Brewer Fanatic

2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3 -- Nationals score 3 runs in 8th inning; Heartbreaking end to 2019]

Eye Black
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nats have a lot they can do to get favorable matchups. Can PH Adams for Kendrick or Cabrera as both can play 2b. Taylor can PH for Eaton/Soto if they choose, Parra can PH for Robles. Any of these guys can PH for Suzuki and simply put in Gomes late for defense. Taylor probably acts as their late inning pinch runner...as Dozier/Zimmerman can easily PH for the pitcher spot if we have a lefty in the game(Suter/Hader/Pomeranz).

HERE WE GO!!! Huge night for Wisconsin. I really don't know what to expect but I hope the good Brewers show up and play their A game. Nobody believes in them (outside of their fans), so I hope they show them all what they are made of. This is my Crew!

Heck, a lot of their "fans" don't even believe in them.

I’m always reminded of that scene in Major League during the montage of the Tribe turning their season around, but the grounds crew putting the batters boxes on the field are unimpressed and mutter “They’re still [expletive].” That’s Brewers Twitter. And every IGT after a loss.

As much as I've harped on the Brewers needing to run today, Grandal behind the plate against this team is a bit nerve-wracking. They could run like crazy on him.

I actually think Grandal has been pretty solid throwing this season. It's passed balls that have sort of been an issue.

As much as I've harped on the Brewers needing to run today, Grandal behind the plate against this team is a bit nerve-wracking. They could run like crazy on him.

I actually think Grandal has been pretty solid throwing this season. It's passed balls that have sort of been an issue.

27% CS...though he has one of the worst pop times and weakest arms behind the plate in the league. His CS success is likely due to more fringey guys taking chances on him...and accuracy. I feel like every BB/single by Turner is basically a triple in due time. Same with Taylor if he gets in the game.

HERE WE GO!!! Huge night for Wisconsin. I really don't know what to expect but I hope the good Brewers show up and play their A game. Nobody believes in them (outside of their fans), so I hope they show them all what they are made of. This is my Crew!

Heck, a lot of their "fans" don't even believe in them.

I’m always reminded of that scene in Major League during the montage of the Tribe turning their season around, but the grounds crew putting the batters boxes on the field are unimpressed and mutter “They’re still [expletive].” That’s Brewers Twitter. And every IGT after a loss.

I predict we'll see a lot of "well I'm glad to be wrong" come about 10:30 tonight. I'll say 4-2 good guys. Brewers get an early lead on the back of a Moose HR, and we bite all the nails as the pen tries to hang on.

Definitely surprised Grisham is starting since he is 1-25 recently. Maybe Gamel will be the first guy to pinch hit and then left in the game to replace Grisham?

You are then left with either Taylor or Perez to replace Braun or Cain if their injuries flare up. I'm not sure I'm ok with that.

Grabbing the early lead is probably a key. Score a few runs and put the Nationals into a panic to go to a different pitcher. More pitchers we see the better I think our chances are. Once that manager makes that first switch it is a domino effect and they get trigger happy to keep going at a sign of trouble.

Brewers roster out as well. Includes both Cain and Braun.

And Travis Shaw. I'm totally here for a Travis Shaw hero moment tonight. :)

I'm a little surprised to see Shaw on the postseason roster.

Orlando Arcia 3 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 .667 .667 1.000 1.667

Ryan Braun 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 .000 .000 .000 .000

Lorenzo Cain 15 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 .000 .063 .000 .063

Ben Gamel 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 .333 .333 .667 1.000

Tuffy Gosewisch 4 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .250 .400 .250 .650

Yasmani Grandal 13 1 0 0 0 0 1 7 .077 .143 .077 .220

Mike Moustakas 36 6 1 0 1 4 1 11 .167 .189 .278 .467

Hernan Perez 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000 .000 .000 .000

Travis Shaw 6 2 0 0 1 1 2 1 .333 .500 .833 1.333

Cory Spangenberg 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000 .000 .000 .000

Eric Thames 9 3 2 0 0 1 2 3 .333 .455 .556 1.010

This is the batting lines vs Scherzer of this roster. 16hits all told in 114ABs Shaw has 2 of them (1HR) with 2 BBs. Cain/Braun are combined 0/29 with 12Ks. There's a huge reason why the Nats are favored. Hiura and Grisham can maybe improve what is essentially a dead lineup w/o Yelich who was 10/29 with 3HRs. Only other HR hit by a Brewer vs Scherzer was Moose in 37ABs.

The team's hopes are that while Scherzer may be throwing a no-hitter thru 7IP, he's removed and replaced by Corbin who the team has at least success against. Strasburg vs Brew are pretty much just as bad.

I would say the Brewers may need to outscore the Nationals to win this one. Sounds crazy to say but just may prove true.

Disagree. Thee only certain way to victory will be for the Brewers to allow fewer runs scored than the Nationals.

I have zero expectations for this game so I will simply enjoy it. If we get to play the NL's evil empire starting tomorrow, even better!
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Thinking Shaw will be the first PH in this game. They'll save Gamel for later in the game. Last year Arcia was very focused in the postseason and had some big hits, would love to see that again. Expect to see Spangenberg or Perez replace Hiura late in the game if they have a lead. I'm guessing the plan is to turn it into a 4 or 5 Inning game, with Pomeranz & Hader each going 2 innings on the back end.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived