Brewer Fanatic

2019 Miscellaneous college football news

LouisEly
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can understand that but honestly if the sport is too dangerous to play 15ish games in a sling/fall scenario, than it’s probably too dangerous to be playing.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can't imagine the SEC is going to cancel the fall season, but one wonders what the point of playing will be if there is no postseason.

[sarcasm]Well if you are the only conference that plays you get to claim the national title for your conference guaranteed![/sarcasm]

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Buying time. Smart move on their part.

Not sure how I'd feel as a player being asked to play two seasons so close together. (spring 2021, fall 2021)

They play 12-14 games in the fall, so I don't see why they couldn't split it between 7 in the spring and 7 in the fall. Play only your division rivals (6 games) with winners in the conference championship. Division rivalry games are usually the more interesting games (save Michigan and Ohio State), so if fans are allowed that would maximize ticket revenue.

For teams that don't make the conference championship, allow them to schedule one bonus bowl-like regional game against any opponent they want, conference or non-conference. Could create some very interesting regional games - Nebraska vs. Oklahoma or Colorado, Iowa vs. Missouri, Minnesota vs. Iowa State, Michigan vs. Notre Dame, Indiana vs. Kentucky, Purdue vs. Louisville, Penn State vs. West Virginia, Maryland vs. Virginia, Michigan State vs Pitt, Illinois vs. Memphis, etc..

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/08/11/big-tens-decision-shut-down-football-2020-costly/3342888001/

I don't feel a bit sorry for Alvarez and the fat cats that sit atop of the athletic department, but I do feel sorry for the "insignificants" in the athletic department that will lose their jobs, athletes that could end up losing a scholarship (and those athletes will no doubt be the deserving athletes as the football players with an IQ of 60 need not worry) and all the folks on the peripheral that will be impacted by this (construction workers who don't have a job because of the delay of the Camp Randall upgrade).

But remember, 1000 positive tests a day in Wisconsin but only about 350 people in the whole state hospitalized due to the virus (out of 5.822 million people). Fear-mongering media and government strikes again!

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/08/11/big-tens-decision-shut-down-football-2020-costly/3342888001/

I don't feel a bit sorry for Alvarez and the fat cats that sit atop of the athletic department, but I do feel sorry for the "insignificants" in the athletic department that will lose their jobs, athletes that could end up losing a scholarship (and those athletes will no doubt be the deserving athletes as the football players with an IQ of 60 need not worry) and all the folks on the peripheral that will be impacted by this (construction workers who don't have a job because of the delay of the Camp Randall upgrade).

But remember, 1000 positive tests a day in Wisconsin but only about 350 people in the whole state hospitalized due to the virus (out of 5.822 million people). Fear-mongering media and government strikes again!

Yeah, the presidents of all these schools all got together and said, "Hey, let's cancel our biggest money maker for no reason!" Come on man.

At some point, a majority of the general public will come to understand that there's something in between 'no effects' and 'hospitalization/death' that can result from COVID infection. The universities have identified one such effect, myocarditis, and it scares the bejeezus out of them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
College presidents were swayed by their lawyers not the media.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Imagine a football (or any sport) athlete dying on your watch of this pandemic. It might be a very small chance it occurs but it just would be awful.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

Yikes, the Nebraska situation got ugly quickly.

As for the finances...watching the whole “amateurism”‘charade start to fall apart is one of the most satisfying parts of this whole ordeal.

JosephC...seriously man, at this point everybody knows what number of cases are needed to reopen safely and 1,000/day ain’t it.

Yikes, the Nebraska situation got ugly quickly.

They're kind of lucky Delaney isn't still in charge of the conference. I have little doubt that their next schedule reveal would include starting the conference schedule off with three consecutive road games vs. some combination of OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and PSU. :)

So I take it since it's too dangerous to play football, and 1000 cases a day just show that the virus is still running crazy through society, that we all can have a consensus agreement that the NFL needs to cancel their season or at least delay it until next spring.

Here is a pretty good article about how NFL team's are dealing with myocarditis issue-

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2020/08/will-myocarditis-heart-condition-linked-to-covid-19-affect-nfl-ravens-doctor-says-its-a-concern.html

So I take it since it's too dangerous to play football, and 1000 cases a day just show that the virus is still running crazy through society, that we all can have a consensus agreement that the NFL needs to cancel their season or at least delay it until next spring.

Here is a pretty good article about how NFL team's are dealing with myocarditis issue-

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2020/08/will-myocarditis-heart-condition-linked-to-covid-19-affect-nfl-ravens-doctor-says-its-a-concern.html

I mean yeah, if they were being smart, the NFL would probably at least delay. But they won't, because money.

If there turns out to be any sort of permanent health damage from anything related to Covid, couldn't players sue the school for basically 'making' them play if they end up contracting it? If you'd lose your scholarship for not playing, that's as close to being made to play football as you can get. And any permanent health issues would tank their draft value.

Better off just canceling the season and letting the players decide what to do with the lost year--count it as a season and go for the draft or pretend it never existed and stay in the same class.

Buying time. Smart move on their part.

Not sure how I'd feel as a player being asked to play two seasons so close together. (spring 2021, fall 2021)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29653308/purdue-jeff-brohm-creates-plan-spring-football

Jeff Brohm's plan isn't a terrible one. He drastically cuts the amount of practices and padded practices and reduces the number of games played in each season. It's not a "great" plan, and I don't think any plan that has them playing 2 seasons in one calendar year is a great one, but it's a discussion starter.

"When it got canceled, it was heartbreaking," Brohm told ESPN. "You feel for guys that have worked their whole lives to get a chance to play football, and now they don't have that. It made me angry, and it made me want to just do something about it. That's why I put this together."

Nice to see a guy not whine and try to help the situation.

"When it got canceled, it was heartbreaking," Brohm told ESPN. "You feel for guys that have worked their whole lives to get a chance to play football, and now they don't have that. It made me angry, and it made me want to just do something about it. That's why I put this together."

Nice to see a guy not whine and try to help the situation.

A wise-guy (or was it wise man?) once told me, if you're going to point out a problem, you should also offer a solution.

1,000 DEATHS per day. Not just cases.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Some dude on twitter going all higheat saying big ten going to reinstate season from his source.

Everything I've heard says they're considering a January start, but I haven't heard anything credible beyond that.

Same. This guy is doing the same thing Highheat did. Doubling down as it started to gain some traction from bigger blogs/people(pat McAfee, big cat from barstool, etc)

Archived