Brewer Fanatic

Gerrit Cole

What about the other Cole.... Cole Hamels?

His overall numbers for his time with the Cubs are really good: 218IP, 217K, WHIP of 1.28, FIP of 3.86, these numbers even account for after he came back from a strained oblique and pitched poorly. 36 years old at the start of 2020, could be had on a two year deal. Would add veteran presence to a young rotation.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure why you are pushing Grandal as a lead-off hitter. Yes, he gets his walks, but can be used better in the middle of the line-up imo.

Well, in a "defense doesn't matter" line-up that I'd like to see, but which I know we'd never see for Opening Day 2020 against the C*bs...

lf: Grisham

2b: Hiura

rf: Yelich

c: Grandal

ss: Moustakas

3b: Braun

1b: Thames

cf: Cain

p: Woodruff

Find the hole in THAT lineup.

His overall numbers for his time with the Cubs are really good: 218IP, 217K, WHIP of 1.28, FIP of 3.86, these numbers even account for after he came back from a strained oblique and pitched poorly. 36 years old at the start of 2020, could be had on a two year deal. Would add veteran presence to a young rotation.

Hamels made over $20M last year and I doubt Stearns wants any part of that type money.

Hamels made over $20M last year and I doubt Stearns wants any part of that type money.

Yeah... hard pass.

Rather have Gio for two years, $10 million TOTAL.

Plus there's Suter, I'd be more inclined to go with Cam Roegner, coming off an injury-marred season than Cole Hamels.

Yeah... hard pass.

Plus there's Suter, I'd be more inclined to go with Cam Roegner, coming off an injury-marred season than Cole Hamels.

I don't think Roegner is anywhere close to MLB ready. He was very mediocre at AA last year and needs to prove something at AAA. IMO Stearns offers Gio 2yrs. $5-6M total. He's a 3-4 inning pitcher and not worth much more at this stage in his career. However, I'd still like to see the Brewers re-sign him for insurance purposes.

Not sure why you are pushing Grandal as a lead-off hitter. Yes, he gets his walks, but can be used better in the middle of the line-up imo.

Well, in a "defense doesn't matter" line-up that I'd like to see, but which I know we'd never see for Opening Day 2020 against the C*bs...

lf: Grisham

2b: Hiura

rf: Yelich

c: Grandal

ss: Moustakas

3b: Braun

1b: Thames

cf: Cain

p: Woodruff

Find the hole in THAT lineup.

I think the overly obvious hole is the infield defense. Probably the worst defensive INF. in modern history. To me Grisham still has to prove he's an every day player, much less a lead-off hitter. Taylor would deserve a good look too.

Just because he was on the last year of a deal he signed in 2012 does NOT mean he's going to get 20 million at 36 years old.

The Rangers had to send the Cubs money to deal Hamels and they didn't get a whole lot back.

Since when do we look back at what a player made to guess what he may cost in free agency? I'm not understanding this logic at all. Does anyone think that Arrieta gets 20 million next year? Or Porcello gets 20+ million?

There are more good FA pitchers this year than there's been in a while. If the Brewers can't get a TOR arm, they can look at someone like Odorizzi and a low risk signing. I don't know if Pineada is eligible to sign before his suspension is up, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers try to grab him on a low risk deal. He'd likely miss the first two months, so by then you'd know what Burnes and some of the other starters look like.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Yeah... hard pass.

What exactly is the Brewers goals here? To hope to catch lightening in a bottle again next Sept after floundering around .500 or so again? Maybe Counsell will be able to pull it off a 3rd straight year. I'd rather not count on it though. Counting on Cam Roegner is just about the worst case scenario. He's 26 and he's done nothing at the AA level or above and now you'd rather roll with him than with Cole Hamels even in a hypothetical discussion? I get saying that about Burnes. He's got dominant stuff. I even get it with Suter. He's been a decent starter for us. Supak is pushing it for me, but Roegner?

The Brewers have an MVP caliber player, a couple reliable bats and what should be a very good BP next year. We can't afford to "count," on a non-prospect like Cam Roegner. We're not rebuilding. We're trying to win. I respect that you have an affinity for older minor league players who don't have great tools, but produce well, but he hasn't even done that at a high level. And I don't even know what to say about Ryan Braun at 3rd base. We're talking about a guy who was absolutely miserable there 13 years ago. Do you somehow believe with age and chronic back, leg and wrist issues, he's mastered the craft?

There are some concessions the Brewers have to make. There always are. Maybe they have to hope Shaw can bounce back next year. Maybe they have to hope that Peralta can become a starter. Maybe they have to go with Pina at catcher instead of Grandal. Playing Ryan Braun at 3rd is not one of them. Especially now if we're proposing going with pitchers who don't have the ability to get swing and misses. It's the absolute worst of both worlds.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

What exactly is the Brewers goals here? To hope to catch lightening in a bottle again next Sept after floundering around .500 or so again? Maybe Counsell will be able to pull it off a 3rd straight year. I'd rather not count on it though. Counting on Cam Roegner is just about the worst case scenario. He's 26 and he's done nothing at the AA level or above and now you'd rather roll with him than with Cole Hamels even in a hypothetical discussion? I get saying that about Burnes. He's got dominant stuff. I even get it with Suter. He's been a decent starter for us. Supak is pushing it for me, but Roegner?

The Brewers have an MVP caliber player, a couple reliable bats and what should be a very good BP next year. We can't afford to "count," on a non-prospect like Cam Roegner. We're not rebuilding. We're trying to win. I respect that you have an affinity for older minor league players who don't have great tools, but produce well, but he hasn't even done that at a high level. And I don't even know what to say about Ryan Braun at 3rd base. We're talking about a guy who was absolutely miserable there 13 years ago. Do you somehow believe with age and chronic back, leg and wrist issues, he's mastered the craft?

There are some concessions the Brewers have to make. There always are. Maybe they have to hope Shaw can bounce back next year. Maybe they have to hope that Peralta can become a starter. Maybe they have to go with Pina at catcher instead of Grandal. Playing Ryan Braun at 3rd is not one of them. Especially now if we're proposing going with pitchers who don't have the ability to get swing and misses. It's the absolute worst of both worlds.

So far, they have.

And to be honest, at this point, at 36, Hamels is as likely to fall off a cliff production-wise as to be a solid piece of the rotation.

So, if it is a choice between signing Hamels or using the cash to sweeten the pot to keep Grandal, I keep Grandal. My concession is I bank on a Roegner or a Supak or rush up Bettinger or File.

There might be pitchers I bank on with a one-year deal with a team option. Bumgarner might be one. Maybe I bring back Lyles and Gio - on cheaper deals. Or maybe, just maybe, I look overseas to NPB or KBO to find someone.

From Thursday night, Cole had his record of 73 consecutive innings with a strikeout snapped. Here is the leaderboard since the start of the expansion era (1961)...

EGjxEB7WkAIDMqm?format=png&name=small

I think it’s safe to say Gerrit Cole is about to get paid.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Gerrit Cole will likely be a Yankee or Dodger

Sadly, I agree, however, I think there is a chance the Astros keep him.

Please, please, don't let him go to the Cubs or Cardinals.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Unless his arm is about to blow up. Then the Cubs and Cards can sign him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't recall if I mentioned in here or not but don't sleep on Angels with Cole either. He's from that area of LA and grew up a fan, they have to try to win with Trout, Pujols money only has I think 2 years left. Their weakness is pitching, add in Cole and Ohtani next year and that's a huge improvement on that end.

Dodgers though do have a bunch of dead money falling off this year, I think, don't hold me to that. And I think managed to get under the Tax this year to reset. So I'd expect a bidding war on Cole.

But I'd still pick Houston to re-sign if I had to choose. They're a huge city too and currently only have to pay one of their position player studs real money in Altuve. They should be able to pony up the money to keep this going. If they were concerned on money they shouldn't have gotten Greinke and devoted that money to resigning Cole.

Gerrit Cole will likely be a Yankee or Dodger

Sadly, I agree, however, I think there is a chance the Astros keep him.

Please, please, don't let him go to the Cubs or Cardinals.

Lol, I don't think either team has the payroll to afford Cole. When is the last time a guy won the Cy young in his walk year in his late 20s? You can look at Verlander, Degrom, and Sale extensions...and assume Cole is going to do better in both years and AAV than all of them. My guess is 6/200 for Cole.

I don't recall if I mentioned in here or not but don't sleep on Angels with Cole either. He's from that area of LA and grew up a fan, they have to try to win with Trout, Pujols money only has I think 2 years left. Their weakness is pitching, add in Cole and Ohtani next year and that's a huge improvement on that end.

Dodgers though do have a bunch of dead money falling off this year, I think, don't hold me to that. And I think managed to get under the Tax this year to reset. So I'd expect a bidding war on Cole.

But I'd still pick Houston to re-sign if I had to choose. They're a huge city too and currently only have to pay one of their position player studs real money in Altuve. They should be able to pony up the money to keep this going. If they were concerned on money they shouldn't have gotten Greinke and devoted that money to resigning Cole.

If you add the Angels, you have to add the Mets as well. The Mets have DeGrom and Thor... and Cole would make a nice upgrade over Wheeler. The Mets also get out from under the Lagares and Frazier contracts this offseason. That combines for about $24 million. They get out from under the Lowrie and Cespedes deals at the end of 2020.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/new-york-mets-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Gerrit Cole joining DeGrom and Thor lets the Mets match the Nationals rotation - or even exceed it if Strasburg opts out.

If you add the Angels, you have to add the Mets as well. The Mets have DeGrom and Thor... and Cole would make a nice upgrade over Wheeler. The Mets also get out from under the Lagares and Frazier contracts this offseason. That combines for about $24 million. They get out from under the Lowrie and Cespedes deals at the end of 2020.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/new-york-mets-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Gerrit Cole joining DeGrom and Thor lets the Mets match the Nationals rotation - or even exceed it if Strasburg opts out.

I don't think it happens, but wow that would be an incredibly terrifying rotation. I can't think of a better rotation in recent memory. Maybe the Hamels, Lee, Halladay, and Oswalt from the Phillies comes close.

I don't think it happens, but wow that would be an incredibly terrifying rotation. I can't think of a better rotation in recent memory. Maybe the Hamels, Lee, Halladay, and Oswalt from the Phillies comes close.

We only saw it for half a season and Greinke has been iffy (but he's the Thor match, who is also up-and-down), but what about the current Astros rotation?

We only saw it for half a season and Greinke has been iffy (but he's the Thor match, who is also up-and-down), but what about the current Astros rotation?

It's probably the next best example. Miley/Greinke probably aren't quite as good as any of the 4 phillies or Thor/Stroman. It's generally close but not quite as good. Cole/Verlander are probably comparable and maybe slightly better than Halladay/Lee. Regardless...another good example.

And somehow that Phils team didn't win a WS with all those guys. The year they won they only had Hamels. Then added all those other guys in Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and didn't win another. Not unlike the Nats and Dodgers of the last 7ish years.

From what Mets blogs have been saying they are looking for outfield help more than SP. They may re-sign Wheeler if the price doesn't get too blown up and look to FA for outfielders. They also have a couple of power arms coming up to go along with Thor and DeGrom.

• 3 weeks later...

Following last night’s World Series game 7 Gerrit Cole wore a Boras Corporation hat...

gerrit-cole-boras-corp.jpg

...and was reportedly initially hesitant to speak to the media following the game telling a team employee, “I’m not an employee of the team.”

Just before he started talking with the media Cole stated, “I’m doing this interview as a representative of myself I guess.”

I know free agency doesn’t start for 5 more days, but I think Gerrit Cole signing season is officially open to highest bidder.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Following last night’s World Series game 7 Gerrit Cole wore a Boras Corporation hat...

gerrit-cole-boras-corp.jpg

...and was reportedly initially hesitant to speak to the media following the game telling a team employee, “I’m not an employee of the team.”

Just before he started talking with the media Cole stated, “I’m doing this interview as a representative of myself I guess.”

I know free agency doesn’t start for 5 more days, but I think Gerrit Cole signing season is officially open to highest bidder.

Wow, after seeing that, I'm guessing we won't see him resigning with the Astros.

Archived