Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers rotation

adambr2

It occured to me tonight that I can't with extreme confidence name a single member of the Brewers' 2020 rotation besides Brandon Woodruff.

Davies seems like the surest bet after, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him traded. I have no idea if Houser will be back in the rotation or pen. I have no idea if Lyles or Gonzales will be back and I have no idea if they will exercise the option on Anderson. Peralta is presumably headed back to the pen.

There's just absolutely no way you can roll out Corbin Burnes in Milwaukee to start 2020, no matter what he looks like in the spring. He's got to be headed to San Antonio.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not even try to attempt to answer this. Way too many variables going into the offseason what that rotation. Lyles back? Anderson gone to save money? Houser in? Gio?

Davies is the only clear answer (outside of Woodruff).

I expect that they won't make the same mistake they did with Wade Miley, and will make a concerted effort to resign Jordan Lyles. Gio may be back as well, but I think that's a little more iffy. I agree that Peralta is likely in the pen full time moving forward. I think Burnes starts the year at AAA, but I expect him to make starts with the Brewers at some point next year. Houser showed well as a starter for the most part, and has a full starter's arsenal of pitches. I think he's 100% in the rotation next year. Maybe we'll see Davies or Anderson dealt, but I bet one is back for sure.

1. Woodruff

2. Lyles

3. Houser

4. Davies

5. Gio? Anderson? FA acquisition? Eventually Burnes?

Then there's Nelson. I personally want to see him given a shot at earning a rotation spot. obviously the progress was slow, but I think he did make progress, and his last few appearances out of the pen were very encouraging.

Lots of question marks, but the cupboard is far from bare.

I know this is about the Brewers, but I also think it’s crazy that 4/5 of the Minnesota Twins rotation from a 101-win team are Free Agents this off-season (Jake Odorizzi, Kyle Gibson, Martín Pérez, Michael Pineda). *Team option w/ Pérez for $7.5 mil which I don’t think they’ll pick up.

As far as the Brewers I think Houser will stay in the rotation and Davies will be back. I’d like to see them move on from Chase Anderson. I’d be fine with re-signing Jordan Lyles, but wouldn’t expect him to maintain the same results we have seen over the past couple of months.

It’s never easy (or a sure bet) to find starting pitching via free agency, but there are more intriguing options this year than most. Also wouldn’t rule out a trade for starting pitching, we know they were at least working on a deal for Mike Minor last off-season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'd cool it on the Lyles train. He's probably just a guy that got hot for a good stretch but penciling him in as a SP seems less than ideal. I hope there is something big coming this offseason, whether it's a trade or FA because this team is going to have so many holes with the impending departures.

Houser and Woodruff would seem to be locks. You aren't going to get value trading Davies, so he is in rotation. I think they use Chase Anderson money to sign Lyles, even knowing he won't pitch like he did for us this year. Gio only if cheap. Maybe Suter into the rotation, but I love him as the 2-3 inning guy for when Counsell takes a starter out in the 4/5 inning. Looks like need at least one free agent starter that is pretty solid. If they can't resign Grandal, all of a sudden they have a lot of money to spend on the second tier of starting pitcher free agents.

Not the first option (or even second option) but who knows: Peralta, Burnes, Nelson. Plus by midseason, maybe some of the minor league pitchers will have improved and be ready to help.

Suter is probably best in the role he is in now.

Honestly the best realistic thing that can happen to this staff is that Knebel can still play at the level he did. Things would seem to be in his favor, TJ not being the death sentence it once was, and that he got injured in March and not August. I've made my stance on Josh Hader clear but I know that won't happen, so the best thing would be Knebel coming back and putting Hader back where he was. Then you could probably still have success with a patchwork bottom of the rotation.

I'd cool it on the Lyles train. He's probably just a guy that got hot for a good stretch but penciling him in as a SP seems less than ideal. I hope there is something big coming this offseason, whether it's a trade or FA because this team is going to have so many holes with the impending departures.

IMO, the Brewers erred in not picking up Lyles' option last season. The guy is a solid pitcher ... maybe even a good pitcher. Is he the ace-like pitcher that we saw from August on this year? No, probably not. But even if his ceiling is as a solid mid-rotation guy, that's extremely useful and valuable.

Jordan had 36 miserable innings in the middle of 2019. 15 of those innings (3 starts) were against the Brewers, a team very familiar with him. I could speculate that Lyles is closer to the very solid pitcher he was outside of those 36 innings and the Brewers saw something they could (and did) fix. More baseless speculation- tipping pitches, mechanical correction, analytics?

I know its bad form to just remove 36 of 141 IP, but in this one instance I'd put a little more stock into his 2.45 ERA over 106 IP than the poor 36 IP.

I don't know why we get so worked up about who the 5 starters will be. If we've learned anything over the last couple years it's that it's going to take 10 or so guys to make it through the season. I think the better way to look at this is as a full pitching staff. Roster mainstays and shuttle guys.

I don't know why we get so worked up about who the 5 starters will be. If we've learned anything over the last couple years it's that it's going to take 10 or so guys to make it through the season. I think the better way to look at this is as a full pitching staff. Roster mainstays and shuttle guys.

That's a good point, so what does the depth chart look like now, if Lyles and Gonzalez are gone? Not a lot of depth.

Woodruff

Davies

Houser

Anderson

Nelson

Suter

Burnes

Peralta

Wilkerson

Supak

Brown

Nobody should be sleeping on Burnes. He certainly won't be locked into a rotation spot or anything, but the arm is electric. Something was wonky with him this year, but I'd be shocked if him/the brewers didn't figure it out and get him back to being an effective arm again.

I think Houser Woodruff Davies are locks for rotation if healthy. Burnes should be as well. I am guessing Suter will be the 5. You almost have to let Burnes go for 2 months and see how he does. Too much potential. Helps free up money to figure out C,SS,3b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would bet that Houser is given every opportunity in spring training to be one of them. In fact, I think only an injury or extreme poor performance stops that from happening.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think Houser Woodruff Davies are locks for rotation if healthy. Burnes should be as well. I am guessing Suter will be the 5. You almost have to let Burnes go for 2 months and see how he does. Too much potential. Helps free up money to figure out C,SS,3b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting Burnes figured out has to be one of the top priorities of the off-season, doesn't it? The guy has just too much talent to pitch the way he did this year. I'm no pitching guru, but hopefully they can pinpoint some of his command issues and get him back on track. Would be just gigantic if you could get a young, strong nucleus of Woody, Burnes and Houser in this rotation for the next few years. Then, fill in with guys like Davies, Suter, Nelson, Lyles, etc.

Woodruff, Davies, Lyles, Houser, Gio. That should be a low cost rotation without a ton of injury concerns. Being able to stay healthy is something that really gets overlooked when it comes to starters. Sign a few guys with potential for AAA and hopefully Burnes will get it figured out.

Non tender/release Anderson and Nelson.

Spend the money on the offense.

They are going to have some of the starters go longer than 4-5 innings because CC wont have that extend Roster come Next Sept.

they did regularly before September.

The short term memory here is amazing. I haven't spent a ton of time, but let me guess...everyone is saying that Hader sucks right? He had one critical bad outing which completely negates his 2.62 ERA and 0.806 WHIP.

That's a good point, so what does the depth chart look like now, if Lyles and Gonzalez are gone? Not a lot of depth.

Woodruff

Davies

Houser

Anderson

Nelson

Suter

Burnes

Peralta

Wilkerson

Supak

Brown

Wilkerson and Burnes are not options. Burnes looked horrible and needs to prove something in AA or AAA. Wilkerson was beyond terrible in the majors and was dfa'd so he too is out. Brown looked pathetic in AAA, so I don't see him as any type option either. Supak too looked terrible in AAA, but good in AA. I don't see him being anywhere near MLB ready next year. That doesn't leave much so hopefully Gio and Lyes are re-signed and Stearns finds some way to get another pitcher.

Woody

Wheeler/Odorizzi

Anderson

Lyles

Davies

Hader

Pomeranz

Claudio

Knebel

Peralta

Houser

Black

Wahl

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Woody

Wheeler/Odorizzi

Anderson

Lyles

Davies

Hader

Pomeranz

Claudio

Knebel

Peralta

Houser

Black

Wahl

I think Nelson is going to get every chance to factor in to that discussion. And I feel like the Crew would have made a harder push for Odorizzi two years ago if they liked him. Wheeler seems more likely IMO.

We will seem. I actually really like this group of pitchers. Especially with the 3 batter minimum coming. We have a lot of guys who can throw 2-3 every third day.

Woodruff

Davies

Houser

Anderson

Nelson

Suter

Burnes

Peralta

Wilkerson

Supak

Brown

Wilkerson and Burnes are not options. Burnes looked horrible and needs to prove something in AA or AAA. Wilkerson was beyond terrible in the majors and was dfa'd so he too is out. Brown looked pathetic in AAA, so I don't see him as any type option either. Supak too looked terrible in AAA, but good in AA. I don't see him being anywhere near MLB ready next year. That doesn't leave much so hopefully Gio and Lyes are re-signed and Stearns finds some way to get another pitcher.

How do people still speak in certainties around here?

So you are telling me Burnes goes from looking like a top 20 young arm in baseball to not having a clue after we switch pitching coaches and there isn't a chance he can tweak some mechanics this winter and return to prospect he was for 3+ years? If he has a good winter and comes out lighting people up in Spring Training he will absolutely be an option and likely will break camp in the rotation. Come on man.

Archived