Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers rotation

adambr2
As much as people are complaining about Lindblom, he has a 1.1 whip and .231 BA allowed. ERA and GO/AO are the 2 things that are the least bit concerning. Anderson should start the year regardless. When healthy he starts, that was the point of adding him and unless he fully flops that doesn't change. Lauer looks the part. The question should be Houser or Peralta.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes things interesting is if you go on each of their last starts this is how our current starters lineup for their first game in the rotation

26th: Lindblom & Lauer

27th(off day): Anderson

28th: Houser

29th: Woodruff

So it seems like we still have some shuffling around to do. I have heard the rumor that they might use opening day as a bullpen day since they have the following day off

IMO Woodruff will be the opening day starter. CC will adjust accordingly unless Woody is working on something that precludes him from throwing on the 26th.

What makes things interesting is if you go on each of their last starts this is how our current starters lineup for their first game in the rotation

26th: Lindblom & Lauer

27th(off day): Anderson

28th: Houser

29th: Woodruff

So it seems like we still have some shuffling around to do. I have heard the rumor that they might use opening day as a bullpen day since they have the following day off

CounselL has never lined up his starters early in camp. They throw them regularly on 2-3 days rest to build strength, then about 10-12 days ot they start slotting them in order. I could see us being pretty creative with Peralta and Burnes opening the year taking over in the 6th regularly for whomever has high pitch counts, possibly netting multiple 3-4 inning saves.

I personally don't bring ST results into the equation at all unless it's used as a tie breaker of sorts. On one hand we can't look at guys like Burnes and use ST stats as a reason to give him the job while also disregarding guys like Hader, Garcia, etc and their poor results so far. I think Burnes should go to AAA and if he can keep pitching well he will definitely get a shot this season to pitch in our rotation

Burnes is pitching right now the way I thought he would going into last season. Please don't be a dud this year. Please pitch to your potential. Couple that with Peralta and we got something real special about to happen around here.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I personally don't bring ST results into the equation at all unless it's used as a tie breaker of sorts. On one hand we can't look at guys like Burnes and use ST stats as a reason to give him the job while also disregarding guys like Hader, Garcia, etc and their poor results so far. I think Burnes should go to AAA and if he can keep pitching well he will definitely get a shot this season to pitch in our rotation

I doubt he's solely talking about his ST stats. Especially with pitching, you need to look past the stats to his stuff...and how hitters are reacting to his stuff. Burnes is downright filthy and it shows when you watch him pitch. If you want the best 5 arms to open in the rotation, you'd have to pick Burnes. I would be slightly less annoyed by Burnes opening in AAA than Peralta, only because he was so incredibly lost in 2019. I could get behind him starting in AAA for a few weeks to make sure his stuff plays well against AAA hitters on a regular basis.

One of Lindblom/Anderson should open in the pen. Woodruff, Houser, Lauer, Peralta, and one of Lindblom/Anderson in the rotation please.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I feel the opposite way. I don't want to see Peralta and Burnes anywhere close to the rotation until they can prove that they can get outs consistently as starters. Both of them were terrible last year, and were a big reason why this team had to go on a historic run in September to sneak into the playoffs.

A few solid Spring Training starts doesn't prove that they will be effective. If it were up to me, I'd send them both to San Antonio to start the year, but that doesn't sound like it's going to happen, at least with Peralta. The team signed Lindblom and Anderson to be in the rotation, and that's where they should stay, until they prove they don't belong.

Woodruff

Houser

Anderson

Lindblom

Lauer

That would be my 5 to begin the year.

I doubt he's solely talking about his ST stats. Especially with pitching, you need to look past the stats to his stuff...and how hitters are reacting to his stuff. Burnes is downright filthy and it shows when you watch him pitch. If you want the best 5 arms to open in the rotation, you'd have to pick Burnes. I would be slightly less annoyed by Burnes opening in AAA than Peralta, only because he was so incredibly lost in 2019. I could get behind him starting in AAA for a few weeks to make sure his stuff plays well against AAA hitters on a regular basis.

One of Lindblom/Anderson should open in the pen. Woodruff, Houser, Lauer, Peralta, and one of Lindblom/Anderson in the rotation please.

So I'm confused? You don't consider Burnes one of the 5 best arms then? Or do?

For me, I need to see Burnes be good for an extended stretch in the minors before I trust him to pitch in the major league rotation. I'd go Woodruff, Houser, Anderson, Lindblom, Lauer, with Peralta getting the first shot after an injury and then if Burnes keeps this up he can have the second shot either due to injury or poor play by another SP

So I'm confused? You don't consider Burnes one of the 5 best arms then? Or do?

