Brewer Fanatic

Game 4: Eagles @ Packers - Thursday, Sept 26 7:20pm

homer
The product on TV is so good (with DVR), I’m honestly surprised they can find 80,000 people to pay over $100 each game. I doubt people will have a hard time unloading their tickets below face. Even though it’s a Thursday, the weather is decent and the Packers are playing well.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The product on TV is so good (with DVR), I’m honestly surprised they can find 80,000 people to pay over $100 each game. I doubt people will have a hard time unloading their tickets below face. Even though it’s a Thursday, the weather is decent and the Packers are playing well.

I've said this before but I've lost interest in going. The in-person product sucks, without the distraction of getting a drink from your fridge, using your own bathroom or just watching a commercial, the constant stoppages and reviews and discussions of calls make the live product just an agonizing molasses experience. The price hasn't really come down all that much and I just have no desire to drive up there for $100+.

I've said this before but I've lost interest in going. The in-person product sucks, without the distraction of getting a drink from your fridge, using your own bathroom or just watching a commercial, the constant stoppages and reviews and discussions of calls make the live product just an agonizing molasses experience. The price hasn't really come down all that much and I just have no desire to drive up there for $100+.

What really did it for me, when I went from going to nearly every game to selling most of my tickets was when every game, no matter what situation it was, a 4th and 1 with the game on the line, every single time you stand up you feel these hands on your shoulder patting you, telling you to "sit down."

It just drives me nuts. I'm thinking, I don't even want these damn tickets, but I drove 3 hours up to Green Bay, I have to come up with money for 6 tickets when it's not real convenient, and when you go there, you're basically getting people complaining about you standing up.

Sooooo different than Seattle or KC or most stadiums. That's the reason the Packers don't have quite the same home field advantage as Seattle does for example. They've got a younger crowd, they're going nuts, nobody can hear the cadence. In Green Bay, it's so...reserved.

And I've turned around and complained a few times, but it's not the same group of old people every time and now you're yelling at old people anyway saying, "hey, it's 4th and 1 on the Bears 20, I'm gonna stand for a minute," or whatever and they just get huffy.

I don't know, maybe that's a cop out, maybe it's the 3 hour drive home after the game, knowing I'm gonna be a piece of crap the next day and get very little done, all the inconvenience. It's so easy to just sit down and watch the game in HD, pause it when I need to let the dogs out or I start to get nagged about something....order a pizza, have a few beers and sit back put the feet up and relax.

It's just so much better than actually going to the game.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I had the exact same experience at the last game I attended, the 2016 Wild Card against the Giants. It wasn't me, but a group of age 21ish guys standing up and going nuts when the Packers were on defense. A group of old farts behind us kept screaming at them to sit down, and I stayed out of it but they were driving me insane. They kept saying it like they owned the damn place, even dropping a "We've been coming here since before you were born!" line. OK? Great, it's not yours, and you guys suck as fans.

Eventually, I swear I'm not making this up, one old guy GRABS the kid by the hoodie and yanks him backwards, could have seriously hurt him, then THE OLD GUY has the nerve to summon security and complain about the kid standing up. At this point people all start vouching for the kids and security just says he's allowed to stand up. Another guy probably about 40, who was probably 6'7, turns to the old guy and says if he touches the kids again he'll knock him out right there no matter how old he is.

That was pretty much the last straw for me - but I actually agree with your point, that the geezer football purists are really damaging to the atmosphere at Lambeau.

If some standing up bothers you at a football game, it's probably time to watch the games from the den. I prefer that method of viewing personally, but to expect other people not to stand up when the Packers are on defense in a playoff game? I think that's nuts. Most people aren't season ticket holders and paid for the ability to be loud and influence the game as a group. I'm not a very rowdy fan but if the guys in front of me stand up then I just stand up. They're not doing anything wrong.

If some standing up bothers you at a football game, it's probably time to watch the games from the den. I prefer that method of viewing personally, but to expect other people not to stand up when the Packers are on defense in a playoff game? I think that's nuts. Most people aren't season ticket holders and paid for the ability to be loud and influence the game as a group. I'm not a very rowdy fan but if the guys in front of me stand up then I just stand up. They're not doing anything wrong.

That’s pretty much where I’m at. I’m glad people are there making noise when the opponent has the ball, but that scene just isn’t for me anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sooooo different than Seattle or KC or most stadiums. That's the reason the Packers don't have quite the same home field advantage as Seattle does for example. They've got a younger crowd, they're going nuts, nobody can hear the cadence. In Green Bay, it's so...reserved.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that there are more visiting team fans there than there used to be. Tix are too expensive now so people sell a few games and pay off a month of their mortgage.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I’ve go to mow the lawn tonight before the game so I’ll sneak in my pick without the benefit of the injury report.

27-20 Eagles

I don’t care about their record, this is a recent Super Bowl winner and I’m worried about the defense if Za’Darious and Fackrell can’t go. Hope I’m wrong.

Enjoy the game. GPG!

The car salesman where I got my Subaru works security at Lambeau during the games. He said the worst crowd of all was when the Minnesota fans are over.

I went to a Packers game...the year they won back to back games vs Minny 34-31. The one I was at was the game where they were up 31-17 and blew the lead and then Longwell hit a last second FG to win. I get migraines. Too many concussions...I just get them and when I do, I need to take medication and I need to just sit down for a while. So I went to the bathroom, took one of my pills and then sat there for about 25 minutes. Finally, I went back to the game as it started to subside(which I guess means it wasn't a migraine, but it was a bad headache).

While in the bathroom, I could smell someone was smoking in there. Not even getting high, just smoke like cigarette smoke.

I walk out of the stall after puking and just feeling miserable and this fat old guy is standing outside the stall. I don't really think much of it. I walk out, go stand by the garbage and throw away the pill package. They come in like an Imodium type thing. This clown grabs me...he works for CSC....which I used to work in college. He wants to "search me." I blew him off and start walking away. He grabs me and calls the police over. The Cops then search me, which is embarrassing and then despite not having done anything wrong, they throw me out of the game(so I missed the two Vikes TD's and the FG).

So yeah, that was the last season I went to every game I think. Other than that, it's just occasionally. Oh, and they also threatened to take my season tickets away from me. And frankly, I wouldn't even mind. I somehow ended up with them, 6 of them per game, and I've got to come up with like...I don't know, 4K every year.

That's my experience at a Vikings game.

I had the exact same experience at the last game I attended, the 2016 Wild Card against the Giants. It wasn't me, but a group of age 21ish guys standing up and going nuts when the Packers were on defense. A group of old farts behind us kept screaming at them to sit down, and I stayed out of it but they were driving me insane. They kept saying it like they owned the damn place, even dropping a "We've been coming here since before you were born!" line. OK? Great, it's not yours, and you guys suck as fans.

Eventually, I swear I'm not making this up, one old guy GRABS the kid by the hoodie and yanks him backwards, could have seriously hurt him, then THE OLD GUY has the nerve to summon security and complain about the kid standing up. At this point people all start vouching for the kids and security just says he's allowed to stand up. Another guy probably about 40, who was probably 6'7, turns to the old guy and says if he touches the kids again he'll knock him out right there no matter how old he is.

That was pretty much the last straw for me - but I actually agree with your point, that the geezer football purists are really damaging to the atmosphere at Lambeau.

I've never gotten that aggressive....I mean, I do the talk really loud so the people can hear me thing while I sit down. But these people are in their 60's(and this was like 5-6 years ago). And they share the tickets. And we're all respectful...we sit for 85 pct of the game. They are pretty good tickets. About 1/3rd of the way up on about the 40. But yeah, there are a thousand things that make the Packers better than any other franchise. Everyone HAS to go to Lambeau at some point. If I ever start a charity, I'm going to pay for people to get to see a Monday Night Game in Lambeau. It's surreal. Best stadium I've ever been to.

But just a really reserved atmosphere. And you're right, they're too old of a fan base.

These people also knew my Grandma(whom I got the tickets from as everyone else in the family was dumb enough to pass up on them...I was literally like 9th in line, 5 sets of Aunts and Uncles, 4 cousins who are older, all passed) and my Grandpa, so "confronting" them seemed too uncomfortable.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that there are more visiting team fans there than there used to be. Tix are too expensive now so people sell a few games and pay off a month of their mortgage.

I don't think so. Even Bears games, you're only talking about maybe 10 pct, 15 pct of the stadium are Bears fans. Given how Packers fans travel, or how spread out they are, I bet that's right in line with how many Packers fans go to Seattle or KC games. I've been to each once and I never really took inventory of how big of a Packer presence there was at those games, but it was incredible how it was like a College Atmosphere almost. They just all go crazy.

You look at Seattle Sports, they go nuts for any team. The MLS team they sell out, the Sonics...they were great fans. They didn't lose the team because the fan base wasn't involved like Rays fans. They were fanatical. But you see SOO many fewer older people.

I'd guess the average age of a Packer fan AT Lambeau is 55-60 years old. The average age of a Seahawks fan is probably 40 years old...and you can't hear yourself think during the game. It's really nuts. You don't hear about teams having to practice the silent snap when coming into GB....DESPITE the fact that they actually built the stadium(or at least the last two parts of the renovation so it'd be louder).

I guess it shouldn't bother me since I can't even be bothered to go to most games anymore. I just give the tickets to an uncle and ask them to pay me after the games and I usually get about 80 pct of the money back.

There was this guy on the Milwaukee area news a few weeks ago who put out a ad saying he was willing to buy season tickets for at least 10K and he would even go through the whole ordeal of having to marry someone, guy or women(because otherwise you can't just give the tickets away to the highest bidder, it has to e family).

It's moments like this where I would support some sort of targeting in the NFL. Can that player be ejected? I wanna say it's possible but can't remember.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Vitale(?) Now the backup running back since Dexter isn't active? Man what great touch Aaron had on that pass.

Yeah ... I never understood keeping only two HB active on gameday. It's such a high injury position. Packers are one Jones nick away from having Vitale and Shephard taking handoffs

Archived