Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers rotation

adambr2
Why not BOTH?

Burnes is a starter. No reason to have him in the pen. Start him or put him in AAA.

Peralta is looking like a starter or a fireman. I can see the case for each.

But there's still zero reason you have to START HOUSER who is worse than BOTH of these options. Lauer hurt. Ok you are in AAA. Woodruff Anderson Burnes Lindblom Peralta works just fine and is the PATH WE WANT TO BE ON LONG TERM! In 2020-2021 there is zero case you can make to say Houser is better than Lauer. Anderson goes FA, Lauer steps in. Lindblom will be looking to hold off the entire farm and 1 small year later there could be 2-3 guys knocking on that door.

You keep preaching this, and I keep responding by saying that there is absolutely no indication that Houser's spot in the rotation is anywhere close to being in jeopardy. No matter how much you want it, you simply cannot wish it true. Every time Counsell has been asked about his rotation this spring, Houser has been a part of it.

It'll come true. The question is how soon.

Woodruff Burnes Peralta are all better.

Small and Ashby are more talented.

Lindblom Lauer Supak and File fit better in the rotation than in the pen.

He will not be in the rotation in MKE's long term (beyond mid season in 2021) plans. Why they feel determined to put him into the rotation, I simply don't know. If they are that determined to increase his sale price, I hope it works and that it doesn't backfire and hurt the team's results and delay better options.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why they feel determined to put him into the rotation, I simply don't know.

I know the answer to this. It's because they are much, much smarter baseball decision makers than we are. Which, you know, they have proven. Counsell has had him in the rotation all along this spring, which tells me that they see him as a fixture there, despite what us know-nothings say otherwise.

So does a shortened season help or hurt Brewers pitching? I didn't think Woodruff was going to top 180 IP but now looks like that won't matter.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 months later...
Verified Member
Was there any mention that Freddy was pitching from the stretch this year? I noticed in that ST night game against the Dodgers, he pitched exclusively from the stretch.

• 1 month later...

Gio Gonzalez is no longer here, but I thought this FG article was pretty interesting & is another possible data point to help explain why the whole of our pitching staff has typically ended up better than the perceived value of the individual names during Stearns & company's tenure...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/was-gio-gonzalez-falling-behind-on-purpose/

I'm really pulling for Burnes to become a mainstay in this rotation.

Corbin Burnes struck out seven hitters over four scoreless innings on Wednesday in an intersquad contest.

Burnes was dominant in the intersquad bout, and his fastball was up to 98 mph against the "other" Brewers lineup. Keep in mind that Burnes was once a consensus Top 50 prospect, and that he doesn't turn 26 until near the end of October. There's obvious risk because of how much he struggled to keep the ball in the park in 2019, but if Burnes is one of the starters for Milwaukee to open the truncated year, he's a name that you have to keep an eye on at the very least.

Jul 16, 2020, 9:07 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Corbin Burnes struck out seven hitters over four scoreless innings on Wednesday in an intersquad contest.

Burnes was dominant in the intersquad bout, and his fastball was up to 98 mph against the "other" Brewers lineup. Keep in mind that Burnes was once a consensus Top 50 prospect, and that he doesn't turn 26 until near the end of October. There's obvious risk because of how much he struggled to keep the ball in the park in 2019, but if Burnes is one of the starters for Milwaukee to open the truncated year, he's a name that you have to keep an eye on at the very least.

Yes, absolutely! I would love for Corbin to become our #2!

I would love to see this rotation to start the year... Woody, Burnes, Peralta, Lindbolm, Lauer but I know Anderson will be in there somewhere so Freddy moves to set up role with Knebel... Which leads to Peralta, Knebel, Hader at the end of games, wow!

It will be interesting to see how Burnes does. It's probably easier to maintain your composure when you make a mistake in front of a couple dozen ground crew members than it is in front of 40,000 fans. This season will be unlike anything we've ever experienced. I think pitchers will benefit the most in general, though hitters get affected by crowds too and shouldn't get as overanxious in big situations.

Anderson will be on the DL/IL anyway, it's pretty much an automatic...

I don't think there will be room for both Burnes and Peralta in the rotation to start.

It's a shame that either Burnes or Peralta (or possibly both) might not start the season in the rotation so we can give Anderson a spot.

I'm guessing Burnes' 10+ ERA and Peralta's 7+ ERA as starters last year didn't instill a ton of confidence in penciling them into the rotation going into the offseason. That said, I would love for them both to click this year and make Anderson unnecessary!

I don't get the hate on Brett Anderson. Sure, he's hurt all the time, but as the above posts point out the Brewers have actual depth for their starting rotation so even if he is hurt its not fatal, and he's signed to a one year contract with no obligation beyond 2020.

When he is able to pitch, the analytics like him with a 3.91 FIP in 997 career innings (Chase Anderson 4.54 FIP in 857 innings, Zach Davies 4.22 FIP in 614 innings) and the Brewers are securing his services for a bargain price of a prorated salary from $5 million dollars. (By comparison, Cole Hamels with a 3.69 career FIP is making a prorated salary from 18 million dollars for the Braves). Also Rich Hill has a 3.93 FIP across 937 career innings and was scheduled to make 3 million dollars in 2020. Anderson is 7 years younger than Hill and is coming of a season where he pitched 176 innings to Hill's 58, so the Brewers contract with Anderson is in-line with other similarly situated pitchers. What's not to like, especially in a 60 game season where he's not going to be holding back other pitchers' development.

So many Brewers seasons where lack of pitching depth was simply a running joke. We have a GM now that builds depth at just about every position, including our starting rotation, and we get complaints on it. Mind boggling sometimes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Who's complaining about pitching depth?

Seriously, who is upset that we have depth at a position that we normally do not?

Last night, Pina was asked about who has stood out in camp so far and Burnes was his pick.

Woody gets the opening day nod... Anderson will pitch game 2 if he's healthy.

I'm guessing, we'll go with Woody, Anderson, Houser, Lindbolm, Lauer... Really want Corbin in there but I dont think its gonna happen.

I'm thinking Burnes is in. Granted, I've predicted a big bounce-back year for him too. But there is a lot of talk about him from the announcers, Pina, etc.. about how much has changed this year. If Lauer isn't stretched out or Anderson still out (though that might not align with Burnes' rotation), might as well stick him in there and see how he does. He is pitching lights-out better than everyone not named Woodruff.

FanGraphs has been doing their positional rankings heading into the season, so, curious to see what they had to say about our starting rotation I clicked the link for teams 16-30, but couldn't find the Brewers listed.

Turns out they snuck in at number 15...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-positional-power-rankings-starting-rotation-no-1-15/

Also, if you click on the Brewers tab you can see each of their positional previews/write ups with the exception of relief pitchers which hasn't been released yet.

FanGraphs has been doing their positional rankings heading into the season, so, curious to see what they had to say about our starting rotation I clicked the link for teams 16-30, but couldn't find the Brewers listed.

Turns out they snuck in at number 15...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-positional-power-rankings-starting-rotation-no-1-15/

Also, if you click on the Brewers tab you can see each of their positional previews/write ups with the exception of relief pitchers which hasn't been released yet.

I personally think the Brewers rotation is top half of the league depending on the starters chosen, but I'm also probably more familiar with our players than your average FG writer and am probably a bit biased. I'm very surprised an FG writer would rank Brewers there, you look at Brett Anderson and Josh Lindblom in 2 spots...how can you see this rotation on paper and be like "yup, they are top half".

Edit - oh that's right, in projection world 90% of pitchers pitch to between a 3.75 and 4.75 ERA.

Archived