Brewer Fanatic

Gerrit Cole

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, this doesn't need to be popping up in every other thread.

I'll add that I think there's less than a 1% chance the Brewers will seriously pursue Cole. I'm sure they'll do their due diligence, but this isn't in the Brewers wheelhouse, financially.

Fair assessment on this. It just doesn’t add up for the Brewers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Instead of getting Cole, I'd much rather use the payroll to retain Moustakas and Grandal, they have been fantastic for the Brewers.

Regardless, they must finally realize that they need to add pitching. Cole isn't feasible- but many of the second tier guys are. I get that we all have non-dry dreams about pitchers like Cole, but it simply won't happen for this market. Unless some one explains to Mark A about all those 100's of millions in profit he's hoarding...

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

I think the Brewers will do their due diligence on him, but won’t end up getting him. I think we could be surprised and see the Brewers make a legit run at landing him, but somebody else will give him more than what the Brewers will offer. I think he will get something along the lines of 7/$210 million. I could see the Brewers being a player for him and would personally feel comfortable in the neighborhood of 6/$160 million for him, but I don’t think that will get it done.

If I had to pick between Cole and Rendon though, I would love to add Rendon. Pair him with Yelich, Hiura, Grisham, Braun, Cain, and Thames and there would be a very nice balance of lefties and righties up and down the lineup.

I think the Brewers will do their due diligence on him, but won’t end up getting him. I think we could be surprised and see the Brewers make a legit run at landing him, but somebody else will give him more than what the Brewers will offer. I think he will get something along the lines of 7/$210 million. I could see the Brewers being a player for him and would personally feel comfortable in the neighborhood of 6/$160 million for him, but I don’t think that will get it done.

If I had to pick between Cole and Rendon though, I would love to add Rendon. Pair him with Yelich, Hiura, Grisham, Braun, Cain, and Thames and there would be a very nice balance of lefties and righties up and down the lineup.

Rendon is probably a better fit than Moustakas going forward but I believe a Rendon signing would take up the majority of the Brewers off season budget and they won't be able to add a starting pitcher and at least one relief pitcher. I would rather go Odorizzi, Swarzak/Betances and Moustakas as I believe that brings in more value than just signing Rendon. If the Brewers wanted to push the budget a bit further they could go Odorizzi, Wheeler, Swarzak/Betances and Moustakas. Adding both Odorizzi and Wheeler would be a nice top of the rotation with Woodruff and that leaves only the #4 spot which Davies could occupy and then the #5 spot which you have Burnes, Peralta, Brown, Lyles, Anderson and others to fill.

I just don't see Rendon or Cole as being options for the Brewers. Rendon I see going to the White Sox and Cole going to the Yankees.

I'm guessing Cole gets 7-years and $245M. That's $35M annually. Houston or the Yankees will sign him. Darkhorse is SF.

This is all assuming Cole hits the open market.

I think there is a very strong suitor for Cole in the LA Angels..

Apparently he grew up 10 minutes from their park and as a huge Angels fan..

I'm guessing Cole gets 7-years and $245M. That's $35M annually. Houston or the Yankees will sign him. Darkhorse is SF.

That would be such an Angels move too. He makes them better but not significantly and signing Cole would mean he, Pujols, and Trout are making about $100 million a season between them. Add in Justin Upton and that's about $125M for 4 players. That's about the Brewers whole payroll this year. Good luck putting together a halfway decent team with the budget space you have left without a top flight minor league system.

But with the new TV money, and saving up in all of our losing seasons, and so many people coming to our games, and beer sales, annnd.... oh forget it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That would be such an Angels move too. He makes them better but not significantly and signing Cole would mean he, Pujols, and Trout are making about $100 million a season between them. Add in Justin Upton and that's about $125M for 4 players. That's about the Brewers whole payroll this year. Good luck putting together a halfway decent team with the budget space you have left without a top flight minor league system.

They've kinda done this every year but it is becoming more and more imperative.

Before Trout signed the extension it was, "well, who knows if Trout is here in 2021, I know that we're overpaying _____ but let's just do it because this is our chance to win with Trout given our farm system isn't going to support him anytime soon."

Now that they have him, though, his extreme prime will be over soon and actually adding an ace pitcher could make sense. Their minors system is OK but obviously still the reason they're struggling.

All of that said, other than Upton, their big/bad contracts are clearing soon. Simmons is potentially worth the $ but he's gone after 2020. Cozart's dead $ is gone after 2020. Pujols is gone after 2021 and maybe he retires since he is likely already in his mid 40s.

Yeah, they may be starting another stretch of bad contracts if Trout begins to regress in 2022-2023 and Cole fades as well, but I actually think if they can make this signing, they should. Don't go overboard outside of this but they still will have a reasonable payroll going forward. Top-heavy so they're going to have to pray that their farm system improves. There isn't much other of a way to do it other than trading Trout.

