Brewer Fanatic

Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Eye Black
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody worried about whether or not we've seen the best of Yelich? I feel like these are the type of injuries that lead to other injuries and consistent stints on the DL.

Seriously?

This is the kind of irresponsible rhetoric that I hate about the internet. Throwing out an opinion with absolutely zero basis in fact. What you're "feeling" is completely ridiculous.

It's a broken knee cap, not a soft tissue tear. I've had one. Two years ago, I fell and split my left patella into two pieces. I was on bed rest for two months, as there was one little part of the bone that was still connected, and doing so, my orthopedic surgeon hoped to avoid surgery. Doctor put a soft cast on it. Outside of getting up to use the restroom, or taking a bath, I was stuck in bed for the whole time, 24/7, because my bones are naturally weaker. The knee healed fine, and you'd never know it was injured.

Regardless of the kind of fracture, be it a hairline break, or something more substantial, the likelihood of there being any kind of complications from this going forward are slim. If it's a serious fracture, they'll out some hardware in place, and the bone will heal. Have you seen the kind of shape this guy is in? His body physiology is off the charts. He'll heal fine, and I expect we'll see Yelich back at 100% for the start of spring training.

It sucks he got hurt. I feel for him. And, it probably costs him a second straight MVP. He was leading the award index coming into the day. But let's not start in with the, "he might never be the same again" stuff. Especially with today's medical technology.

+1 million

I know this is the age of social media and "shoot from the hip" hot takes, but it is still possible to go over the top.

He's just wondering aloud, not predicting. Nothing wrong with that. Saying it will take historical miracle to make the playoffs is just as outlandish.

I think it's just frustration. Most fans are already bummed enough tonight without the immediate worst case scenario unfounded speculation.

It's a shame, not only for Yelich and the Brewers but for baseball. The NL MVP race was tight with around 4 guys being potential winners. It sucks the field is whittled down due to a fluky (for baseball) injury. And Yelich had a chance at a 50/30 or possibly even a 50/40 season. History lost tonight.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

What a disheartening injury.

That said, i couldn't disagree more with those concerned this will impact him long term. This is actually probably one of the least likely significant injuries to result in long term issues. I would be far and away more concerned about a wrist, shoulder, elbow, or ankle in that order. Heck a severe oblique injury might concern me more. Simple fractures also generally heal fine, it's the ligament and rotator cuff type injuries that are concerning. If he's for sure done for the season including playoffs, i would be surprised if he wasn't 100% by sometime in January

He's just wondering aloud, not predicting. Nothing wrong with that. Saying it will take historical miracle to make the playoffs is just as outlandish.

He's not predicting?

I feel like these are the type of injuries that lead to other injuries and consistent stints on the DL.

Sounds like a kind of prediction to me. If it's not a prediction-if it wasn't even remotely likely with Yelich, then why say it at all?

Being upset the guy is injured is fine. We all are. But making a quantum leap into, "we may have seen the best of Yelich" is absurd hyperbole. Further opining about how "these are the types of injuries that lead to other injuries and consistent stints on the DL" is pure fiction.

That is a patently false statement. It is conjecture, and poor conjecture, at that.

First of all, we don't know to what extent the thing is broken. It could be a simple hairline fracture. It may well be that, had it happened much earlier in the season, he could have healed, and returned in the regular season. There are some twenty games left, approximately. We're almost done with this thing. I'm assuming the Brewers medical staff are much like the Packers medical staff, taking the conservative approach to allow their athletes all the time needed to fully heal properly. It probably doesn't make sense to try to rush him back, so shutting him down, allowing him to heal properly, and start getting ready for next season is the logical, and prudent thing to do.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

The crappier our roster- the more We seem to win. I wish after this we’d try to protect our first round pick and lose a bunch, but naturally that won’t happen. I don’t care about making the postseason without a decent roster
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Yelich out sucks for sure but I'm not as worked up as some. Grisham deserves to play more now and will. He needs to hit. Hiura has to get back fast and hit. Moose needs to get back fast and hit. Shaw I give up. He's done. Austin appears to have some value and if Arcia is feeling good about his kids born and can get his mind right for 20games that would help. Braun needs to be Braun and Thames keep doing what you been doing bro. If anything Counsell needs to give Grandal a day off soon so he doesn't turn to dust and he can stay hitting. If the pitching can pick it up a bit they can still make it but if any of those things don't then it's a wrap.

This doctor's projected timeline is 4-6 months if Yelich doesn't need surgery and 9-11 months if he does.

Source

If this is accurate really hoping it doesn't require surgery.

https://youtu.be/PsJFou1LJ40

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

If Yelich was healthy and continued playing at an 8 WAR pace, pro-rated the Brewers would gain 1 WAR the rest of the way. Having Shaw improve to replacement level the rest of the way would make up a third of the difference.

If Yelich was healthy and continued playing at an 8 WAR pace, pro-rated the Brewers would gain 1 WAR the rest of the way. Having Shaw improve to replacement level the rest of the way would make up a third of the difference.

If he hasn't done that by now, it probably isn't going to happen in the next 2 weeks. Shaw is toast, at least for 2019.

Depending on the xrays Yeli should be back by April. Fracture will take 6 weeks to heal and then probably another 6 weeks of getting into game shape.

The real concern is long term effects from the fracture. The break more than likely involves his joint. He could develop post traumatic arthritis. Get knee swelling and other recurrent symptoms. Its so hard to know without looking at xrays. Also each individual heals so differently and a different pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really the variance in time comes from how long it takes for him to regain his quad strength and his range of motion.

Also if he has a lot a swelling after the fracture heals it will slow down recovery time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's just frustration. Most fans are already bummed enough tonight without the immediate worst case scenario unfounded speculation.

I was really referring to their reality of not being very good and how a team with such a bad run differential has never made it (which technically isn’t final). Even if they do make it such a team with a negative run differential even sniffing the WS once in is quite a pipe dream...so really, how upsetting can this be even if it were to “derail the season”. Which by itself really can’t.

It’s not my prediction...nor am I really saying that is what I think. Just that when you look at it at face value the odds are incredibly stacked against us not only to get in, but to win games once there. The average person has been calling the season over short of a miracle for a long time. Heck people have written off WS for months.

I am much more concerned about Yelich’s future than I am about this Brewers season.

I am one of those who emotionally wrote off this season quite awhile ago on the basis that making the playoffs was a very long shot and advancing very far in the playoffs was even more unlikely. Not what I hoped for coming into the season.

I am enjoying watching the Brewers now as an unexpected bonus of games that have meaning as long as I don’t think about teams like the Dodgers, Astros, and Yankees lurking in the future. But until yesterday I thought we at least had the prospect of watching one of the best players in baseball every day. Even the possibility that he could miss much or all of next season and/or never be the same player he has been these last two years, is about as depressing as it gets for a sports fan.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

It must be readily apparent by now to all of us including the naysayers(understandably so)that this brewers team is not the same team of just 2 weeks ago. Injuries notwithstanding. This team with all the youngins from AAA, who by the way, were a very special team all year, in their own right, have added not just talent, but energy to an already confident September team. I’m not saying Yelich is not a huge loss, it is, after all he’s the best September player in all of baseball, how could he not be missed, but we will get our other wounded back over the course of the next week to 10 days, and that will more than compensate for the loss of Yelich. The intangible factor of the team rallying together can’t be measured by statistics, but will CONTINUE on, not start now, but continue till this team gets to the playoffs.

Archived