Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers rotation

adambr2
  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to be interesting to see how Counsell handles things if Lauer/Peralta/Burnes continue pitching well this Spring:

Small sample starts to the Spring:

Lauer - 5.1 IP, 1.69 ERA, 9 Ks

Peralta - 5.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 5 Ks

Burnes - 3.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 3 Ks

Houser - 3.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 4 Ks

Lindblom - 3.0 IP, 6.00 ERA, 4 Ks

Anderson - 3.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 2 Ks

Woodruff - 3.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 2 Ks

Hopefully they all look rotation worthy and it's just a matter of rotation/pen/AAA-to-stay-stretched-out for each, but kind of wish CC hadn't put out those insinuated "locks." Especially since all things equal I would probably lean towards grooming Peralta/Burnes/Lauer all as starters over Lindblom/Houser.

Going to be interesting to see how Counsell handles things if Lauer/Peralta/Burnes continue pitching well this Spring:

Small sample starts to the Spring:

Lauer - 5.1 IP, 1.69 ERA, 9 Ks

Peralta - 5.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 5 Ks

Burnes - 3.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 3 Ks

Houser - 3.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 4 Ks

Lindblom - 3.0 IP, 6.00 ERA, 4 Ks

Anderson - 3.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 2 Ks

Woodruff - 3.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 2 Ks

Hopefully they all look rotation worthy and it's just a matter of rotation/pen/AAA-to-stay-stretched-out for each, but kind of wish CC hadn't put out those insinuated "locks." Especially since all things equal I would probably lean towards grooming Peralta/Burnes/Lauer all as starters over Lindblom/Houser.

I'm holding out hope for

Woodruff Anderson Peralta Lindblom

Lauer AAA waiting turn 5

Burnes in AAA waiting for someone to drop. I think starting the year as a starter in MLB is just too soon.

Houser in the pen, with a few surprising names in the place of guys who also have options.

There's also the split contract type deal Lindblom got and the small sample size early look puts him towards the rear. I'm not certain they'd do it, but he could get a Chase Anderson start to the season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is there ANY chance Peralta and Burnes both make the starting rotation? Assuming they both continue to have a strong spring training.

Honestly, I really hope not. I don't like Lauer out of the pen as much as I like him in the rotation. Pushing him out for Peralta to me says Lauer is in AAA to start the year. Also taking Peralta out of the pen makes it considerably weaker. I expected him to step up in the pen this year and be a 2 IP 3.5 ERA type guy. I'm not sure I feel the same about Lauer in the pen despite the look of his FB (playing up), cutter, curve trio of pitches.

Hader Suter is great. Phelps Claudio Black looks like a bunch of barely getting by. Knebel isn't ready and they still need 3 more arms to fill the pen.

I still want either Peralta or Houser in the pen. If they aren't in the pen. What are we doing? You put Burnes in as a starter and Lindblom and Lauer go to the pen cuz Anderson isn't headed to the pen, right? What makes that pen make any sesne? Rasmussen immediately? You might go Burnes in the pen is great. BURNES is a starter who has succeeded out of the pen. He needs to pitch as a starter but it's really hard to trust him day 1 at the MLB and at the expense of what guy being bumped?

Peralta pushing towards a rotation spot and LAUER being looked at as the outsider makes this really puzzling. People will say it doesn't but they need to look at the pen. That's a strange pen and to make that even more uneasy, the expected leaders in the clubhouse for those spots started bad.

Too many solid potential starters and not enough spots is definitely a good spot to be in, and a rare one for the Brewers. I think you are getting a little bit too upset about the potential of Lauer not taking a rotation spot right off the bat. He's pitched great, but he's just one of a handful of guys that are pitching well right now. The team has said on multiple occasions that Houser is a starter, they view him as a starter both presently and in the future, and they've basically handed him a rotation spot. He hasn't thrown much yet, but he certainly hasn't done anything to give that spot up yet, either.

Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Anderson, Lauer performing well enough to be the starters would be my ideal rotation by the end of the year. I guess Hauser could replace Anderson but I like Hauser as a multi-inning reliever with Suter, Knebel and Hader.

Too many solid potential starters and not enough spots is definitely a good spot to be in, and a rare one for the Brewers. I think you are getting a little bit too upset about the potential of Lauer not taking a rotation spot right off the bat. He's pitched great, but he's just one of a handful of guys that are pitching well right now. The team has said on multiple occasions that Houser is a starter, they view him as a starter both presently and in the future, and they've basically handed him a rotation spot. He hasn't thrown much yet, but he certainly hasn't done anything to give that spot up yet, either.

It's great to have a number of guys who look starter capable. Yes, that's worth more, that's great for a team blah blah blah. However, what is BEST for this team? What has this team hung their hat on? The pen. Woodruff Anderson Peralta Lindblom Houser. Burnes and Lauer in AAA. Supak File Small (expect him to move fast this year) seem like the next 3 we can expect to graduate into the rotation.

So Anderson ticks off next year and you got possibly 4-5 guys for that spot. GREAT! Who has the most potential, and who the heck is in the pen.

It's like an NFL team going... well when it comes to OL tackles are the most valuable spot. Lets get 9 of them. Who plays G and C? Oh.... good question.

Lindblom doesn't look like a pen plus guy. Lauer doesn't look like a pen plus guy. Burnes might have the most potential after Woodruff and Peralta. Maybe more than Peralta. So why the heck does Houser fit in the rotation? He looks like a pen plus guy. His upside isn't on the same level as Burnes Peralta Small. We need a bullpen.

MKE has never been about the starting rotation. They've had a good group of inning eaters 1-5 and then they end the game. MKE has a ton of options, yet the guy who makes the most sense to bump into the pen is clearly in the starting mix? Burnes in AAA makes sense to me. Lauer out of the rotation seems moronic. Especially since he's displaced by a guy who is his equal at starter, who could be a big boost to the pen.

Hader and nope (hope for Knebel)

Suter Phelps and no 3rd piece

Claudio Black(?) and what?

Teams 1 short at every level until Knebel is back and Rasmussen and Small are in the pen down the stretch. All to push Lauer into the minors so we can give Houser a shot at being redundant?

Just seems like a lot of developmental value chasing for a team who is trying to win.

I hope we don't get this thread overly off track, but bullpen locks include Hader, Claudio, Suter, Phelps, and Knebel when healthy. Likely arms include Black. From there we have a pile of options including Peralta(a lock if not in the rotation), Burnes, Wahl, D Williams, Faria, and a pile of arms I'm much less familiar with. The last couple spots are generally best rotated out for fresh arms. Also you'd think Drew Rasmussen has a strong chance of forcing his way up very quickly in late April or early May. We should be fine in the bullpen, especially when Knebel comes back and Rasmussen forces his way up.

I really hope that Claudio is used properly. That guy shouldn't be facing righties, the new rule scares me when trying to incorporate him into our plans.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I guess these are good problems to have as there are more worthy candidates for the rotation than there are spots. Lauer has never really come out of the pen at any point (college, minors, mlb). Therefore, if he doesn't make the rotation I'd assume he'd be ticketed for AAA. I think Milwaukee still has hopes for Burnes to be a starter as well, and I imagine they're not going to use up service time with him being a long-man out of the pen. Rather he will also be in the rotation at AAA.

I think most likely we will see a rotation of: Woodruff, Houser, Lindblom, Anderson, Peralta. The next man up being Lauer, followed by Burnes, Shelby Miller with Suter a possibility thereafter

I really hope that Claudio is used properly. That guy shouldn't be facing righties, the new rule scares me when trying to incorporate him into our plans.

I don't honestly think this will be a big deal in the regular season. He will come in to face a lefty or two where he can get to the end of an inning.

To me it will become a bigger deal in September and especially in the playoffs where managers seem to try to work match ups a lot more than they do in the regular season.

I don't honestly think this will be a big deal in the regular season. He will come in to face a lefty or two where he can get to the end of an inning.

To me it will become a bigger deal in September and especially in the playoffs where managers seem to try to work match ups a lot more than they do in the regular season.

Claudio if youre worried about him for the playoffs, can just be left off the playoff roster if they are worried about him. I think the bullpen will be stronger and guys like Burnes/Lauer if not in the rotation then would be used in the bullpen instead.

When it comes to Shelby Miller, I'd imagine he has an opt out date not long after the season began. If not by the time the season began. I wouldnt count him as a rotation depth unless he somehow made the OD as starter.

I think Lauer wins the #5 job and they unfortunately put Peralta in the bullpen even though he should be in the minors as a starter. My big question is what they do with Burnes. I don't see any way Houser isn't a starter unless he fails in season and I don't think he will fail in season.

I think Lauer wins the #5 job and they unfortunately put Peralta in the bullpen even though he should be in the minors as a starter. My big question is what they do with Burnes. I don't see any way Houser isn't a starter unless he fails in season and I don't think he will fail in season.

I don't know that I agree on Lauer, that might be a tossup at this point. Burnes I think starts in the minors and is first up with a major injury, or after he absolutely obliterates hitters in AAA for a month.

I just think the fact that Lauer is stretched out to the point he can start a full season is going to come into play. Woodruff, Peralta, Burnes and even Houser probably all have some sort of innings limit on them. The limits are decently high but they are still there, especially if things are going well and you have to consider the playoff usage.

The Peralta extension makes things interesting. As much as I wanted him as a starter, I thought he was destined for the pen until they extended him. Now I think there's a good chance that he starts the year in the rotation, which means that Lauer could be the odd man out. In the long-term, things look fairly bright with Woodruff (5 years of control), Peralta (recent extension), Lindblom (3 year deal), and Houser (5 years of control) in the MLB rotation for the foreseeable future, Lauer and Burnes heading up our AAA rotation and guys like Ashby and Small making their way through the minors.

For this year, the pen would be weakened without Peralta, but we have some necessary rotation depth with the aforementioned Lauer and Burnes in AAA and Suter sitting in the pen ready to get stretched out if necessary. That's eight guys deep even before we get guys like Zack Brown and Trey Supak.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Peralta extension makes things interesting. As much as I wanted him as a starter, I thought he was destined for the pen until they extended him. Now I think there's a good chance that he starts the year in the rotation, which means that Lauer could be the odd man out. In the long-term, things look fairly bright with Woodruff (5 years of control), Peralta (recent extension), Lindblom (3 year deal), and Houser (5 years of control) in the MLB rotation for the foreseeable future, Lauer and Burnes heading up our AAA rotation and guys like Ashby and Small making their way through the minors.

For this year, the pen would be weakened without Peralta, but we have some necessary rotation depth with the aforementioned Lauer and Burnes in AAA and Suter sitting in the pen ready to get stretched out if necessary. That's eight guys deep even before we get guys like Zack Brown and Trey Supak.

Imo there is no way Lauer sees the minors. He'll be in the pen (if not starting) and used frequently when other starters get shelled. A lefty that can go multiple innings and start is invaluable, especially in the NLC.

Imo there is no way Lauer sees the minors. He'll be in the pen (if not starting) and used frequently when other starters get shelled. A lefty that can go multiple innings and start is invaluable, especially in the NLC.

That won't change in the future, so if you can get an extra year's service time (while keeping him stretched out as a starter) by starting him in the minors, that may be more valuable than sticking him in the pen this year.

Whoever doesn't win one of the opening day rotation spots will be the first guy called on as an injury replacement until Burnes proves himself. I'd rather that person be stretched out in AAA instead of calling someone from the pen who will only be able to go 3-4 innings for his first few starts.

Regardless, having "too many" starting pitchers is a good problem for the Brewers to have.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't view Anderson as anything other than a guy in our rotation.

I have zero expectations for him since he is made of glass.

I do not want him taking starts away from other guys who have earned them, based on the fact that we went out and signed him.

If he makes 12-15 starts without having a season ending injury, I'll be shocked.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

There's a misconception that Houser is a young pitcher. He's 27. Lauer is 24. Houser has bullpen experience. Lauer doesn't. Bssides the Brewers have a multi inning lefty in Suter. I think Houser fits the role that Chase Anderson had starting last season. In his last 6 starts in 2019, Houser reached 5 innings once. In his last 6 starts in 2019, Lauer hit 6 innings four times and three of those four were quality starts..

My rotation would be: Woodruff, Peralta, Anderson and Lauer with the 5th spot between Burnes and the unproven Lindblom with Houser wating in the wings should he be needed.

Archived