Brewer Fanatic

2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3 -- Nationals score 3 runs in 8th inning; Heartbreaking end to 2019]

Eye Black

If you had told me in May that Hader would enter a game in the 8th inning with a 2 run lead and a win would send to the Brewers to the DS, I would have liked their chances. But, like a lot of others here, tonight there was a lot of apprehension.

My biggest disappointment will be getting a refund for the tickets I bought for Game 3 against the Dodgers on Sunday. Even if they had been down 2-0 I was looking forward to experiencing playoff baseball in person again. We don’t get that many chances around here.

Losing the way they lost tonight really hurts, but not even 10% as much as the loss in Game 7 last year. With Yelich out and Cain, Braun, and Moose impaired, it was hard for me to convince myself that the Brewers could go very far.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't even think about next year. Probably losing 66% of tonight's run support. I always vanish from here for a good couple months. I was so ready to be at Miller Park this weekend.

This is worse than last year for me. At least that one was a slow let down we had half a game to digest.

Not even close. They had homefield advantage and the best record in the national league last year. Also, the real blow was game 2 in the NLCS. They would’ve won that series in 5- they were the best team in the National League and pitching was lights out from top to bottom with minimal injuries. This was absolutely brutal, but I think most fans (won’t speak for everyone) were just going to be happy getting to watch this team play a few more games.

I can't even think about next year. Probably losing 66% of tonight's run support. I always vanish from here for a good couple months. I was so ready to be at Miller Park this weekend.

This is worse than last year for me. At least that one was a slow let down we had half a game to digest.

I’m just grateful that the Game 7 loss wasn’t this sudden and brutal.

This is worse than last year for me, too, we didn't make it game 7 of the NLCS.

Still, I consider the season a success on the whole since the Cubs, Phillies & Mets spent over a half billion dollars to not even lose the Wild Card game.

The immediacy of the loss is tougher than last year, but I think the disappointment will fade fairly quickly for me because a) the climb to get to this point was tremendous, and b) I did not honestly believe they could even advance past the NLDS, let alone win the whole thing.

This is worse than last year for me, too, we didn't make it game 7 of the NLCS.

Still, I consider the season a success on the whole since the Cubs, Phillies & Mets spent over a half billion dollars to not even lose the Wild Card game.

I consider the season a success too. Especially for how bad a team they were at the all star break. But I am also,going to,separate the success with an extreme disappointment for blowing the Colorado game and the wild card game. At least one of those should have been won if not both

This game is a microcosm of the season. Knebel not available, Hader too streaky, offense disappearing for long stretches. I wasn't as emotional involved with the team this season as most on this board, but followed closely enough to appreciate the September run and feel the punch gut at the end. However, I'll be over it this time tomorrow and will see this game as a fitting end to the season.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not they are going to hang a little banner up in the stadium for this year.

I'm sure they will, and it will be fine. This is a season, especially for the last month, that should be remembered and honored.

Really? I can understand in 2008, when it was a 1 WC team format. Or even if we had won tonight.

I had kind of hoped that we are past the point where we would celebrate being a team that lost the WC play-in game between the #4 and #5 seeded teams in the league. I can't imagine that is a thing in any other stadium, but maybe I am wrong.

Not saying that this season shouldn't be celebrated or that it was a disappointment, but I think our goals have gotten a little beyond that. This isn't 2007 anymore.

On Arcia batting in the ninth? In a vaccuum, it was bad.

But the options on the bench were Pina, Perez, Tyler Austin and Tyrone Taylor. Don’t think any of those guys are much better, honestly.

A regret? Healthy Lo Cain would have had a shot at that Ryan Zimmerman duck snort. Sigh. Sometimes it just isn’t your day.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not they are going to hang a little banner up in the stadium for this year.

I'm sure they will, and it will be fine. This is a season, especially for the last month, that should be remembered and honored.

Really? I can understand in 2008, when it was a 1 WC team format. Or even if we had won tonight.

I had kind of hoped that we are past the point where we would celebrate being a team that lost the WC play-in game between the #4 and #5 seeded teams in the league. I can't imagine that is a thing in any other stadium, but maybe I am wrong.

Question because I don’t know the answer. Do the packers commemorate wild card appearances? Or even division championships?

Do the bucks do the same for playoff appearances, etc?

Not saying that this season shouldn't be celebrated or that it was a disappointment, but I think our goals have gotten a little beyond that. This isn't 2007 anymore.

I think it's pretentious to poo-poo a season where you made the postseason. It isn't like this team deserves to have some type of Cardinals-esque sense of entitlement. Making the playoffs in MLB is tough, and doing it in back-to-back years is even tougher.

