Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers rotation

adambr2
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Woodruff, Houser, Lindblom, Anderson, and Lauer

That's what I think it's going to end up being as well, and I'm good with it. It is good to see that Peralta is making noise, but I think he'll stick in the pen as a high-leverage set-up guy until Knebel is ready to come back. I think Burnes is in the AAA rotation to start, and is the first guy up when one of the first 5 need a replacement.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree there's a strong chance this is what it is...and I find it gross. I've found lindbloms stuff to be very underwhelming, and hitters seem to find it very hittable. And I've made my stance on Anderson extremely known. I hope those 2 find their way to the bullpen by mid may

I agree there's a strong chance this is what it is...and I find it gross. I've found lindbloms stuff to be very underwhelming, and hitters seem to find it very hittable. And I've made my stance on Anderson extremely known. I hope those 2 find their way to the bullpen by mid may

I think hoping that the couple starters pitch poorly is an odd stance to take if you're hoping for the team to have success this season. I somewhat understand it more if you say you don't have faith or you think it might happen, but hoping?

Are you basing the Lindblom take on the 10 innings he's thrown this spring?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rotation that I want to see as a fan due to my homegrown bias is Woodruff Houser Lauer Burnes Peralta. All controllable arms. Believe Burnes, Peralta, Houser offer the higher ceilings over Lindblom Anderson and Lauer. Since we spent money on Anderson & Lindblom I’m sure they get the nod.

As a fan I’m excited when Woody, Burnes, Peralta, and Houser on mound. I enjoy watching them. The other three will do and probably be fine but still are just guys to me. You want to develop your own arms, you have to deal with some ups and downs. Give them the opportunity to truly develop. Not all arms hit ground running.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Rotation that I want to see as a fan due to my homegrown bias is Woodruff Houser Lauer Burnes Peralta. All controllable arms. Believe Burnes, Peralta, Houser offer the higher ceilings over Lindblom Anderson and Lauer. Since we spent money on Anderson & Lindblom I’m sure they get the nod.

As a fan I’m excited when Woody, Burnes, Peralta, and Houser on mound. I enjoy watching them. The other three will do and probably be fine but still are just guys to me. You want to develop your own arms, you have to deal with some ups and downs. Give them the opportunity to truly develop. Not all arms hit ground running.

I couldn’t have said it better. This. This. this.

Lindblom tough needs a spot.

10 innings that if you take away some bad defense have been really high quality. I have been very impressed with Lindblom so far, his control seems great, his stuff looks like it plays. He's had some really rotten defense in his few innings of work.

Can the Brewers just waive Anderson? After today, he has the wprst ERA out of the ST Rotation battle. 4mil isnt large enough for me to keep around blocking the more deserved winners in camp, being Lauer and Peralta. I hope CC and Stearns recognizes putting the best staff out there. Anderson a complete vet has nothing he's working on to blame. Peralta and Lauer did&do and have seen outstanding results to not be awarded a Rotation spot.

Can the Brewers just waive Anderson? After today, he has the wprst ERA out of the ST Rotation battle. 4mil isnt large enough for me to keep around blocking the more deserved winners in camp, being Lauer and Peralta. I hope CC and Stearns recognizes putting the best staff out there. Anderson a complete vet has nothing he's working on to blame. Peralta and Lauer did&do and have seen outstanding results to not be awarded a Rotation spot.

I personally am glad that we have a front office that wouldn't dream of cutting a moderately priced free agent starter after a couple shaky Spring Training outings.

Anderson might stink but it won’t be because of how his ST stats look.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Your using early spring training ERA as a reason to eat 4 million in salary and lessen our SP depth?

Also assuming that veteran pitchers don’t work on things early in spring seems like a stretch. Guys don’t develop their stuff the first couple years and then just ride it out the rest of their career.

I love Peralta but he was far from outstanding last time out.

Ok, but with Peralta, he is still an unknown. You have to give this guy a shot...

We know exactly what Anderson is already, and that ain't much... I think it would be stupid to waive him, but then again, I think it was stupid to sign him to begin with.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Ok, but with Peralta, he is still an unknown. You have to give this guy a shot...

We know exactly what Anderson is already, and that ain't much... I think it would be stupid to waive him, but then again, I think it was stupid to sign him to begin with.

So we all know that realistically you need 8ish pitchers for a full season. I'm sure Peralta will get plenty of starts this season.

There have been many, MANY stories over the years of guys working on specific pitches through spring training and not caring about results one bit. I can't remember if it was Ben Sheets or not .. but I distinctly remember one of our pitchers years and years ago getting shelled for 2 innings and they asked him after the game how he felt and his response was something like "really, really good. very happy with where I'm at" and the reporter basically said "umm, you got blasted today" .. and his response was "right, but I only threw fastballs on the inside edge today. Was working the black and inside of it." The guy just worked his command on one specific pitch and one specific location for the entire 30 or 35 pitches he threw that day.

Basically, spring training often means very little results wise for guys who have roster spots secured. They are just getting into game shape and want to be ready when it matters. Anderson's stats don't mean anything until they do.

There have been many, MANY stories over the years of guys working on specific pitches through spring training and not caring about results one bit. I can't remember if it was Ben Sheets or not .. but I distinctly remember one of our pitchers years and years ago getting shelled for 2 innings and they asked him after the game how he felt and his response was something like "really, really good. very happy with where I'm at" and the reporter basically said "umm, you got blasted today" .. and his response was "right, but I only threw fastballs on the inside edge today. Was working the black and inside of it." The guy just worked his command on one specific pitch and one specific location for the entire 30 or 35 pitches he threw that day.

Basically, spring training often means very little results wise for guys who have roster spots secured. They are just getting into game shape and want to be ready when it matters. Anderson's stats don't mean anything until they do.

I remember what you're talking about, which is the entire reason I mentioned what is Anderson working on this spring as his excuse? We've already been given stories on Lauer and Burnes learning from the Brewers "Lab" and the story on Peralta learning a new pitch in Fall. But alas, after searching him on google, it appears the excuse he could use is that he was recovering from the flu and wasn't 100%? My pick to have Lauer and Peralta make the rotation isn't just Anderson results, but due to their results. Lauer sits at 1BB:9K in 5.1IP Peralta has only given up 3 hits in 7.2IP with 4bb:7K. Burnes hasn't allowed a run in 6IP with 3hits 2BB:7K Those 3 would have under 1Whip, while Anderson at 5.2IP 7h 2BB:4K stands closer to 2 than 1.

Still some time to go, just hate to see the younger guys who have been Starters for Milw or last 2 season for SD in Lauer, have camp winning statistics and see an old vet get 1 of their rotation spots just because he's a vet, albeit one with a 4.05 career ERA and 3.91Fip.

I dunno, start Anderson in the BP and Lauer in the rotation. Take upside or ceiling over floor is all I'm getting at. If Lauer improved due to the Brewers Lab, just imagine what he might pitch to, with him being a 3.77 career ERA away from Coors. 1bb:9ks, is a great start when learning something new.

10 innings that if you take away some bad defense have been really high quality. I have been very impressed with Lindblom so far, his control seems great, his stuff looks like it plays. He's had some really rotten defense in his few innings of work.

I don't see what about his outings was high quality. He doesn't throw hard, he didn't get a lot of swings and misses. Him and Anderson rely heavily on weak contact and good defense with their mediocre at best stuff to get outs. Now both guys will be pitching in a very hitter friendly park with a few very questionable defenders behind them.

Its hard to imagine lindbloms stuff significant improving from what I've seen. You have woodruff, Burnes, Peralta all already in the mid-upper 90s ripping off good breaking pitches already. Even if lindblom shows something like 60-70 grade control, i don't have a ton of faith in his stuff playing well against mlb hitters. I think he's better off as a multi inning guy in the pen. Let's see the best 5 in the rotation.

Your Best 5 after the spring should start the season.

If you are saying the "best 5" IN spring training games should start, that will never happen. Many pitchers use S.T. to work on a certain pitch, a certain location, etc.... Also the quality of hitter varies greatly in spring training games. A split-squad game may see a pitcher facing AA or AAA guys almost exclusively. Just like hitters, numbers for pitchers are almost meaningless until the regular season starts.

Provisional Member

1. Some of the young pitchers can't pitch the whole season in the rotation due to innings restrictions.

2. Doesn't it make sense to keep borderline options with options in the minors and bring them up after injuries occur?

1. Some of the young pitchers can't pitch the whole season in the rotation due to innings restrictions.

2. Doesn't it make sense to keep borderline options with options in the minors and bring them up after injuries occur?

1. That's right, but so many don't make a full season healthy. I think the team will know how to manage as July trade deadline passes.

2. Borderline would be Miller this season. Burnes as well. Peralta and Lauer. Now have 2 seasons with Games started experience. Atm, Peralta could fit your Option borderline with Lauer beating him currently for #5. Vice versa if you went the other way. I think I mentioned Lauer is on pace to be a Super 2. Rewind that clock about 50days should remove that classification. It truly is likely what is about happen after Peralta's contract. Service time doesnt matter anymore with him. And you can site his SP history to why you sent him to AAA to stay stretched out over a move to Bullpen role.

What makes things interesting is if you go on each of their last starts this is how our current starters lineup for their first game in the rotation

26th: Lindblom & Lauer

27th(off day): Anderson

28th: Houser

29th: Woodruff

So it seems like we still have some shuffling around to do. I have heard the rumor that they might use opening day as a bullpen day since they have the following day off

There are 2 off days still, plenty of time to set up their pitching whichever way they want it. Considering most of the rotation is going to have some sort of minor innings limit, starting with a bullpen day might not be a bad idea. Not sure how the fans react though, especially if they lose.

Archived