Brewer Fanatic

2019 Miscellaneous college football news

LouisEly
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
About time.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NCAA has approved allowing players to sign endorsement deals as long as the school is not involved in the payments in anyway

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29112263/ncaa-group-oks-conditional-player-endorsements

From the article:

Ackerman said finding a way to prevent boosters and "overzealous individuals" from using endorsements as a way to pay for athletic performance or recruiting enticements remains one of their chief concerns.

:laughing Yeah... good luck with that...

I'd be in favor of it, so long as it was capped at something like $50K/year. Let them make enough to live off of (they're on scholarship so they don't have to worry about paying for school) but not an obscene amount that can be abused. Maybe a 50/50 split, with them keeping 50% and 50% going to a fund for all athletes at that school. And let them learn how taxes work.

I think it's pretty terrible news for the following reason. If I'm Nike, and my market research says an endorsement deal for player X will generate a Y amount of revenue if that player attends Tennessee, but will generate Y times 1.2 amount of revenue if that players attends USC (bigger market), then what would stop Nike from offering that player a 750k endorsement deal to attend Tennessee....but it's a 1.0 million dollar endorsement deal if they attend USC instead. Do I see corporations guiding players to certain schools to help their bottom line...absolutely I do.

Of course, the NCAA would act concerned about this...but really they know a system which sends better players to bigger markets and makes bigger winners on average will make bigger money over the long haul.

And I would like to point out that I can say this without bias as a Badger fan, because Wisconsin isn't in the running for those top 10 prospects which are the guys who would be getting these deals from shoe companies (or other big corporations).

I think it's pretty terrible news for the following reason. If I'm Nike, and my market research says an endorsement deal for player X will generate a Y amount of revenue if that player attends Tennessee, but will generate Y times 1.2 amount of revenue if that players attends USC (bigger market), then what would stop Nike from offering that player a 750k endorsement deal to attend Tennessee....but it's a 1.0 million dollar endorsement deal if they attend USC instead. Do I see corporations guiding players to certain schools to help their bottom line...absolutely I do.

Isn't this happening already? At least now it would be out in the open and we can stop pretending all the amateur student athlete nonsense.

Community Moderator

Isn't this happening already? At least now it would be out in the open and we can stop pretending all the amateur student athlete nonsense.

Yeah, believe this is more or less how Sonny Vacarro built his empire.

How many car dealership commercials in Tuscaloosa will now feature the entire Crimson Tide football team? For the record, I think college athletes have the right to profit from their likeness. Just be prepared to see some wild disparity.

They have said that it cannot be tied to the school in any way. It would still be illegal to steer them towards any school, and my understanding is that they would have to already be enrolled in a school for it to be legal. It would also be illegal for a coach to promise endorsements to a recruit.

How many car dealership commercials in Tuscaloosa will now feature the entire Crimson Tide football team? For the record, I think college athletes have the right to profit from their likeness. Just be prepared to see some wild disparity.

A lot more car dealerships in Madison, WI, and Austin, TX, and Columbus, OH, and suburban Detroit, MI, and Minneapolis, MN, and Los Angeles, CA, and Miami, FL... a tiny little town of Tuscaloosa will be at a disadvantage.

A lot more car dealerships in Madison, WI, and Austin, TX, and Columbus, OH, and suburban Detroit, MI, and Minneapolis, MN, and Los Angeles, CA, and Miami, FL... a tiny little town of Tuscaloosa will be at a disadvantage.

True, but are those businesses willing to pay an above market rate for endorsements just so their alma mater can benefit? I honestly don’t know, but I think it’s more likely to happen in the football-rabid South.

Community Moderator

True, but are those businesses willing to pay an above market rate for endorsements just so their alma mater can benefit? I honestly don’t know, but I think it’s more likely to happen in the football-rabid South.

Its all going to come down to who wants to help their chosen school. Its a great way to hide booster money, which is what the original intent of the Tuscaloosa dealership comment is about. It is already the worst kept secret that a lot of top players are getting paid down here. To the point where its accepted in conversation and not talked about as a conspiracy elsewhere. Now you can flat out make your payments and claim "advertising" as the source.

You also have to remember that the school owns the rights to the college images/jersey so if an advertiser wants to use the logo the school has to sign off on that and get a taste. This only opens up further questions because the appearance is that the school is involved in the payment for likeness to the player.

One question I have not seen is the use of agents. At this point I believe they are still illegal to sign with as a college player until after you are done and moving on to the next level. Are we now going to let players sign with agents to handle their endorsements, social media deals, etc?

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Exactly.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd be in favor of it, so long as it was capped at something like $50K/year. Let them make enough to live off of (they're on scholarship so they don't have to worry about paying for school) but not an obscene amount that can be abused. Maybe a 50/50 split, with them keeping 50% and 50% going to a fund for all athletes at that school. And let them learn how taxes work.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm waiting to see how this is going to upset competitive balance and how it is going to impact the programs that don't generate significant revenues on their own. MOST Women's sports and Men's sports outside of FB and BB.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 2 months later...
I assume the announcement is a precursor to an updated schedule, as I assume they'll still try to play 12 games. Really no reason why they couldn't just have everybody play everybody, basically.

I don't know... I wonder if they are thinking that the non-conference games are mostly the first three weeks of the season, and canceling them will give them more time to see how this evolves with kids coming back to school. Obviously UW's game with Indiana is the first weekend of the season, but it could be pushed back to Sept 19th.

A couple thoughts

1. This makes a lot more sense than some people realize. When you keep games in conference the league can mandate a protocol for each team and you know the facilities and abilities of each school to adhere to the guidelines. Some of the smaller schools you play in non-conference simply dont have the same capacity.

2. This might be tipping point. I am still on the fence as to if a season will happen. The Ivy league and junior college systems are cancelling their fall sports season. Some have also pushed all winter sports to starting after January. Could be interesting to see if more basketball players declare for the draft knowing there may not be a season

3. This is a huge loss for the gophers. Instead of 4 cupcakes they might have to play Ohio State and Penn State. They only had Michigan on their schedule of the big 3

Right now the conferences are looking out mainly for themselves (not a knock, just an observation).

To a point I understand but I also wonder practicality. Some conference are VERY spread out so keeping games "in conference" could be a problem in some cases... Nebraska either travels to or hosting Rutgers/ Maryland for example..

While tOSU no longer travels to Oregon early, it also loses an in state opponent in Bowling Green. Florida loses in state opponent in Florida State...

Meanwhile the ACC is trying to assist ND in putting a schedule back together..... Wouldn't it make more sense to keep ND in the Midwest playing a schedule of tOSU, scUM, MSU, Purdue, Indiana, NW, PSU, Minn & Wisc??

Meanwhile the ACC is trying to assist ND in putting a schedule back together..... Wouldn't it make more sense to keep ND in the Midwest playing a schedule of tOSU, scUM, MSU, Purdue, Indiana, NW, PSU, Minn & Wisc??

Living in Minnesota, it took me a bit to figure out that you didn't list the University of Minnesota twice. :laughing

Living in Minnesota, it took me a bit to figure out that you didn't list the University of Minnesota twice. :laughing

ur right I should have used the proper term: Meatchicken.. or Lousy Harbaugh

• 4 weeks later...

The Players Tribune is reporting that a group called College Athlete Unity is making demands of Big Ten schools on their preparedness for Covid, along with some social justice causes. They claim to represent the interest of more than 1,000 football players.

I don't think I can believe that number, since this is the first we have heard of the group, and 1,000 people can't both gather (even remotely) and keep quiet about it. But still, there could be some disruption to teams and schools, depending on how they manage their health and safety initiatives and social stances, and the cohesion of the members of this CAU group.

More to come, as schools react to this story, and as players stand up for their grievances.

The Players Tribune is reporting that a group called College Athlete Unity is making demands of Big Ten schools on their preparedness for Covid, along with some social justice causes. They claim to represent the interest of more than 1,000 football players.

I don't think I can believe that number, since this is the first we have heard of the group, and 1,000 people can't both gather (even remotely) and keep quiet about it. But still, there could be some disruption to teams and schools, depending on how they manage their health and safety initiatives and social stances, and the cohesion of the members of this CAU group.

More to come, as schools react to this story, and as players stand up for their grievances.

I bet if universities threaten to pull the scholarships of those that don't want to play they will change their stance. I'm sure college athletics would love to trim the fat right now.

Archived