This game is a microcosm of the season. Knebel not available, Hader too streaky, offense disappearing for long stretches. I wasn't as emotional involved with the team this season as most on this board, but followed closely enough to appreciate the September run and feel the punch gut at the end. However, I'll be over it this time tomorrow and will see this game as a fitting end to the season.

It’s kind of sad that a fitting end to the season is a game that featured a reLiever choking in the late inning. A schoolboy error. And 0 for a million with risp

Ha

If you had told me in May that Hader would enter a game in the 8th inning with a 2 run lead and a win would send to the Brewers to the DS, I would have liked their chances. But, like a lot of others here, tonight there was a lot of apprehension.

My biggest disappointment will be getting a refund for the tickets I bought for Game 3 against the Dodgers on Sunday. Even if they had been down 2-0 I was looking forward to experiencing playoff baseball in person again. We don’t get that many chances around here.

Losing the way they lost tonight really hurts, but not even 10% as much as the loss in Game 7 last year. With Yelich out and Cain, Braun, and Moose impaired, it was hard for me to convince myself that the Brewers could go very far.

Same way I feel. Have no idea how anyone can equate a Wild Card loss with a win-or-go home shot at the World Series. There’s no comparison.

House money to even get in the playoffs with everything that went sideways this year, honestly.

Which is why I feel strangely fine about 2020, though the weaknesses of the structure of the offense need to be addressed.

Hard to consider the season a success in a vacuum. Everyone wanted to build on last year and they didn't. They're just older and worse now, by just about any measure. An impressive run to make a go of it in the end, but losing a play in game is not what I hoped to get from 2019.

Feel worse about 2020 than I did about 2019 last winter, too.

2011 will be the year I look back on and shake my head 30 years from now. Sure feels that way.

But the options on the bench were Pina, Perez, Tyler Austin and Tyrone Taylor. Don’t think any of those guys are much better, honestly.

A regret? Healthy Lo Cain would have had a shot at that Ryan Zimmerman duck snort. Sigh. Sometimes it just isn’t your day.

Arcia had one of the few hits tonight, and has been hitting the ball better of late. I have no problem with him taking that AB. I feel like he's one of the few who doesn't go up there trying to constantly hit a homer.

After Yelich's injury... I had written off the playoffs. This team surprised me.

Losing Knebel for the season, and then Jeffress getting hurt and never being the same after... we lost 2/3 of the three-headed monster. Burnes had a horrific sophomore slump. We never got it back. Hader had to shoulder it alone for too long. He was arguably a little gassed.

Next year, if the Crew can bring back Pomeranz, they have a four-headed monster of Hader, Knebel, Pomeranz, and Peralta. That's if Suter's in the rotation again. If not, the bullpen is a five-headed monster.

Sometimes, you need to grade on a curve. This season is one of those times.

This wasn't Craig Counsell's best managed game by any stretch of the imagination. Substituting Hiura out for defense made plenty of sense, but if he had used Perez instead of Spangenberg, he would have has another lefty available to pinch hit in the 9th. Instead all he had left was Gamel, who he had to save for the pitcher's spot.

He was caught with his pants down when Arcia came up against Hudson in the 9th.

Hard to consider the season a success in a vacuum. Everyone wanted to build on last year and they didn't. They're just older and worse now, by just about any measure. An impressive run to make a go of it in the end, but losing a play in game is not what I hoped to get from 2019.

Feel worse about 2020 than I did about 2019 last winter, too.

2011 will be the year I look back on and shake my head 30 years from now. Sure feels that way.

I would call it a success because of what type of team they were at the all star break

But an absolutely failure from game 160 on. They should be playing more games. It was garbage.

Arcia had one of the few hits tonight, and has been hitting the ball better of late. I have no problem with him taking that AB. I feel like he's one of the few who doesn't go up there trying to constantly hit a homer.

As far as I'm concerned, for 2020, he's on a short leash. If he struggles to get to the Uecker line, I'm callin' for Moose at short and Braun at third.

Same way I feel. Have no idea how anyone can equate a Wild Card loss with a win-or-go home shot at the World Series. There’s no comparison.

House money to even get in the playoffs with everything that went sideways this year, honestly.

Which is why I feel strangely fine about 2020, though the weaknesses of the structure of the offense need to be addressed.

The stakes were obviously much higher, but the Brewers went down 3-2 in that series and down 5-1 in G7. You had time to digest it. Not tonight, when I was checking the start times of the series with LA minutes before we imploded again.

I was sitting at DJs Goalpost with my pals and I told them I didn’t want Hader doing 2 innings. Honestly I think the worst thing that happened was that long Suter inning and long Pomeranz inning. That shifted everything towards disaster. So damn close.

As far as I'm concerned, for 2020, he's on a short leash. If he struggles to get to the Uecker line, I'm callin' for Moose at short and Braun at third.

Just stop ... not tonight. This borders on trolling IMO.

Archived