Brewer Fanatic

2019-09-29: Brewers (Houser) at Rockies (Hoffman) [Brewers lose, 4-3 in 13 innings]

Eye Black

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which crazy ass poster is coming out of the woodwork today? The anticipation is killing me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Almost playing chicken with the Cardinals today. If the Cubs go up 5-0 in the 3rd again you play a lot more to win. If it's the other way around you still try to win but focus a lot more on the rest and health of your key players and chew up some innings with guys who won't be on the playoff roster.

Almost playing chicken with the Cardinals today. If the Cubs go up 5-0 in the 3rd again you play a lot more to win. If it's the other way around you still try to win but focus a lot more on the rest and health of your key players and chew up some innings with guys who won't be on the playoff roster.

I know you are thinking this way, but I can't see any scenario where the Brewers don't play to try to win this. Both games are happening at the same time, and the Cards' bullpen has been far from spotless lately. I suspect the Cubs/Cards game will be close, at least early on. I'm hoping that if the Brewers get some of the lesser guys in to pitch, it's because they are up 8 runs.

After a long-time lurking and posting on the site, it's kind of wonderful that we've reached a place where meaningful baseball on the last day feels like a disappointment to some.

I'd rather be starting play tied too, but we've got at least two games left before a long winter, and I am going to enjoy them either way!

It's been a hell of a run regardless of outcomes today. More incredible than last year and arguably the most unlikely run I've ever seen by any of my favorite teams (Packers rolling off 8 straight in 2016, maybe?).

Looking forward to sitting back and enjoying this afternoon. Here's to hoping for some daytime baseball tomorrow.

After a long-time lurking and posting on the site, it's kind of wonderful that we've reached a place where meaningful baseball on the last day feels like a disappointment to some.

I'd rather be starting play tied too, but we've got at least two games left before a long winter, and I am going to enjoy them either way!

Agreed. I was a lot more anxious last year than I am this year. I think they did exceptionally well to just be in this position.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Worst lineup of the year?

Amazing how the war of attrition of a 162 game schedule has left us with this.......lol

Well.........go get em boys.......hopefully Lo and Ryan are back for Tuesday.

No Arenado and no Story for Rockies.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Worst lineup of the year?

Amazing how the war of attrition of a 162 game schedule has left us with this.......lol

Well.........go get em boys.......hopefully Lo and Ryan are back for Tuesday.

I've seen worse this year. It's not that bad.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I know you are thinking this way, but I can't see any scenario where the Brewers don't play to try to win this. Both games are happening at the same time, and the Cards' bullpen has been far from spotless lately. I suspect the Cubs/Cards game will be close, at least early on. I'm hoping that if the Brewers get some of the lesser guys in to pitch, it's because they are up 8 runs.

Craig will know up to the second what is going on with the Cards. If you're locked in a 1-1 battle in the 6th and the Cubs are getting pounded in the 6th, you're not playing the odds at that point in looking to Tuesday? I mean, you have to. Craig is an analytical guy, he will know the percentages. You can't sit there and pull out all the stops to win a close game that has a 10% chance of ultimately meaning anything. You're still throwing all of Hader/Pomeranz and whoever else to try to win this thing even if the Cubs are getting blown out?

It's a bummer we didn't take care of business yesterday in which case a win would have meaning for us no matter what today. Unfortunately, that is what it is and we have to just control what we can control now.

As long as the Cardinals lose to the Braves and the Yankees don't win the World Series, I am content with this season. Anything the Brewers do for me is KFC gravy
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think it's gotta be later than the third inning. It would have to be like a 5 run difference in like the 7th.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

While last night’s game was obviously a gut punch, I’m consoling myself with the thought that it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Even with a win, the Brewers’ likely destination would still be the wild card game in DC. The Cards have the edge today with Flaherty pitching in a home game and the Brewers using all of their top relievers yesterday. It might be better to avoid game 163 and get an extra day of rest for the bullpen so they can go all out with their best bullpen arms on Tuesday. Losing game 163 would make the wild card game even more difficult.

I have a feeling that the Cards are going to win comfortably today by jumping out to an early lead while Flaherty shuts down the Cubs for 6-7 innings. For the Brewers to win I think they need to score early and send the Rockies into offseason mode. I don’t think we’re going to be seeing much, if any, of the Bullpen A Team.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Every time I see the lineup I’m just amazed at the fact that we will be in the playoffs even if it ends up as only one game.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived