Brewer Fanatic

Resigning Grandal & Moose

pacopete4

Since it is being dragged in other threads, this might be a good idea.

My two cents is that Grandal might have priced himself out of our option year as he is the best hitting catcher in the league.

Moose, on the other hand, is good but not great. He probably isn't a top 10 3B in the game so he might take the option year and come back for another year of Miller Park.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put the chances of Moustakas taking $8mil before testing the market pretty darn close to zero percent. There is just such little risk for him testing the market. Not that I think he is going to get some mega 3 year deal, but it is worth a shot for him to go out there and see if he can secure multiple years or more per year.

Grandal will definitely test the market.

With Shaw falling apart I don't think they have a choice but to do their best on Moustakas. Maybe start the discussion before he options out and get a 2-3 year reasonable deal done. By reasonable, no I don't mean 45 mil for 3 years. Some kind of middle ground between the 1 year deals he's taken and that. So he gets some stability but we don't have to pay a high AAV.

A month or so ago I was thinking there was a possibility the mutual option for Moose actually is exercised by both sides. I still think it's possible, but there is minimal risk for Moose to decline and moderate upside. If the Brewers could re-sign him for a slightly lower AAV over 2 years that would make sense.

Grandal will certainly test the market. I'm not certain he'll get 3 guaranteed years, but 2 years around $36 makes some sense. I'm not sure what the Brewers appetite will be to commit that to him, but he's worth it. He was worth it last season too on a 3 year deal at $18 AAV.

I want both back, but I'm not counting on both. I'd guess Grandal gets a better offer elsewhere and Moustakas re-signs with the Brewers.

I think both players will have multiple teams that want them.

The bottom line is this: Do they want to stay with the Brewers and possibly take a little less than they might get on the open market? I'm not talking about deep hometown discounts, I'm talking about accepting our offers that are near what other teams are offering. Do they like it here enough to go that route?

I want them both back, it will suck seeing our roster next season without them if Cain continues to regress, and Arcia just never figures things out. If we don't sign Moose, is DS content with the possibility of Shaw getting right? Talk about a risk.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The bottom line is this: Do they want to stay with the Brewers and possibly take a little less than they might get on the open market? I'm not talking about deep hometown discounts, I'm talking about accepting our offers that are near what other teams are offering. Do they like it here enough to go that route?

I want them both back, it will suck seeing our roster next season without them if Cain continues to regress, and Arcia just never figures things out. If we don't sign Moose, is DS content with the possibility of Shaw getting right? Talk about a risk.

I always hate it when people talk about players “wanting to stay”. They play for money so whomever offers the most money usually gets the player. Just today, Yelich said he’d like to be a Brewer forever, but “the business side has to work out” ie the money has to be right.

Pro ball players are a fraternity and when you’re a 1%er living in the lap of luxury the members of the fraternity you go to work with and the city you work in 90 days a year are less important than the money.

Grandal could improve at least a half dozen clubs with aims of contending in 2020. It will be tough winning a bidding war for him. I can picture Moustakas coming back but whomever loses out on Josh Donaldson would surely engage Moustakas as a fall back option

I always hate it when people talk about players “wanting to stay”. They play for money so whomever offers the most money usually gets the player. Just today, Yelich said he’d like to be a Brewer forever, but “the business side has to work out” ie the money has to be right.

Pro ball players are a fraternity and when you’re a 1%er living in the lap of luxury the members of the fraternity you go to work with and the city you work in 90 days a year are less important than the money.

Grandal could improve at least a half dozen clubs with aims of contending in 2020. It will be tough winning a bidding war for him. I can picture Moustakas coming back but whomever loses out on Josh Donaldson would surely engage Moustakas as a fall back option

Grandal had at least one multi-year deal on the table but chose Milwaukee. It doesn't ALWAYS just come down to the dollars although I agree that often it does.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Moose is getting up there in years, probably best for him to take the option money and get a multi year deal with somebody so don't really think there is any way the option is exercised. However since 3B would be a huge question mark, the Brewers offering a multi year deal may be best for both.

Grandal had at least one multi-year deal on the table but chose Milwaukee. It doesn't ALWAYS just come down to the dollars although I agree that often it does.

Could have been a garbage deal...say 3/$30mil or so. When he declines the option he pretty much made $18mil in a single year.

Could have been a garbage deal...say 3/$30mil or so. When he declines the option he pretty much made $18mil in a single year.

Possibly. Doubt it, but possibly. Either way, it's still more money than he's making for the Brewers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I believe Grandal had a 4-year, $60M offer from the Mets. Perhaps I’m remembering that incorrectly. But he made a big deal out of annual value - and how none of the other deals reached the $18M+ that he believed he was worth.

Getting rid of the attached draft compensation should help do that for him this offseason. I’m guessing he gets $18-20M on 3-4 years. Not a huge jump on this year’s pay, but with the added security.

I believe Grandal had a 4-year, $60M offer from the Mets. Perhaps I’m remembering that incorrectly. But he made a big deal out of annual value - and how none of the other deals reached the $18M+ that he believed he was worth.

Getting rid of the attached draft compensation should help do that for him this offseason. I’m guessing he gets $18-20M on 3-4 years. Not a huge jump on this year’s pay, but with the added security.

I wouldn't mind offering Grandal a 3 year $57M contract ($19M AAV). Grandal is a very good leadoff hitter and catcher.

Grandal will be 31 next year. I think we either get him for 1 or we thank him for his services.

Grandal will be 31 next year. I think we either get him for 1 or we thank him for his services.

Yah, I would rather not be asking for an albatross contract. I’d go two years depending on the price...but no thanks on 3+. Grandal could go from AS catcher to average real real fast.

I'd be willing to go 2 years for Grandal and 3 for Moose. More than that would not be finacially wise for the future.

Last thing I want to do is shed Braun's contract and add another couple contracts that we will wish we hadn't done.

(Not really a rip on Braun, I don't think his contract has really hurt us much at all, at least he is still producing. Something that can't be said about a guy like Votto.)

Paying a middle of the road 3B good money might not be a good idea. Moose is a nice player for us but is he really worth a bigger, longer contract? I'm not sure about that.

Paying a middle of the road 3B good money might not be a good idea. Moose is a nice player for us but is he really worth a bigger, longer contract? I'm not sure about that.

1 - 2 years, yes for sure, the 3rd year might not be the best plan, but that is what it might take to wrap him up.

I get what you are saying though.

All depends on the cash involved..

I don't think it's always money by any stretch. A lot of guys really don't want to lose. In baseball specifically, that can be a pretty brutal existence, relatively speaking. When you're 10 games under .500 in May, I don't care how much they make, that has to suck for a pro athlete. Especially in a sport where you play every day. They make more than a living wage anywhere they play, so I think the intangibles matter more than most people think.

If you look up the articles from when Grandal signed with the Brewers. He took the one year deal because of the average annual value was in line with what the top earners at catcher are paid. You are correct, Grandal's deal wasn't the most overall money he could have received, but his contract with Milwaukee was the most money per season that he was offered.

In so far as resigning Grandal and Moustakas, they kind of have to resign one of them (if not both) or they'll have some pretty big holes in their lineup going forward. 62 Homers, 55 doubles, 162 walks, 162 RBI, 158 Runs scored. There isn't anyone on their 40 man roster that they can conceivably plug in and get that level of production from.

Hiura will be there for a full season. That is some of the production (hopefully). There may be trades that could be had. I don't think it is simply sign them or there will be black holes.

Archived