Brewer Fanatic

2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3 -- Nationals score 3 runs in 8th inning; Heartbreaking end to 2019]

Eye Black
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hader is not trash. Not even close.

However, Hader has been shaky over the last week (the HR in Colorado was, for me, a worse gut punch than this, and remember, he barely escaped in game one against the Reds last Tuesday) and has been streaky all season.

Counsell should have accounted for that and limited his exposure in this game, not expect him to go two, which exposes him to the majority of the Nats’ lineup even if things do go well.

Either someone should have pitched between Suter and Pomeranz, or, let Pomeranz continue until he showed vulnerability.

So I pin this one on Counsell. Pretty angry about it, honestly, because he needs to read his team better than he did.

Secondary villains? The offense, I guess, though it’s hard to argue three runs against Scherzer. Strasburg is no tomato can either. The construction of the offense generally bothers me more. Pretty much over the three true outcomes stuff.

Grisham? Yeah. He needs to make that play obviously, but Hader needs to make his pitch too.

Ugh.

What a disappointing end to the season.

Counsell managed the bullpen innings more or less how I would have. I was nervous about Suter in the 5th, but he made it through without any runs, and that was the right choice.

Hader is supposed to be our best reliever and go-to guy. He blew our chance to win the division. He blew the wild card game. That is pretty brutal. I would have pitched him in the same spots, but the fact he can't close out any of these crucial games is pretty devastating. I don't know what to make of him going forward.

I have nothing against Grisham for his error. It was a mistake, but by that point Hader blew the lead and I have no confidence in his ability to maintain a tie, nor do I have confidence in the Brewers ability to re-gain the lead. They had their chance, and the all-star reliever blew it once again. A real punch in the gut.

I am somewhat optimistic that this team can be good again in 2020 with Yelich and Huira leading the charge.

Incredible year by Hader being judged by two games. He was arguably just as good or better this year. He had some hiccups, but feast or famine....yah idk.

Hader was negatively perceived this year because of a poor team giving him way too many 1 run games to blow. He just had very little room for error all too much.

He gave up 15 freaking home runs. That is more than starters. And he choked away a division and knocked his team out of the playoffs in three days. That is terrible

I think it’s completely fair to rip,him tonight.

And gave up less than 5 hits per 9, less than 2.5 walks per 9, and about 16.5 Ks per 9. Things that most pitchers in baseball can’t touch in their wildest dreams.

Keep grasping at one stat.

His overall stats speak volumes.

Why do the teams i follow always seem to lose in spectacular fashion instead of non dramatic one?

I would rather lose 5 to 2 and trailed the whole game.

You've angered the sports gods and need to make amends.

I blame Braun for the roids lie and Rodgers for not calling his parents. It’s been downhill pretty much ever since, and it’s cost the good people of Wisconsin two Super Bowls, a World Series, and Christian Yelich’s knee. The sin must be purged. [half blue]

When do the Bucks start?

Man, I came on here to read other fans thoughts about the game but stopped soon after because it sounded like a bunch of kids. Some of y’all need to chill. The team is better with both Hader and Grisham. Cheers to 2020.

well said.

Like/ thumbs up rankings are needed for comments like this one..

Every year at this time, I come to the same realization: I hate how much I love this game. A month off is a healthy thing, for me anyway. Before I hit close on another season, I just want to say how grateful I am for this online community. I have almost no one to talk Brewers with where I live, and my fan life would be so much poorer if it weren’t for the insight, the wit, the joy, and even the heartache I find with you here. Thanks for another great year. See you all over the hot stove.

I honestly can't believe they lost. It feels surreal, almost like the 2014 NFC championship. Nothing but NLDS thoughts for 2h45m and just like a train came through and the season is over. Unbelievable and becoming normal for all things WI.

Next up is an undefeated Wisconsin team get demolished in Columbus.

Sad...but probably true.

So, now that the emotion in here has died down a bit I'll say this. I wouldn't have changed a thing. No way do I give Pom 3 innings when he just hasn't done that in his current role. No way I bring in Peralta or Lyles in the 8th when Hader was struggling. Would you feel confident? Peralta can be just as wild, and Lyles is not used to entering a game in that situation. You don't gamble. Hader had countless outings this year where he was wild and got the job done. He didn't this time, aided by a blown hbp call, broken bat blooper, and error.

He's not "done." Just not dominant this year. Still, he was the best chance to get through the 8th. He, among others, need to go to change-up school this offseason.

Never would give Pom three innings, but somewhere on page 4 I said I would have used Hader for 2 or possibly 3 as the first man up, assuming Woodruff gave us a few. I would've gone Suter after that and play matchups as needed and left Pom for the 9th. He had shown far better control than Hader lately. Maybe they lose anyway but that would've been my plan.

I honestly can't believe they lost. It feels surreal, almost like the 2014 NFC championship. Nothing but NLDS thoughts for 2h45m and just like a train came through and the season is over. Unbelievable and becoming normal for all things WI.

Next up is an undefeated Wisconsin team get demolished in Columbus.

Sad...but probably true.

Wow, misery apparently loves company LOL

So, now that the emotion in here has died down a bit I'll say this. I wouldn't have changed a thing. No way do I give Pom 3 innings when he just hasn't done that in his current role. No way I bring in Peralta or Lyles in the 8th when Hader was struggling. Would you feel confident? Peralta can be just as wild, and Lyles is not used to entering a game in that situation. You don't gamble. Hader had countless outings this year where he was wild and got the job done. He didn't this time, aided by a blown hbp call, broken bat blooper, and error.

He's not "done." Just not dominant this year. Still, he was the best chance to get through the 8th. He, among others, need to go to change-up school this offseason.

Never would give Pom three innings, but somewhere on page 4 I said I would have used Hader for 2 or possibly 3 as the first man up, assuming Woodruff gave us a few. I would've gone Suter after that and play matchups as needed and left Pom for the 9th. He had shown far better control than Hader lately. Maybe they lose anyway but that would've been my plan.

Not unreasonable at all.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Hader is not trash. Not even close.

However, Hader has been shaky over the last week (the HR in Colorado was, for me, a worse gut punch than this, and remember, he barely escaped in game one against the Reds last Tuesday) and has been streaky all season.

Counsell should have accounted for that and limited his exposure in this game, not expect him to go two, which exposes him to the majority of the Nats’ lineup even if things do go well.

Either someone should have pitched between Suter and Pomeranz, or, let Pomeranz continue until he showed vulnerability.

So I pin this one on Counsell. Pretty angry about it, honestly, because he needs to read his team better than he did.

Secondary villains? The offense, I guess, though it’s hard to argue three runs against Scherzer. Strasburg is no tomato can either. The construction of the offense generally bothers me more. Pretty much over the three true outcomes stuff.

Grisham? Yeah. He needs to make that play obviously, but Hader needs to make his pitch too.

Ugh.

Super summary!

Incredible year by Hader being judged by two games. He was arguably just as good or better this year. He had some hiccups, but feast or famine....yah idk.

Hader was negatively perceived this year because of a poor team giving him way too many 1 run games to blow. He just had very little room for error all too much.

He gave up 15 freaking home runs. That is more than starters. And he choked away a division and knocked his team out of the playoffs in three days. That is terrible

I think it’s completely fair to rip,him tonight.

And gave up less than 5 hits per 9, less than 2.5 walks per 9, and about 16.5 Ks per 9. Things that most pitchers in baseball can’t touch in their wildest dreams.

Keep grasping at one stat.

His overall stats speak volumes.

Blowing a division and a wild card game in three days matters. Matters more than any stat

Hader will be here next year. Let’s hope he matters. We will see how mentally tough he is next year

The manager doesn't throw the pitches. But sure, not Counsell's best game. Think he might have been in the clubhouse already when Arcia hit in the 9th.

Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine. The player has to actually have the talent to belong in the league. Players are pawns. The manager/coach needs to do 1 thing. Put his players in position to succeed. If a guys missing every 3 but the play keeps dictating that he shoots it because he's open or if the pitcher can't throw a strike, or if the RT can't block his man and you keep letting him get run over solo. Do you just leave them in that and go well, "I don't throw the ball or shoot or block." No, you alter. You make decisions. IT'S ALL YOU DO! CC decided to let a guy who was off continue. Hader isn't going to pull himself. Yes Hader sucked tonight. Why was he still in when he couldn't execute?

When Hader is on you see 2 electric innings that set down 6 guys in effortless fashion. When he's struggling with FB control and has no SL you'd have to be a moron to hang your season on that. I don't care who the pitcher is. If Woodruff walked the first 3 guys, do you just let him get blasted for 10 run and blame him?

The coach/manger has a job to do as well. Part of that is saving players from themselves when they aren't on.

Was really visioning myself watching a win or go home tomorrow night while RELAXED knowing we’re moving on. Painful. It’s more painful overthinking everything now than it was watching it live.

I needed to grow up passionate about weather, economics, culinary arts. ANYTHING other than sports; tough to swallow- and now we all work tomorrow. lol! Good season guys, I only posted here this year when I was adamant they should’ve sold at the deadline- will eat my crow as the moves worked out. See ya guys next year (as a lurker/reader/rare poster) time to not care about sports until the Badgers lose a heartbreaker in Columbus this year! It’s the Wisconsin sports way!

And that's the thing. Your plan may have won the game, or maybe they give up 8 runs. We'll never know. I mean, Hader couldn't get through 1 inning and you wanted to give him 2 or 3? So that plan would have fell apart in the 5th instead of the 8th. Less heart breaking maybe, but same result.

Now they are emerging from the rubble and seeing the wreckage of the world the day after the initial attacks in Independence Day. I feel like that's us in the morning.

Maybe next year, Yelich and Hiura will be Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum while Grisham will be Randy Quaid when we face the Nationals in the NLCS.

For all this team went through, just making it to the playoffs was impressive. Especially after the Yelich injury - a part of me tnhat I am ashamed of wrote the season off there.

Hader was never used in his best role all year with Knebel needing a Tommy John and Jeffress being hurt and then ineffective. Wahl going down hurt the depth more.

This hurts, but it's not as bad as last year's heartbreak. I never wanna have to root for the f***in' Red Sox in a World Series again. Sorry, but after 2004, they're almost as insufferable as the Yankees.

Grisham is at worst, a successor to Ben Gamel. With the 26-man roster, there should be no excuse to let LoCain try to play through nagging injuries.

I just want to see the Crew bring back Pomeranz, Lyles, Grandal, and Moustakas, get everyone healthy, and kick some butt.

Not having Knebel was really devastating this year. Yeah, acquiring Pomeranz helped solidify the pen, but we never really got over the loss of Knebel which was compounded by the regression of Jeffress.

The difference between this year and last in the pen was that this year we had absolutely no contingency plan if Hader struggled. He was so much better in a flexible role than a straight closer's role. Didn't mean he couldn't close, but last year we had Knebel, we had Jeffress. We had options if it wasn't Hader's night.

This year, if it wasn't Hader's night, we were going to lose. Typically Pomeranz was already used by the time we got to Hader and I can't think of a single instance that it wasn't Hader's game to win or lose if he got the ball.

I can't even think about next year. Probably losing 66% of tonight's run support. I always vanish from here for a good couple months. I was so ready to be at Miller Park this weekend.

This is worse than last year for me. At least that one was a slow let down we had half a game to digest.

Archived