Brewer Fanatic

2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Eye Black

Use this thread over the next 36 hours to discuss the upcoming MLB playoffs including the Brewers scheduled Wild Card game versus the Nationals on Tuesday, October 1st at 7:08 p.m. CT (televised on TBS).

A proper IGT will be posted early Tuesday morning for the NL Wild Card game.

48817395013_93ef360bc2_c.jpg

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current version of the Wild Card game was first implemented in 2012, below are some random facts regarding past participants.

In the National League the visiting team has won 5 of the 7 WC games.

In the American League the home team has won 4 of the 7 WC games.

The most successful Wild Card teams since the inception of the current format are the 2014 Giants (won World Series) and 2014 Royals (lost World Series).

The following Wild Card winners advanced into (but lost) the League Championship Series: 2012 Cardinals, 2015 Cubs, 2016 Blue Jays, 2017 Yankees

Only 2 of the 14 Wild Card games have been decided by a deficit of less than 3 runs, and both of those were extra innings games (there have been 3 total games that went into extra innings).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'd obviously rather have had a five-game series than a one-game series (away, at that). But on the bright side, I think we match up better against the Dodgers in a five-gamer than in a seven-gamer. And then if the Cards are the draw in that seven-gamer, I like our odds. Although it may be bad for my blood pressure.

And then of course it will be an honor to lose to Wade Miley's team. ;)

Honestly the Brewers are a terrible fit for being in a WC situation. They rely heavily on the bullpen and their premium guys pitching well. If they make it past the WC game they likely don’t have Hader/Pomeranz/Woodruff/Suter for the first two games of the NLDS. For that reason I don’t think they match up well with the Dodgers. They will be hugely disadvantaged after bullpening their way to a WC win against a team exponentially better than them. They really needed to start the NLDS fresh to have a good chance for postseason success in my opinion (and on paper).

Maybe they could pitch Game 2 (for anyone going multiple innings), but that’s pressing your luck and their effectiveness could be quite questionable.

It’s baseball, it is random...but this team simply is not set up for a run deep into the postseason. Real bummed after they choked in the Rockies series. Hopefully they can end on a high note and not find themselves done after Tuesday. Not saying they will lose Tuesday or can’t make a run (any team can), but it would be quite a miracle.

On paper this is a blood bath.

Hopefully they have one more magic trick left.

The brewers have a pretty darn good lineup if they can get healthy. Not including yelich, it's a pretty strong group. And we have enough quality pitchers we can throw out to match up with the nats. Let's also remember their bullpen isn't super strong. Unless they go a bit overboard and piggyback strasburg and scherzer... we have a chance if we can keep runs off the board and get to the bullpen.

On paper this is a blood bath.

Hopefully they have one more magic trick left.

The brewers have a pretty darn good lineup if they can get healthy. Not including yelich, it's a pretty strong group. And we have enough quality pitchers we can throw out to match up with the nats. Let's also remember their bullpen isn't super strong. Unless they go a bit overboard and piggyback strasburg and scherzer... we have a chance if we can keep runs off the board and get to the bullpen.

The Nationals will totally throw Strasburg and whoever else they need if Scherzer doesn't go deep. In fact, they might use Strasburg even if Scherzer does go deep. They will absolutely use as many of their best pitchers as necessary. We won't see their crap bullpen unless it's out of hand.

I think we will see Strasburg come in to relieve Scherzer once his pitch count gets high or from ineffectiveness. I don’t see the Nationals messing around with their bullpen at all during a single elimination game. The Nationals are going to use their best arms to try to advance.

Honestly the Brewers are a terrible fit for being in a WC situation. They rely heavily on the bullpen and their premium guys pitching well. If they make it past the WC game they likely don’t have Hader/Pomeranz/Woodruff/Suter for the first two games of the NLDS. For that reason I don’t think they match up well with the Dodgers. They will be hugely disadvantaged after bullpening their way to a WC win against a team exponentially better than them. They really needed to start the NLDS fresh to have a good chance for postseason success in my opinion (and on paper).

Maybe they could pitch Game 2 (for anyone going multiple innings), but that’s pressing your luck and their effectiveness could be quite questionable.

It’s baseball, it is random...but this team simply is not set up for a run deep into the postseason. Real bummed after they choked in the Rockies series. Hopefully they can end on a high note and not find themselves done after Tuesday. Not saying they will lose Tuesday or can’t make a run (any team can), but it would be quite a miracle.

You realize we get off days between the WC game and DS right?

Community Moderator

So many off days. The October schedule is perfect for the Brewers' bullpen approach. No game Wednesday or Saturday if they make it to the NLDS. They can bullpen their way through the majority of postseason games. Last year in that NLDS sweep the starters only covered 12 2/3 innings out of 28 and then they had several days off before the NLCS.

More reason for optimism--Scherzer is far from untouchable in October. He is 0-4 in the postseason since 2013 (last 7 appearances) with a 4.28 ERA.

Anyone think the Cards have a prayer against Atlanta?

I think the Braves have a clear advantage but the playoffs are a complete crapshoot. Bad teams get hot and go all the way pretty often.

Also for the other comment above, bullpen heavy teams are a perfect fit for the wild card, the structure of the teams gives the Brewers a huge advantage in this game. However, the fact everyone is hurt makes it pretty unlikely we are going to go on a run. Hard to go on a run when most of your top guys are all trying to play hurt or out.

Well, one day.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I'm really surprised by how many doubters there are already. This is playoff baseball! Absolutely anything can happen. While I expect a hard-fought, low-scoring game tomorrow, nothing would surprise me. This Brewers team truly is a Wild Card, in that it's true identity is a complete mystery.

I expect we'll see three innings from Woodruff tomorrow, followed by either Suter or Peralta (maybe both). Then probably Pomeranz and Hader. Those are pitchers I'd put up against any team. Watching the matchups in tomorrow's game is going to be a lot of fun. If the Brewers can manage to scratch out a few runs, I like their chances.

Archived