Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers rotation

adambr2
  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When was the last time the Brewers had back to back starts with a line of:

7 innings, 1 hit, 11/12 strikeouts, zero runs.

Woody and burnes gave us some fun the past two games!

Well they’ve apparently only had 5 of those type of outings in franchise history including the last two games... LINK

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I believe Woodruff has now had 3 games of at least 7 IP and allowing only 1 hit in the last year or so. That is pretty impressive, maybe he is the guy who will get our 2nd franchise no hitter.

Edit: He only pitched 6.1 in his 1 hit performance against Pitt earlier this season

Per Adam McCalvy:
Jon Lester on Brandon Woodruff: "That dude's stuff is incredible. He should be a fixture in baseball as a dominant pitcher for a long time. To match zeros with him, give our team a chance, I mean, that's all you can really do in games like that when a guy's on like that."

David Ross on Brandon Woodruff: "That's a No. 1 starter. That's a real ace."

There’s been too many nice compliments from Cubs recently.

I find most actual Cub players/coaches to be quite classy and humble especially when compared with fixtures of the Cardinals like TDLR and Molina.

It's just their fans that are hopelessly obnoxious.

Yeah, they don't have any players that I can really hate on like the old days, except for Baez, I can't stand that guy and his unwarranted constant praise from the media and announcers.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I find most actual Cub players/coaches to be quite classy and humble especially when compared with fixtures of the Cardinals like TDLR and Molina.

It's just their fans that are hopelessly obnoxious.

Yeah, they don't have any players that I can really hate on like the old days, except for Baez, I can't stand that guy and his unwarranted constant praise from the media and announcers.

His eyebrows really bother me.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This is pitching staff as a whole, not just rotation, but figured it was a good place to post.

Per Fangraphs WAR, Brewers with 8 fWAR are tied for second with the Twins, behind only the Indians. fWAR is mostly FIP-based (Unlike FIP it also treats infield flyballs the same as strikeouts, and also take reliever leverage into account), so Brewers do well largely on account of being 2nd in strikeouts. For the FIP-haters out there, it's worth pointing out that the Brewers pitchers also lead the league in lowest average exit velocity allowed, 3rd lowest hard hit rate, 4th highest soft hit rate, and are 3rd in groundball %. Statcasts xwOBA (Quality of contact + BB + K) rates Brewers tied with the Dodgers for 3rd, behind the two Ohio teams. As far as difference between wOBA and xwOBA goes, Brewers have the 4th largest difference. SIERA also ranks the Brewers 2nd, and while I don't know how to see team-wide DRA for 2020, Brewers do well individually (3 in the top 10, 6 in top 100).

What I'm trying to say is that Brewers pitching is good by almost any metric, and suffering mostly from sequencing, defense and batted ball luck. Better run prevention will follow if they keep this up. And the best part about it is that so much of it is either completely home grown (Burnes, Woodruff, Suter, Williams, Rasmussen, Houser), almost home grown (Peralta) or at least acquired as minor leaguers still (Hader, Knebel). And the majority of them will be here for many years to come.

Woodruff goes today. With normal rest, he'll start on Saturday against the Cards and then be set up to start in game 2 of the WC series on Thursday. With normal rest Burnes would miss the Reds series and pitch game 1 of the 5 game Cardinals series on Thursday. He would then presumably pitch game 1 of the WC series on Wednesday with 5 days rest.

However, whoever pitches on Sunday against the Cards would also be set up to still pitch in game 3 of the WC series on normal 4 days rest.

Burnes threw 100 pitches on Saturday. I say he should start on Wednesday on 3 days rest against he Reds with a 75-80 PC limit, then also go again on Sunday against the Cards on 3 days rest and then be set up to still pitch in the WC series on normal rest. If we've already clinched something by that sunday then perhaps we bump him so he can start game 1 of the WC series on Wednesday.

Any thoughts? Note that there is a doubleheader against the Cards on Friday, so we will either need a bullpen game or a start on short rest at some point during the Cards series.

So

9/21 Woodruff

9/22 Anderson

9/23 Burnes on 3 days rest rather than Houser

9/24 Houser

9/25 game1- Lindblom game2- Suter/Peralta/bullpen

9/26 Woodruff

9/27 Burnes/Anderson

9/28 OFF (playoff game?)

9/29 OFF (playoff game?)

9/30 NLWCS game 1- Johnny Wholestaff depending upon who's hot

10/1 NLWCS game 2- Woodruff

10/2 NLWCS game 3- Burnes

I strongly dislike making him pitch on 3 days rest twice. Just let it play out and have him for WC Game 1. Woodruff lined up for Game 2, and then I say to do a mostly bullpen game in Game 3 if needed. Use all the guys needed in Game 1 to win it with them being off for Game 2. And then in Game 3, all hands on deck.

That is at least my ideal situation. Maybe have someone like Anderson go through the order once in Game 3 and follow that up with your best arms.

3 days rest once is probably a poor idea, but twice...and then not get him till the third game against (likely) the Dodgers? You may be setting us up to never get the opportunity for Burnes to pitch in the postseason. Just can't have that.

Let it play out, this team should be playing for nothing on that last day. I will take whoever the last game and Bunes full force in another one...instead of a tired half-Burnes twice.

4 days rest would be fine if it means skipping Houser and using him in the pen. I would do that with both Burnes and Woody but I highly doubt they would.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would be inclined to keep the rotation as is, but be ready to have Burnes pitches 9/28 if there's a playin game that day. I think the Cardinals would play a doubleheader on 9/28 against Detroit, so a playin game could potentially happen 9/29...in which case you have Burnes ready on regular rest.

I think this is also the type of thing you can play by ear. Let's say we win the first 2 games of this series...then it's a no brainer to keep Burnes on regular rest. If we lose 2, then it might be time to gamble a bit and get your best in there as often as possible.

Has Suter done enough to be considered for the rotation next year?

I don't think that would be a great role for him unless he has a planned piggyback guy every time he takes the mound. 2nd time through the order will not fare well for a guy like Suter in a full season. Can he get away with it occasionally, probably, can he do it for 30 starts? Highly doubtful. I think the more starts he makes, the more likely he will be figured out by major league hitters, especially if they get to see him 2 or 3 times a start.

The role we use him in now is probably perfect, but will it work in a 162 game season? I'm gonna say no.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived