Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers rotation

adambr2
Being the absolutely huge Burnes homer that I am, there is just a smile from ear to year that he is going #2 vs Cubs! His string of CY Young’s restarts now!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Woodruff did well in the minor leagues while Houser has struggled. Time will tell on this. I just see him long term as a reliever unless he’s added something different to the arsenal.

Houser was pretty good in the minors, but dealt with a few years of injuries. Right after we acquired him and Hader, Hader was an absolute K monster...but I read far more positive quotes about Houser than Hader...which is telling. I think the results didn't quite line up with the stuff yet.

All of Burnes/Peralta/Houser are young enough with a small enough sample at the MLB level that you don't really know what you're going to get. They all also could have improved over the offseason and the 4 month furlough. I'm happy to see all 3 getting a shot in the rotation right away. I personally think this works out great. It will be hard to give Anderson a job back if all 3 go out and throw 5-6 innings of 0-1 run ball their first couple starts. But if one guy struggles his first 2 starts...hopefully Anderson or Lauer will be ready, otherwise Suter.

We have Anderson signed for this year.

Houser, Burnes, Woodruff and Lauer are under control through 2024, Peralta through 2026, and Lindblom through 2022.

I have no problem with Anderson, but if all of the guys who we have long-term control over are pitching well, I don't want to see them sent to the bullpen just to give Anderson the spot.

It is great to have some depth in the rotation, and if these guys prove to be decent MLB pitchers, we could have a solid MLB rotation for years to come.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not to beat a dead horse, but what's wrong with Anderson
when he's healthy?
There is a reason a player with his career metrics is pitching on a cheaper one year deal. Given the short season, expanded rosters and DH, I wouldn't expect many starters to go more than 4-5 innings and certainly not more than twice through the order. There'll be enough innings to go around even for the inexperienced starters.

We should never be complaining about having too many competent starting pitchers. Do we not remember the last 30 years? And from a criticizing team building for this year, would it have been smart to bank on Burnes/Peralta after last year's results? then factor in injuries that happen every year. They should be applauded for acquiring good depth of quality guys. We can't afford high end guys but we can do this, it makes perfect sense to me.

Other than Houser, I’m very excited about this staff. Hopefully, if/when Houser tanks, they’ll get him back to the pen quickly in this shortened season.

LOL you are sticking to your guns on the "Houser isn't a starter" idea. I can respect that.

In fairness, Houser would probably pitch better in relief than as a starter. But that can be said about probably at least 95% of starting pitchers.

Since Anderson is due back in relatively short order, I suspect there will be a very very short hook for someone. If any of the 3 young guys has 2 bad starts in a row, that's about all it will take as Anderson or Lauer or both will likely be ready to roll by then. Hopefully, all 3 throw a couple gems in a row and make CC's decision very difficult.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Other than Houser, I’m very excited about this staff. Hopefully, if/when Houser tanks, they’ll get him back to the pen quickly in this shortened season.

LOL you are sticking to your guns on the "Houser isn't a starter" idea. I can respect that.

In fairness, Houser would probably pitch better in relief than as a starter. But that can be said about probably at least 95% of starting pitchers.

Since Anderson is due back in relatively short order, I suspect there will be a very very short hook for someone. If any of the 3 young guys has 2 bad starts in a row, that's about all it will take as Anderson or Lauer or both will likely be ready to roll by then. Hopefully, all 3 throw a couple gems in a row and make CC's decision very difficult.

Yeah, it's been proven that the guy is pretty much a shut-down multi-inning reliever, but if he's also one of the team's five best starters, it makes sense to keep him in a starting role. It's great to have a guy with that sort of flexibility available.

Community Moderator

Two things:

1) I loved Houser in the long relief role, but he has earned the right to be a starter going forward.

He has close enough to a starter’s profile:

50161473067_f8af69810b_c_d.jpg

50161224861_bf751ee9ce_w_d.jpg

2) I know it’s dangerous to make too much over just 2.2 IP, but Eric Lauer looked the part of a solid future starter in his Brewers debut. He had a 21.7% whiff rate, and appeared to be commanding his cutter and 4-seam fastball very well. I look forward to seeing him utilize his curveball a bit more against left handed hitters. He definitely left me excited for his future as a starter. It will be interesting to see if he finds his way in the rotation this season or is utilized out of the bullpen for the foreseeable future.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Woodruff did well in the minor leagues while Houser has struggled. Time will tell on this. I just see him long term as a reliever unless he’s added something different to the arsenal.

It appeared as though Houser was using his breaking pitches a little more than normal last night. When he ran into trouble last year, it was typically when he was relying too much on his fastball, and was having trouble locating it. His location wasn't super last night, either, but his use of the breaking stuff made up for it.

Still, it was a very positive start for the "Houser is a starter" truthers.

It appeared as though Houser was using his breaking pitches a little more than normal last night. When he ran into trouble last year, it was typically when he was relying too much on his fastball, and was having trouble locating it. His location wasn't super last night, either, but his use of the breaking stuff made up for it.

Still, it was a very positive start for the "Houser is a starter" truthers.

He did a great job last night considering the start-stop-start with the rain.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The only way the Brewers will ever be perennial contenders is if they start to develop above average starting pitching from within their organization.

I think its great they have a collection of young arms that can throw in the upper 90s. The only way to find out if they are capable of being MLB starters is trial by fire. What better scenario for on the job learning than a wacky 60 game season with expanded playoffs.

The Brewers set their rotation for Monday through Wednesday versus the White Sox this week.

Monday: Brett Anderson

Tuesday: Brandon Woodruff

Wednesday: Adrian Houser

I thought they might have Anderson throw a bullpen this weekend and then restart the rotation with Woodruff going tomorrow (he last pitched on Wednesday).

Unrelated, the Brewers will face old friend Gio Gonzalez in the series finale on Thursday.

... it’s been two games this year. He’s been great and like I’ve stated before, I’m hoping he’s not going to turn back into a pumpkin but it’s been two games.

It would however be exciting if he is truly this type of pitcher to pair with Woodruff.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

... it’s been two games this year. He’s been great and like I’ve stated before, I’m hoping he’s not going to turn back into a pumpkin but it’s been two games.

It would however be exciting if he is truly this type of pitcher to pair with Woodruff.

He along with Lyles were the team's best two pitchers in August and September last year. This isn't out of nowhere.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited about the short-term and long-term prospects for a Brewer starting rotation.

By 2022, the righties Woody, Houser, Burners, and potentially Peralta could be joined by the lefties Lauer, Small, Ashby, and Kelly.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited about the short-term and long-term prospects for a Brewer starting rotation.

By 2022, the righties Woody, Houser, Burners, and potentially Peralta could be joined by the lefties Lauer, Small, Ashby, and Kelly.

I agree. Obviously things can change with injury (Jimmy Nelson) or a guy regressing or never progressing (too many to list) but right now Woody feels like a perennial all-start and Houser looks like he is now a mainstay. The next group of Burnes and Lauer and Peralta hopefully sees two of three take off. The first two being the most likely in my opinion. That would leave one spot and depth to be filled by the others. Short-term Lindblom could fill a spot for a couple years two.

Add that to a bullpen that will have Hader, Rasmussen, Williams, and Suter to work with and probably Burnes or Peralta.

Guys will get more expensive with arbitration but Woodruff, Lauer, Burnes and Hauser are all under control until 2025 and Peralta is until 2027.

There is still a sentiment (assumption) nationally that the Brewers have below average starting pitching. I look forward to this group continuing to develop and prove people wrong in the coming years.

Living in Chicago and watching the White Sox broadcast last night, Steve Stone actually mentioned, that the Brewers starting pitchers are all relatively unknown but the trifecta of Burnes, Woodruff and Houser were all impressive with extraordinary stuff. Pretty high praise from a broadcast crew that practices extreme homerism.

We really need to build our rotation around Woody, Houser and Burnes.... Damn, I love that top 3!

Finish the year with Woody, Houser, Burnes, Lindblom, Lauer in the rotation and see what happens.

think Lauer is going to be a fine 4th starter.

Agreed! Eric is getting the start against Cincy tomorrow.

Woody

Houser

Burnes

Lauer

Lindblom (For at least next 2 seasons)

This is a very underrated rotation, can't wait to watch these 5 prove the media wrong.

What is everyone's impression of Lauer?

I missed his first start, and only caught the 2nd inning of yesterday's start, when it looked like he was getting insanely unlucky with bloop singles and incredibly squeezed by the ump. It seemed like he just hit the corner on 6 straight pitches that were all called balls before the barrage of hits and runs began.

I'd be a little bummed if they pulled him from the rotation so soon, but at the same time I feel like Burnes has earned a shot to stick in the rotation so who knows. Good to have this many good options I guess (although I'm not wild about Anderson at all, Lindblom looks ok but nothing that special so far).

Archived