Brewer Fanatic

Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Eye Black
I'm not a bone surgeon, but I watch a lot of medical stuff on TV and the internet. I freely admit I'm being overly optimistic about this (and know nothing but what I've read), but isn't there a way to glue bones together that makes them usable within one month? NOTE: The split in the kneecap would have to be a straight split, not something that is jagged on either side.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So he wears two jerseys and has a terrible game.

Yup, let’s try again tomorrow. Try three or four next time.

Way to be a dang buzzkill. I personally thought it was pretty cool of Braun to do that. I’m sure his teammates thought it was cool as well. I think sometimes we forget that these guys are human. Yeah, Braun didn’t have a good game tonight. There are other ways to make positive contribution, and he may have found one. Hopefully his bat heats up, because they are going to need it.

It's why my avatar is what it is. The guy was an absolute putz and made his mistakes but has since been a great guy and teammate for the Brewers organization. Yelich looks to be his best friend and they obviously care for each other greatly. I am sure Braun is/was affected by the news of his buddy having to miss the rest of the year and he tried to do something special for him and for his team. But you still get the butthole comments from the peanut gallery no matter what. Here was the finishing quote:

Ryan Braun was in contact with Christian Yelich on Wednesday, before and after he wore his jersey in the 7-5 win.

"He's in a good place," Braun said. "For him, the toughest part is he feels like he let us down. For us, the goal is to rally around what's happened."

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Way to be a dang buzzkill. I personally thought it was pretty cool of Braun to do that. I’m sure his teammates thought it was cool as well. I think sometimes we forget that these guys are human. Yeah, Braun didn’t have a good game tonight. There are other ways to make positive contribution, and he may have found one. Hopefully his bat heats up, because they are going to need it.

More the fact I found it funny he did something new, was terrible, and was like "yah, I am going to do it tomorrow too".

More the fact I found it funny he did something new, was terrible, and was like "yah, I am going to do it tomorrow too".

Kinda proves that we wasn't doing it with his own stats in mind, doesn't it?

I was a bit skeptical of the youtube doctor diagnosis of 3-4 months minimum, but I'm obviously not a professional so wasn't about to refute it without facts. Im also not necessarily going to believe anything jim bowden says, but 6-8 weeks tends to be the normal timeline given for fractures. So i buy a 6-8 week timeline more than 3-4 months or possibly more as was noted by the youtube doctor. If it's 6, i think he would be back for the NLCS at best. Considering everything, hard to imagine seeing yelich play again in 2019. This news means he probably has a fairly normal offseason and is ready for 2020 though

Right, and when I posted that video it was mostly just because any doctor's opinion on the situation would be of interest in the waning hours of the evening. Everything depends on the severity of the break or fracture. That the scuttlebutt about his recovery time is now weeks rather than months that leads me to think the fracture isn't very extensive at all. Which makes sense, Yelich wasn't hit by a car, he only fouled a baseball off his knee.

I remember Robin Ventura dislocating his ankle running the bases back in the day, which was a really gross looking injury. It happened fairly early in the season and everyone was kind of assuming he wouldn't play again that year. He came back faster than most people, or at least I, thought he would and I was just amazed that was possible.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I still think he could pinch hit during the World Series.

I would take a one-legged Yelich over Freitas any day.

Obviously a big indicator of their intentions will be whether to put Yelich on the 60-day DL in order to add an additional depth piece for these remaining 17 games. The question would be whether it's more valuable to add an extra deep depth piece like Nate Orf, Luke Barker, Miguel Sanchez, or J.P. Feyereisen for the remainder of the regular season, or keep Yelich on the active roster in the unlikely event that the team makes the World Series, and he's healthy enough to actually do something in it.

I still think he could pinch hit during the World Series.

I would take a one-legged Yelich over Freitas any day.

Obviously a big indicator of their intentions will be whether to put Yelich on the 60-day DL in order to add an additional depth piece for these remaining 17 games. The question would be whether it's more valuable to add an extra deep depth piece like Nate Orf, Luke Barker, Miguel Sanchez, or J.P. Feyereisen for the remainder of the regular season, or keep Yelich on the active roster in the unlikely event that the team makes the World Series, and he's healthy enough to actually do something in it.

I read Yelich is seeking a second opinion, which seems to me he either wants to be cautious and ensure that the injury will not require surgery to heal properly, or is perhaps frustrated with the 8-week timeframe and doesn’t want to be ruled out for a postseason return. A return in the World Series would frankly be Jordan-esque. But we should all just want the guy to be healthy. He’s already sustained a more painful injury than I’ve ever had in my life, and I hope he can manage the pain and find some peace with this. He’s got to be hurting mentally and physically.

I read Yelich is seeking a second opinion, which seems to me he either wants to be cautious and ensure that the injury will not require surgery to heal properly, or is perhaps frustrated with the 8-week timeframe and doesn’t want to be ruled out for a postseason return. A return in the World Series would frankly be Jordan-esque. But we should all just want the guy to be healthy. He’s already sustained a more painful injury than I’ve ever had in my life, and I hope he can manage the pain and find some peace with this. He’s got to be hurting mentally and physically.

The first thing you said. I am sure he wants to make sure there will be no need for surgery as a long term thing. A 8 week timetable is pretty realistic and the Brewers are not going to rush him back. If we make the freakin' WS without him clearly we are doing just fine. Risking long term injury to our near 2-time MVP at that point would be foolish.

Really anyone should get a 2nd opinion on something like this, should just be standard practice.

Willis Reed-esque would probably be more accurate than Jordan-esque. He played with a cold/flu. Unless I took that wrong and you just meant his general comeback after retiring the first time, then yea I get what you mean. Sorry, just my disdain for the MJ mythology that has been created in the last 20 years. Or even worse, KD-esque and unfortunately we saw how that turned out and we don't want to repeat that.

Really anyone should get a 2nd opinion on something like this, should just be standard practice.

Willis Reed-esque would probably be more accurate than Jordan-esque. He played with a cold/flu. Unless I took that wrong and you just meant his general comeback after retiring the first time, then yea I get what you mean. Sorry, just my disdain for the MJ mythology that has been created in the last 20 years. Or even worse, KD-esque and unfortunately we saw how that turned out and we don't want to repeat that.

I think the best comparison would be Kirk Gibson in the 1988 World Series. Of course, we probably don't remember the times when a player returned early from injury to play in the World Series only to not do something heroic.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What if he hit a game-winning HR but was unable to run the bases?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Its not a HR until you run the bases. He could crawl

That would be awesome.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not a bone surgeon, but I watch a lot of medical stuff on TV and the internet. I freely admit I'm being overly optimistic about this (and know nothing but what I've read), but isn't there a way to glue bones together that makes them usable within one month? NOTE: The split in the kneecap would have to be a straight split, not something that is jagged on either side.

... but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? ;)

Its not a HR until you run the bases. He could crawl

That would be awesome.

Best comparison that comes to mind there is Byron Leftwich getting carried down the field by his OL after he broke his shin but played through it.

There was a softball player that tore an ACL on a HR...possibly a walk off even, can't recall. The other team helped her get around the bases.

There was a softball player that tore an ACL on a HR...possibly a walk off even, can't recall. The other team helped her get around the bases.

I am sure the Astros would do the same :)

You know...I really wonder what would happen. You think all 9 guys would stare at a player cripple in pain and win that way? Even though the ball is over the fence and in all reality you lost? What if said player is screeching in pain trying to crawl around the bases inch by inch? I would think you would have to stand there and watch it as leaving the field would be like giving up. How would that be received after the fact whether they made it to home in the end or not?

I wonder where the players would draw line line...if at all in such a situation. Normal homer yes...walk off maybe...postseason heck no?

Those borderline worthless baseball writers should run with this story and ask some players, let them do so without giving their name for the article.

You know...I really wonder what would happen. You think all 9 guys would stare at a player cripple in pain and win that way? Even though the ball is over the fence and in all reality you lost? What if said player is screeching in pain trying to crawl around the bases inch by inch? I would think you would have to stand there and watch it as leaving the field would be like giving up. How would that be received after the fact whether they made it to home in the end or not?

I wonder where the players would draw line line...if at all in such a situation. Normal homer yes...walk off maybe...postseason heck no?

Those borderline worthless baseball writers should run with this story and ask some players, let them do so without giving their name for the article.

Funny you say that because after I posted what I did I thought "Maybe they actually would do it". I'm sure there's some jack wad team like the Pirates that wouldn't but if he hit a homer to win the Series would they really make him crawl around the bases?

Funny you say that because after I posted what I did I thought "Maybe they actually would do it". I'm sure there's some jack wad team like the Pirates that wouldn't but if he hit a homer to win the Series would they really make him crawl around the bases?

You either have the greatest ending in sports history or arguably the worst as millions of people watch 9 humans watch another human struggle to get around the bases for 10minutes with a serious medical injury. If he doesn't make it are 30ish guys going to pounce onto the field celebrating while the dude who beat you gets carted off? You basically win on a technicality.

Of course odds are you could hop the bases on one leg....put jeez, that is going to be no better and not very fast either.

Archived