursue him?

Shun Yamaguchi of the Yomiuri Giants is being posted. 32 years old and lead the Japanese lg. in strikeouts and innings pitched. Looks to be a #4-5 starter or a pen guy in MLB. Fastball tops out at about 95 with a good breaking ball. However scouts say the difference in the Japanese ball may make a difference with his slider/curve.

I agree that the contract Wheeler will be offered by some team will be too risky given his injury history.

Would love to add a veteran SP like a Bumgarner or a Hamels, but fully expect the Brewers to sign a Lyles/Miley type bargin SP.

Would love from them to take a chance on a guy like Julio Teheran, however.

Wheeler is way better than Lyles in just about every category that matters. The one that is most interesting is how does Lyles have a Negative Career WAR while Wheeler is 10.2 Career WAR. This isn't comparable. If the Brewers want to be cheap they go Lyles. if they want to get serious they open the pocketbook and spend a little bit..

Wheeler is way better than Lyles in just about every category that matters. The one that is most interesting is how does Lyles have a Negative Career WAR while Wheeler is 10.2 Career WAR. This isn't comparable. If the Brewers want to be cheap they go Lyles. if they want to get serious they open the pocketbook and spend a little bit..

Wheeler's injury history scares the beejesus out of me. I also disagree that a signing of Lyles is any sort of indication that the Brewers aren't being "serious". Wheeler may be one of the more talented pitchers on the market, but that doesn't mean that signing him doesn't carry a lot of risk.

Wheeler's injury history scares the beejesus out of me. I also disagree that a signing of Lyles is any sort of indication that the Brewers aren't being "serious". Wheeler may be one of the more talented pitchers on the market, but that doesn't mean that signing him doesn't carry a lot of risk.

Everyone has their "risks." Brewers havent been real willing to do much and thats why you see them not winning WS.

Everyone has their "risks." Brewers havent been real willing to do much and thats why you see them not winning WS.

Define "much". Because this team has been very active in recent years acquiring players both via trade and through free agency to get better.

Define "much". Because this team has been very active in recent years acquiring players both via trade and through free agency to get better.

When was the last time they invested serious capital whether that be trade or free agency into a starting pitcher? and moreso on that line the last time they invested serious money into a pitcher?

When was the last time they invested serious capital whether that be trade or free agency into a starting pitcher? and moreso on that line the last time they invested serious money into a pitcher?

Probably Garza, Lohse and Suppan via free agency. Track record certainly hasn't been stellar there.

Greinke was hit trade-wise, as was CC obviously.

Probably Garza, Lohse and Suppan via free agency. Track record certainly hasn't been stellar there.

Greinke was hit trade-wise, as was CC obviously.

How does any Brewers fan not remember those guys??? Even signing Jhoulys Chacin wasn't exactly a sure thing when they took a shot on him as a free agent 2 seasons ago, it was modest at around 2 years $15M but still a risk.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived