Brewer Fanatic

Gerrit Cole

Following last night’s World Series game 7 Gerrit Cole wore a Boras Corporation hat...

gerrit-cole-boras-corp.jpg

...and was reportedly initially hesitant to speak to the media following the game telling a team employee, “I’m not an employee of the team.”

Just before he started talking with the media Cole stated, “I’m doing this interview as a representative of myself I guess.”

I know free agency doesn’t start for 5 more days, but I think Gerrit Cole signing season is officially open to highest bidder.

Wow, after seeing that, I'm guessing we won't see him resigning with the Astros.

Oh its possible (IF the Astros are the highest bidder). Just nobody sees that as likely.

Arte Moreno of the Angels has reserved multiple Brinks Trucks for this occasion...

Going back to Cali...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of a dick, isn't he...

That was my thought too. Pulling that crap minutes after your team lost Game 7 of the World Series? Really dude? To me, he solidified that the only team he really cares about is his bank account.

I know all these guys play for money, but most of them at least have a little tact.

That was my thought too. Pulling that crap minutes after your team lost Game 7 of the World Series? Really dude? To me, he solidified that the only team he really cares about is his bank account.

I know all these guys play for money, but most of them at least have a little tact.

Yeah - wow, that's crazy. I know he's immensely talented (and any team would love to have him anchoring their rotation), but that really comes across as a very me-first attitude. Not sure if I'd want to have that on my team?

With that said - I could absolutely see the Angels breaking the bank for this guy. They need to start capitalizing on Trout's peak years here, and they desperately need SP. And let's face it - they aren't afraid to ever give out crazy big contracts, that they'll end up regretting a few years later.

He helped lead his team to a World Series appearance and was unworldly good this year. Not to mention quite incredible this postseason to boot.

I don't want just him, could I get like 4 more too?

His comments came after the Astros failed to use one of the best pitcher in the game in the biggest spot possible. Emotions were probably high and he was probably quite upset...pretty understandable.

He helped lead his team to a World Series appearance and was unworldly good this year. Not to mention quite incredible this postseason to boot.

I don't want just him, could I get like 4 more too?

His comments came after the Astros failed to use one of the best pitcher in the game in the biggest spot possible. Emotions were probably high and he was probably quite upset...pretty understandable.

Putting on Boras Corp hat and saying that you no longer represent the team you just put your heart and soul into is a really odd way of showing that, in my opinion. If that was a contrived move (and the fact that he had a Boras Corp baseball cap in his locker kinda points to that), it was a backfire.

I mean heck yeah, I'd love that talent leading the Brewers' rotation. But I can't help but question his character.

I would be pissed if I was him too. No reason not to turn to him last night. No reason to pull Greinke either. But yeah, he will be seeing some $$ signs this offseason.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wonder if part of it is because he was embarrassed in a way to play for an organization that traded for Osuna and everything else that has transpired after the ALCS. There might be a lot of players who don’t want to don an Astros uniform anymore, but they aren’t going to make an issue about it while playing in the World Series. Plus he was most likely frustrated that he wasn’t brought in to replace Greinke once he was removed from the game. But I think there could be a lot of behind the scenes stuff that led to Cole acting this way.

I wonder if part of it is because he was embarrassed in a way to play for an organization that traded for Osuna and everything else that has transpired after the ALCS. There might be a lot of players who don’t want to don an Astros uniform anymore, but they aren’t going to make an issue about it while playing in the World Series. Plus he was most likely frustrated that he wasn’t brought in to replace Greinke once he was removed from the game. But I think there could be a lot of behind the scenes stuff that led to Cole acting this way.

And, maybe this all played a role in why he did what the did last night after the game, but I still think you take the "high road" in that situation, and be a "team guy" for one last interview session. Just seems really selfish to basically say that you are no longer a member of the team, just minutes after the WS ended. I get that emotions are very high in that moment, but a true professional would have handled them a bit better than this. Just my opinion.

And, maybe this all played a role in why he did what the did last night after the game, but I still think you take the "high road" in that situation, and be a "team guy" for one last interview session. Just seems really selfish to basically say that you are no longer a member of the team, just minutes after the WS ended. I get that emotions are very high in that moment, but a true professional would have handled them a bit better than this. Just my opinion.

I'm going to guess this was premeditated win or lose by his agent...he wouldn't have had that stupid hat in his locker had it not been.

I look forward to Cole waiting until late march of next year to sign a deal, simply because I expect his and Boras' demands to be insane (even if he truly is a great starting pitcher)

I'm going to guess this was premeditated win or lose by his agent...he wouldn't have had that stupid hat in his locker had it not been.

I look forward to Cole waiting until late march of next year to sign a deal, simply because I expect his and Boras' demands to be insane (even if he truly is a great starting pitcher)

Normally I might agree with you that this could drag out into the late winter months, but something tells me that there is going to be a team (i.e. Angels) that is going to target Cole from the get-go this year and give him some ridiculous offer to get him locked in early this winter. Similar to what happened with Corbin last winter - but on a much larger scale. And as already mentioned, that fits the Angels M.O. perfectly. I'm going to guess that he either signs at the winter meetings in December or shortly thereafter (but before Christmas).

Community Moderator

I also tend to think there is something behind the scenes that Cole is very unhappy about. I'm sure we will find out. That was a planned protest and it makes me wonder what he would have done if they won???

Everyone calling him a dick for doing this, the Astros have pretty much implied they won't be trying to bring him back next year unless he's taking a discount. So I don't get your point of view at all. He's probably already annoyed with the organization's approach to his impending FA, and after getting warm in the bullpen and then not being used in a Game 7 loss at home, I'm sure he wasn't feeling any better about the org after the game.

Everyone calling him a dick for doing this, the Astros have pretty much implied they won't be trying to bring him back next year unless he's taking a discount. So I don't get your point of view at all. He's probably already annoyed with the organization's approach to his impending FA, and after getting warm in the bullpen and then not being used in a Game 7 loss at home, I'm sure he wasn't feeling any better about the org after the game.

Ok, I'll give you all that, but have some class man.. The hat and the comments, no thanks. Dick move.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He can be mad that he wasn't used in game 7, fine. If he's got a Boras corp hat in his locker, he had this planned before the game, and he's telling his 24 teammates that his mind during game 7 was somewhere else, in part, or in whole. Is that the guy you want out there with the whole enchilada on the line?

Yeah, normally stuff like this doesn't trip my radar, but it's at least a little bit of a dick move.

He's got a roomful of devastated teammates and he pulls that stuff? Just horribly poor form. Self apart from (above?) team, and all the more advertising overt greed.

I'm so sick of how Boras preys on & brainwashes his clients with promises of incredible dollar signs. Yes, it's a business, but that business is a TEAM game at its core.

I'd be thrilled to have Cole the SP and I'd very likely open up multiple Brinks trucks to get him. However, I'm rather put off by what this suggests about Cole the person.

Greinke was known to be a different sort of guy but he was still very much about his team -- just not in the same obvious way as so many other players. Heck, I'd still take Greinke even at this age. That guy is still an upper-end SP.

Normally I might agree with you that this could drag out into the late winter months, but something tells me that there is going to be a team (i.e. Angels) that is going to target Cole from the get-go this year and give him some ridiculous offer to get him locked in early this winter. Similar to what happened with Corbin last winter - but on a much larger scale. And as already mentioned, that fits the Angels M.O. perfectly. I'm going to guess that he either signs at the winter meetings in December or shortly thereafter (but before Christmas).

To add to that, sometimes you need to overpay that first big fish to get some other fish to follow. Bringing in someone such as Cole early might get some other guys to think they have a chance at a World Series there without having to deal with the NY media circus or crappy weather in Boston/Chicago.

To add to that, sometimes you need to overpay that first big fish to get some other fish to follow. Bringing in someone such as Cole early might get some other guys to think they have a chance at a World Series there without having to deal with the NY media circus or crappy weather in Boston/Chicago.

That's all true, but when Boras floats out an initial offer demand of like 8 years, $400M, there arent going to be any takers, including the LA clubs...then we get to hear all about prestige and how mlb owners are misers again for about 5 months until Cole finally signs for a market value contract.

I think he was pissed he wasn't put into the game when Greinke was still up 2-1 and put a guy on base. He could have come in and possibly won the World Series right before FA.

I don't have a problem with the hat or comments. All's fair. These orgs don't give a crap about these guys. His teammates are big boys. They can handle it.

I think he was pissed he wasn't put into the game when Greinke was still up 2-1 and put a guy on base. He could have come in and possibly won the World Series right before FA.

I don't have a problem with the hat or comments. All's fair. These orgs don't give a crap about these guys. His teammates are big boys. They can handle it.

Ha....so true. Half the time teams are treating players like trash and intentionally being worse in a given year just to get an extra year of control/avoid Super 2.

It is really a non issue. If it was someone in the Houston organization would have came out by now to say something about his comments. The biggest douche move in this case (and all similar ones) is the reporter who has to ask him about free agency 10 minutes after losing Game 7 of the World Series.

He can be mad that he wasn't used in game 7, fine. If he's got a Boras corp hat in his locker, he had this planned before the game, and he's telling his 24 teammates that his mind during game 7 was somewhere else, in part, or in whole. Is that the guy you want out there with the whole enchilada on the line?

Yeah, normally stuff like this doesn't trip my radar, but it's at least a little bit of a dick move.

Don't undersell him. This was a big dick move.

Ha....so true. Half the time teams are treating players like trash and intentionally being worse in a given year just to get an extra year of control/avoid Super 2.

It is really a non issue. If it was someone in the Houston organization would have came out by now to say something about his comments. The biggest douche move in this case (and all similar ones) is the reporter who has to ask him about free agency 10 minutes after losing Game 7 of the World Series.

^^ This, and the bolded part especially big time! Reporters/announcers seem to make some poor choices in terms of what angles they take or look to take.... While the Cole/FA storyline is obviously there, it really should be only a subtext, not a primary focus at all. It was an absurd, tasteless, and irresponsible question to ask, just as it was equally annoying to listen to the TV announcers talk throughout Game 5 about how it may be Cole's last outing in an Astros uniform, his last inning as an Astro, his last pitch as an Astro, and on and on and on.

I don't think Cole handled some of his choices in that interview terribly well at all -- I still feel how I noted earlier about what his choices may indicate about his character -- but this really should be all about the Nationals winning & the Astros losing the World Series -- all about THAT moment -- not talkin' Hot Stove and about who's about to become a FA, for goodness' sake! Losing the WS is a really tough thing, and all the more so in Game 7 -- a pretty raw, emotional moment. Let the moment be about that.

Maybe he was upset about them not using him when he wanted to pitch and got warmed up. You can't be as good at something as Cole is without loving what you're doing.

I don't think the Astro's bring him back with all their young position players just starting to get more expensive. They certainly could...but it'll probably cost them a Springer or Correa.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived