Brewer Fanatic

New Contract for Yelich

RobDeer 45
My friend brought this up a few days prior to the injury, but now I'm thinking this could be a good time to do it. Tear up the old contract and see if we could get him to sign a four or five year contract for big bucks. Gives him some insurance, that he'll have one big pay day, but also will hopefully leave him for the big markets in four years for another. My initial thought was there is no way he'd do it, with how big the contracts have been this off season, but now with the injury, maybe he'd be more interested in the safety of this. Could be win win and still allow him another big contract.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My friend brought this up a few days prior to the injury, but now I'm thinking this could be a good time to do it. Tear up the old contract and see if we could get him to sign a four or five year contract for big bucks. Gives him some insurance, that he'll have one big pay day, but also will hopefully leave him for the big markets in four years for another. My initial thought was there is no way he'd do it, with how big the contracts have been this off season, but now with the injury, maybe he'd be more interested in the safety of this. Could be win win and still allow him another big contract.

So you want to take away 3 extremely team friendly years and replace them with 4 to 5 enormously expensive years? So essentially only a 1-2 year extension only we get to pay him a lot more now? Hard pass from me, as much as I love Yelich.

This "tear up his contract" thing has been mentioned in the past and it just is not something that happens. Teams don't get to get out of a contract when it ends up being a very bad one and it does not happen in reverse either. Players who sign a team friendly deal simply don't get those years voided and replaced at a much higher salary.

No thank you.

After Another MVP type performance, and, a all in, do it for Yelli chance at a title, he’s traded next offseason with 2 years control, for 4-5 top 100 prospects. That, coupled with the trading of Hader this offseason for 3-4 top 100 prospects, will help us sustain our window of winning.

No thank you.

After Another MVP type performance, and, a all in, do it for Yelli chance at a title, he’s traded next offseason with 2 years control, for 4-5 top 100 prospects. That, coupled with the trading of Hader this offseason for 3-4 top 100 prospects, will help us sustain our window of winning.

I shudder to see the day that the Brewers never trade Yelich. I don’t see them trading him at all. Especially not with multiple years left.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What team has 4-5 top 100 prospects to part with? Especially with a legitimate shot to contend?

Dodgers Braves Rays Twins Padres White Sox, that’s 6, all potential contenders in 2021.

The Dodgers aren't giving up either one of Lux or May, let alone both of them.

There isn't a single team that's going to give up four of their top 5 prospects to get Yelich, as good as he's been. That is a fantasy. It's just not even feasible. I know you've posted this idea in multiple threads, but there's not a single team in MLB that's going to give up their four top prospects to get one guy.

What team has 4-5 top 100 prospects to part with? Especially with a legitimate shot to contend?

Dodgers Braves Rays Twins Padres White Sox, that’s 6, all potential contenders in 2021.

The Dodgers aren't giving up either one of Lux or May, let alone both of them.

There isn't a single team that's going to give up four of their top 5 prospects to get Yelich, as good as he's been. That is a fantasy. It's just not even feasible. I know you've posted this idea in multiple threads, but there's not a single team in MLB that's going to give up their four top prospects to get one guy.

We gave up 3 top 100 prospects including a top 10-15 prospect before he went on a 2 year MVP binge. But it's not feasible that a team could offer a similar package except add a 4th prospect who's got more value than Yamamoto? Also, why are we looking at prospects lists now in this hypothetical future debate?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I have always assumed that the Brewers have no chance at resigning Yelich, but the guy will be on the wrong side of 30 if he waits this thing out. There is absolutely some risk in doing that.

He will be 31 in his first year in a new contact...I mean...that isn't much of a risk. He will also make $50mil before he hits FA, so he already is set for life.

He seems like a guy more than will to sign an extension early, but he is locked in as one of the best in the game. Even a slight "discount" is not going to be cheap. We won't get the giant discount to make it affordable.

I have always assumed that the Brewers have no chance at resigning Yelich, but the guy will be on the wrong side of 30 if he waits this thing out. There is absolutely some risk in doing that.

He will be 31 in his first year in a new contact...I mean...that isn't much of a risk. He will also make $50mil before he hits FA, so he already is set for life.

He seems like a guy more than will to sign an extension early, but he is locked in as one of the best in the game. Even a slight "discount" is not going to be cheap. We won't get the giant discount to make it affordable.

30+ million a year for a past prime Yelich or 4-5 years of cheap talented stud players received by trade?

I think we need to wait to see where our franchise is at when he's getting close to being out of our contract. If we are still in competitive mode, then it may be like a Fielder situation. If we are looking like we need a rebuild, then we probably will trade him off for a few pieces. Either way, I don't expect us to offer up the kind of dough that it would take to keep him around for the long haul and I personally don't believe that would be in the best interest for the Brewers anyways. And that is coming from a guy that has loved having Braun still here.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Brewers had no chance of resigning Fielder. Resigning Yelich can't be completely ruled out. The difference? Fielder was a Boras client and determined to get to FA. Yelich has already signed one long term team friendly deal so another can't be ruled out. Now the Brewers will have offer something like 5 additional years for $150-175 million, which would likely be an overpay for the last couple years, but Braun's last couple were overpays too yet I don't think they are that big of a deal.

A 5 year extension only takes him through his 35 year old season. If you could make that happen it likely doesn't end in disaster. That is actually one year earlier than Braun's. In FA he probably would be able to command 7-8 years if he keeps it up...which isn't hard to see. To be honest someone of that magnitude hasn't hit the open market in a looong time. Trout/Stanton both signed extensions early and got around $35mil a year. Both their contracts are taking them to their late 30s. I don't think Machado/Harper are comparable for what it is worth.

8/$280mil or so isn't a crazy FA number he could expect, maybe some give either direction depending on how things go between now and then. Even if you nitpick and argue that number he still would command way over $150mil.

5/$150mil would be the minimum. Though I think it would likely take more in the neighborhood of 5/$175mil if he was looking to sign an extension.

I wouldn't ever sign him to an extension, but just throwing out what it may take. I would have to think you would have to get it done this offseason. If he has another MVP type year that leaves only two years between him and FA. At that point the risk really starts shrinking bigtime on his end. He could have a down year or an injury year and still get a massive payday.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Im going to throw out the Altuve extension as a comparable for Yelich.

Altuve was a year or so younger than Yelich, and had only two years left on his deal (compared to Yelich with three). But before the 2018 season, he signed a 5 year/$151M extension to take him through his age 34 season.

So, roughly $30M a year.

Now, you can argue that Yelich is more impactful or whatever - but it's just a rough comparison.

You can also argue that Yelich is worth more - closer to the $35M that Arenado and Trout are getting. And that's probably true. But getting a new contract three years before the existing one expires requires some give back to the Brewers. In the end, I think it would be something like $30-32M. But that's just my guess.

The knee cap injury might make Yelich more inclined to consider such an extension. One injury can derail a career - and locking in extra $150-160M isn't a bad thing to do.

You can also argue that Yelich is worth more - closer to the $35M that Arenado and Trout are getting. And that's probably true. But getting a new contract three years before the existing one expires requires some give back to the Brewers. In the end, I think it would be something like $30-32M. But that's just my guess.

100% agreed.

This gets overlooked so much when considering a Yelich extension. The further out you're signing an extension, the more you need to sacrifice, because the more risk the team is taking on. You don't get full free agent value 3 years out. Braun got 20M a year on his extension. If he had been entering after agency when signing, he certainly would have gotten more.

I'm much more concerned about the time that Yelich missed this year due to his back than his kneecap. Those things usually don't get better.

I would be very, very hesitant to give a big money extension to a guy whose back flares up a couple of times a year in his 20's. He could easily have a Tulowitzke type of career trajectory.

The Brewers had no chance of resigning Fielder. Resigning Yelich can't be completely ruled out. The difference? Fielder was a Boras client and determined to get to FA. Yelich has already signed one long term team friendly deal so another can't be ruled out. Now the Brewers will have offer something like 5 additional years for $150-175 million, which would likely be an overpay for the last couple years, but Braun's last couple were overpays too yet I don't think they are that big of a deal.

This Boars thing is just so overplayed. It assumes the players are controlled by Scott Boras. Boars clients have signed pre-arby deals. He is an agent, he acts at the behest of his players.

I have to say, I'm really failing to see how a 5 year 175 million dollar extension for Yelich, who's 3 years away from Free Agency would fit any plausible definition of "team friendly." 35 million from age 31-36 is team friendly for...maybe Trout. I don't even want to think about what a player friendly deal would be to you. But here's where I really get confused. You even say that this team friendly deal over 5 years would be an "overpay." Ok...then what's the point? You have him for 3 years still(after this year of course). So taken literally, you think 3 of those years will be good and then 2 will be overpaid. That makes zero sense for the Brewers. Take that money, offer it to Gerrit Cole and try to win a World Series now. That seems more logical than giving a guy a massive extension through his mid 30's when you already have 3 years of team control.

I'm kinda amazed at the prices people think the Brewers should invest into Yelich who has 3 years of team control, missed time because of his back and just fractured his kneecap. And these are "team friendly" deals. You're talking about a Cy Young caliber pitcher entering Free Agency, a player I've been told we'd never be able to sign as a franchise.

I'm kinda amazed at the prices people think the Brewers should invest into Yelich who has 3 years of team control, missed time because of his back and just fractured his kneecap. And these are "team friendly" deals. You're talking about a Cy Young caliber pitcher entering Free Agency, a player I've been told we'd never be able to sign as a franchise.

If the Brewers are ever gonna offer 30+ million per year for a starting pitcher, it should be this guy. Guessing ~ 7 at 210 could land him. He also, imo, could be traded if/when we need to. 1-2 more years of Yelich, surrounded by a nice core of position players, with Cole & Woodruff & Houser leading a rotation, with the best bullpen in the NL, yeah, put me down for that.

Yelich is owed:

$12.5 million in 2020

$14 million in 2021

$15 million in 2022 (team option)

I wonder how a deal that works like this would go?

$15 million signing bonus

$25 million in 2022 (replacing team option)

$25 million in 2023

$25 million in 2024

$25 million in 2025

$25 million in 2026

$25 million in 2027

$5 million in each year is deferred, to be paid out over ten years starting in 2028.

Gets Yelich through age 35. The deal is still team friendly, but Yelich has some real financial security down the road.

Starting pitching is an absolutely monumental risk in FA. And likely costs us 7+ years in FA. That is exponentially more risky than extending a hitter.

Yes agree 100%.

But Cole is unique in the following way:

Superb mechanics, easy heat, I believe, helps keep him healthy over most other pitchers. Absolutely unhittable stuff. A 6 war starter is extremely valuable to any team. I also believe pairing him up with Woodruff and Houser at the top of the rotation, coupled with the best bullpen in the NL, the best hitter in baseball, a strong positional core, a great manager, a superb GM, mix it all together and we get a title. 2 years of Cole and Yelich should be enough, then trade em. Rebuild.

This Boars thing is just so overplayed. It assumes the players are controlled by Scott Boras. Boars clients have signed pre-arby deals. He is an agent, he acts at the behest of his players.

It's not about Boras controlling them (Though clearly some fans do think that, but there are always idiots out there), but more about why they choose Boras as their agent in the first place. It's a large agency with a lot of resources, so that could be a reason too of course, but what Boras is known for is landing the big free agent deals. So you'd think that players with Boras Corp are more likely than average to go that route, and that's why they went there in the first place.

As for the comment by Briggs; I think that Yelich having signed a team-friendly extension already makes it less likely that he signs another one, not more. Early extensions are trading potential income for a lower but guaranteed one that gives financial security. Yelich already has that with some $50-60m in earnings. Betting on yourself in that situation and losing still means you're set for life. Of course everyone is different, Yelich might be someone who values the stability and the connections to the city and organization etc, none of us really know. But in a vacuum, I wouldn't think he's someone who would sign an early team-friendly extension at this time.

Archived