Rendon is probably a better fit than Moustakas going forward but I believe a Rendon signing would take up the majority of the Brewers off season budget and they won't be able to add a starting pitcher and at least one relief pitcher. I would rather go Odorizzi, Swarzak/Betances and Moustakas as I believe that brings in more value than just signing Rendon. If the Brewers wanted to push the budget a bit further they could go Odorizzi, Wheeler, Swarzak/Betances and Moustakas. Adding both Odorizzi and Wheeler would be a nice top of the rotation with Woodruff and that leaves only the #4 spot which Davies could occupy and then the #5 spot which you have Burnes, Peralta, Brown, Lyles, Anderson and others to fill.

I just don't see Rendon or Cole as being options for the Brewers. Rendon I see going to the White Sox and Cole going to the Yankees.

I would like to see Stearns look to add Lance Lynn. Davies, Shaw, and Supak should be more than enough to get him. Woodruff, Lynn, Lyles, Houser, Nelson, Gio, Anderson not too bad a staff. Suter, Pealta, Hader, Pomeranz (re-signing him), Knebel, Wahl, Black, D. Williams, Jackson, maybe Claudio, and outside shot of Burnes is enough to pick from in the pen.

Was going to post similar to Bill Hall. Angels have to do something and with Pujols coming off soon they could start to get aggressive again. Obviously pitching is their problem, add in Cole and Otani next year and you're massively improved there. Maybe could kind of backload the deal a bit to help for the next couple years. If he wants to go home I'd say they should do it, it's basically the advantage of being the mega market, might as well use it. Still, I don't know why Houston doesn't just pay him. I know their hitters will be coming up soon too but you'll also have Verlander and Greinke falling off soon as well. Well, unless Verlander is the next Nolan Ryan or something and can keep doing this.

Why are we trading Davies for Lance Lynn...and adding on our side of the deal? Think I would rather keep Davies, the extra players, and our money for something else.

The trade would be predicated on Stearns re-signing Moose. Davies has become a 4-5 inning pitcher. FIP 4.68. Arby is going to be somewhere around $5M. Shaw has little value if Moose is re-signed and is also arby eligible ($4,675,000 now and proably going to be around $6M). Lynn is a 6+ inning guy with a FIP of 3.24.. $11M in 2020 and $9M in 2021. Rather than look at Odorizzi and pay in excess of $11M, I thought Lynn would be a nice alternative and cost effective.

I believe a Rendon signing would take up the majority of the Brewers off season budget .

If you are saying by off season budget, that we spend our current Grandal and Moustakas money on him, I suppose that would put us in the ballpark - but probably still not enough.

I believe a Rendon signing would take up the majority of the Brewers off season budget .

If you are saying by off season budget, that we spend our current Grandal and Moustakas money on him, I suppose that would put us in the ballpark - but probably still not enough.

Off season budget as in that would be the only significant signing.

I believe Mark A. would open up the checkbook for the right player but it is not a bottomless pit.

Playing as a team is way more important than one player. I would rather have a few guys than one player in Cole/Rendon. In this case you are talking a resigning of Moose, Grandal, and probably even another player for the same cost. Not only the same cost, but less years committed and way less risky. Rendon isn't much use when our bottom of the order is Thames/Cain/Pina/Arcia/Pitcher. This doesn't even consider a possible sophomore slump for Hiura or Braun being a crippled mess. I don't think people consider the fact how big of a disaster that lineup could be in 2020. It is like the rotation this year. Before the year you could see it was a risky and potential disaster to construct it that way...it was indeed a disaster to start.

Cole/Rendon are simply nowhere near even possible. This just is not a cheap roster already. They probably need to add two bats min....one is just not going to do it especially when it kills any other move making that costs over a few million.

Playing as a team is way more important than one player. I would rather have a few guys than one player in Cole/Rendon. In this case you are talking a resigning of Moose, Grandal, and probably even another player for the same cost. Not only the same cost, but less years committed and way less risky. Rendon isn't much use when our bottom of the order is Thames/Cain/Pina/Arcia/Pitcher. This doesn't even consider a possible sophomore slump for Hiura or Braun being a crippled mess. I don't think people consider the fact how big of a disaster that lineup could be in 2020. It is like the rotation this year. Before the year you could see it was a risky and potential disaster to construct it that way...it was indeed a disaster to start.

Cole/Rendon are simply nowhere near even possible. This just is not a cheap roster already. They probably need to add two bats min....one is just not going to do it especially when it kills any other move making that costs over a few million.

Thames isn't that bad, especially at #6-7. Right now he is 11th among all 1B in MLB in OBP and OPS.

He is 18th in HRs with 200 less ABs than most first basemen. Not a bad option for next year. I agree that Stearns must re-sign Moose and Grandal before even considering Cole. I would definately rather have both Moose (.260/.330 35 HRs -85 RBI), Grandal, and another player rather than sign Rendon for the same money. Arcia needs to be replaced.

Yeah, I don't understand the knock-on Thames from some. He's put together a very nice season. He is a player that I don't understand the negative defensive rankings because he makes some really good plays at 1B. Either way, for the production he brings as a lefty bat, I'm guessing he gets exercised and will do just fine next season.

Archived