Brewer Fanatic

2019 Miscellaneous college football news

LouisEly
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FSU fires Willie Taggert and they still owe him over $20 million. How do you explain that one to your Board?

Pretty simple, just raise tuition and rake in more of that student loan cash.

If you’re the AD - you have to step down, right? I mean I can only imagine the conversation with my boss if I lost $20 million.

FSU fires Willie Taggert and they still owe him over $20 million. How do you explain that one to your Board?

Pretty simple, just raise tuition and rake in more of that student loan cash.

If you’re the AD - you have to step down, right? I mean I can only imagine the conversation with my boss if I lost $20 million.

They fund-raised it. Didn't cost the school anything. Kind of crazy that they can just get $ from Alums.

As much as I know it's been going poorly there, still seems a bit much to fire a guy mid season in year 2. I mean, give the guy a chance. Unless there was just something cancerous going on behind the scenes we're not privy to.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They fund-raised it. Didn't cost the school anything. Kind of crazy that they can just get $ from Alums.

Far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money but me personally I could think of literally 10,000 causes more worthy than big time college sports to donate my money.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wonder if Scott Frost is kicking himself fro going to Nebraska now. I know it's his alma mater and all so I'm sure he's happy to try and fix that. But, moving to FSU from UCF would've been a perfect fit.

Would Fleck jumping from Minny to FSU be too big a move?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

His name has been thrown out there already. He's a self brander marketer so I'm sure it's all coming from his camp. Worst case, he'll be able to parlay this good season into more guaranteed money from MN. Personally, I think FSU should be able to do better than him and a program with their stature shouldn't need to bring in his schtick and brand himself over the program. Another thing, he has no southern or SEC area connections, he's been all midwest. So I think they should be able to do better.

So I guess, yes I do think it's too big of a leap for him. Maybe MSU could make sense this offseason? Also, I think a legit promotion like that for Fleck would need him winning at least 2 of the last 4 regular season games, getting to Indy and at least showing up vs OSU. I'd guess the point spread of MN vs OSU in a dome would be about 28.5.

Speaking of MSU, I saw someone say Dantonio could make sense for FSU after he gets canned at MSU. Logic I'd think being to get an established veteran voice in control.

How about you on Fleck?

Far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money but me personally I could think of literally 10,000 causes more worthy than big time college sports to donate my money.

They have more money than they know what to do with.

• 4 weeks later...
I was looking at the Pac 12 standings with the news of Chris Peterson stepping down. Talk about odd. Only 3 out of 12 teams had winning records within conference play. 9 of the 12 at 4-5 or worse. Hard to believe that could even happen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A former Penn State player has filed a federal lawsuit against Penn State, head coach James Franklin, and another player for violent hazing. The player was allegedly hazed in the shower by another player who allegedly made a reference to Jerry Sandusky(!!!) while doing it, and the player's father - a Penn State alum - allegedly told James Franklin about it and Franklin allegedly ignored his complaint. It is alleged that the coaching staff observed the harassment.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28484451/former-nittany-lions-player-files-federal-lawsuit-james-franklin-penn-state-hazing

If this has any truth to it, Franklin is done. It's one thing to come from some random player, but this came from the son of a former Penn State player who played in the NFL. The player named in the suit was coincidentally suspended for the first game of this past season.

Franklin has always come across as a borderline jock douche - he of the infamous "I won't hire an assistant unless he has a hot wife because it shows he can recruit" quote.

If it’s a single complaint, I doubt it gets any mileage. My guess is the player had a hard time adjusting to college and wanted to force an immediate transfer without looking like a flop. UWGB men’s basketball had a similar incident 7 years ago and it just turned out the kid wasn’t taking his meds. His mother was an enabler.

If he really got ‘Sandusky’d’ - then yes, death penalty.

The issue isn't whether or not there was hazing - if there is, but nobody tells a university employee (coach, other official) and no university employee is aware of it, then the only people who get in trouble are the people who did the hazing.

The issue is whether or not the coaches or other university officials were informed or observed it and did nothing. That can get the university in major trouble.

Very surprised MSU didn't fire Dantonio. He collected a 4.3 mil retention bonus this week. I would've thought with the scandals, team doing badly, and that 4.3 mil being owed it was the perfect time to let him go. I guess not, MSU continues to go down a classy path on turning a blind eye to all this stuff. If interested, you can find similar stuff for the bball program too. For some reason ESPN doesn't put MSU on blast like they have other situations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stunning-report-details-michigan-state-162725953.html

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. In general, I support it, but I'm concerned that it could be abused. For example, a school could over-recruit a class (cough... Alabama... cough.... Ohio State... cough... Kentucky) and say we don't have a scholarship for you this year but we will next year, that kid goes to another school for a year, but then leaves to go to the other school after one year. The school he left probably hadn't recruited to fill that scholarship, and then they're short a scholarship player. Not so impactful in football, but could have a big effect on basketball. You could just gut a basketball team with transfers. I'm also concerned about transferring within the same conference.

I might be more in favor of they can transfer once without sitting out, but a) have to spend at least two years at the first school, b) have to sit out a year if it's to a school in the same conference, and c) the exception to a) and b) is if the school they transfer to is within a certain radius (200 miles?) of what is considered their "home". There might also have to be a limit on the number of kids who could transfer into a school in a year to prevent abuse.

Very surprised MSU didn't fire Dantonio. He collected a 4.3 mil retention bonus this week. I would've thought with the scandals, team doing badly, and that 4.3 mil being owed it was the perfect time to let him go. I guess not, MSU continues to go down a classy path on turning a blind eye to all this stuff. If interested, you can find similar stuff for the bball program too. For some reason ESPN doesn't put MSU on blast like they have other situations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stunning-report-details-michigan-state-162725953.html

D'antoni resigns today. I'm guessing it was all planned. GEt your 4.3 mil and resign. They don't have to 'fire' him and owe the rest of the contract, he doesn't have to deal with PR of being fired. Probably seems like a good compromise overall. Probably would've made sense to wait until after signing day, but maybe they're not in on anybody left so it doesn't matter.

D'antoni resigns today. I'm guessing it was all planned. GEt your 4.3 mil and resign. They don't have to 'fire' him and owe the rest of the contract, he doesn't have to deal with PR of being fired. Probably seems like a good compromise overall. Probably would've made sense to wait until after signing day, but maybe they're not in on anybody left so it doesn't matter.

And like a day before signing day too. Feel bad for those recruits.

Sports radio here reporting he chose to step down rather than be fired.

• 2 months later...

Archived