For me, I need to see Burnes be good for an extended stretch in the minors before I trust him to pitch in the major league rotation. I'd go Woodruff, Houser, Anderson, Lindblom, Lauer, with Peralta getting the first shot after an injury and then if Burnes keeps this up he can have the second shot either due to injury or poor play by another SP

Burnes is one of the best 5, but I can understand holding him back for a bit just to see how his stuff plays in AAA for 4-6 full starts. Burnes had the best stuff last year too, but it wasn't used effectively and didn't get results. It makes sense to me to have him work his way up instead of just giving him the spot.

I tend to form my opinions in spring training on pitchers based on their stuff, their command, and how hitters are reacting to their stuff. That's why I'm so meh on Lindblom, I don't think he's going to be effective in a starting role. I think Anderson is more likely to be mediocre based on his track record, but I'm not really impressed by him either. I'll generally find it annoying if we open with Peralta in the pen to give these 2 guys a shot, and when one fails and 4-5 weeks into the season we bump one to the pen and let Peralta start...we have to go through a transition of stretching him back out and straining the bullpen with short starts for a few weeks. Not to mention it's tough to make that transition, especially for a younger pitcher. Better to make the right decision now.

So is last season better when we started with the young guys in the rotation and they all bombed immediately? I'd personally rather the vets hold down to start and as more starters are needed we fill them with young guys who have earned a shot. Unless Peralta or Burnes dominant for an extended stretch and force their way into the rotation.

I feel the opposite way. I don't want to see Peralta and Burnes anywhere close to the rotation until they can prove that they can get outs consistently as starters. Both of them were terrible last year, and were a big reason why this team had to go on a historic run in September to sneak into the playoffs.

How do you get outs consistently as starters if not given the chance to start? Based on that argument, why are you so accepting of Lindblom in the rotation? Sure he carved up AA caliber hitters in a starting role in Korea. Maybe his stuff plays here, maybe not. I've made clear I don't think it will, but that's just my opinion. Despite what went wrong with those 2 guys last year, they are the future and I'm sure they took quite a bit from their lumps last year...and are better for it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How do you get outs consistently as starters if not given the chance to start? Based on that argument, why are you so accepting of Lindblom in the rotation? Sure he carved up AA caliber hitters in a starting role in Korea. Maybe his stuff plays here, maybe not. I've made clear I don't think it will, but that's just my opinion. Despite what went wrong with those 2 guys last year, they are the future and I'm sure they took quite a bit from their lumps last year...and are better for it.

They'll have plenty of opportunities to start in San Antonio. Prove yourself there, then we can talk. Lindblom is older, and has 150 innings of major league experience to draw from, on top of 825 innings of very good foreign experience. He isn't getting paid enough where his spot is necessarily secure, either, though.

Yeah, Burnes and Peralta are the future. But having them prove themselves in AAA doesn't change that.

Hopefully, if Lindblom doesn't pan out, CC has a quick hook. If he is still starting after 5 starts and getting bombed, and Burnes and Peralta are killing it in AAA, they need to make the change, and not wait.

As we have discovered the past couple of years, every, EVERY win can and will matter down the stretch. I hate giving them away when they are so valuable, so making changes when needed is a must.................imo

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Just a reminder that CC has said Peralta won't open in AAA. He'll be at the MLB level whether in the bullpen or rotation.

That could pose a problem then...The later we go without him in the rotation, the more he would have to be stretched out...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Will Sammon

@WillSammon

·

1m

Eric Lauer, competing for fifth starter job for Brewers, dealing with left shoulder impingement, relatively minor but issue does rule out start of the season, Counsell said.

This more or less solves the rotation "problem". Peralta likely takes 5th spot. When Lauer is ready, he probably gets sent on a rehab assignment unless there's an immediate need...and bides time to see how things shake out.

Will Sammon

@WillSammon

·

1m

Eric Lauer, competing for fifth starter job for Brewers, dealing with left shoulder impingement, relatively minor but issue does rule out start of the season, Counsell said.

Can't rewind his clock if he's on the DL. No Bueno.

Will Sammon

@WillSammon

·

1m

...and this is why it's important to have good options in AAA who are already stretched out. There will be injuries over the course of the season, so I'm glad we have depth.

Before this occurred, I hoped we'd go with Woodruff, Anderson, Lindblom, Houser, and Peralta in the MLB rotation, with Lauer and Burnes starting in AAA. I'd rather not have an injured pitcher, but barring other injuries, I think this solidifies the rotation.

Lauer will rehab in AAA, and if someone is pitching poorly and he's pitching well in AAA, then he can replace the under-performer when he's healthy and ready. If everyone in the rotation is pitching well, then we can keep Lauer and Burnes in AAA until they're needed. It's not always about "best arm," things like contracts, service time, and maintaining depth also come into play when constructing the MLB roster.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Freddy Peralta and Corbin Burnes will continue to battle for No. 5 spot in #Brewers rotation

Wait, I don't understand. Didn't Counsel say the 5th spot would be either Peralta or Lauer? But now all of a sudden Burnes is in the running? Weird...

Maybe CC shouldn't be so dismissive of other options so early in spring training.....

Archived