Brewer Fanatic

Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Eye Black
With the Cubs down 5-2 in San Diego (still early) it is very much possible that the Brewers are going to be just one game back of a wild card spot on the same night they lose Christian Yelich for the season.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm worried as all heck now. This could be the type of injury that derails a career, not just a season.

What a horrible shame.

No more likely than just about any other season ending type of injury in the game. This is not more concerning than any other major injury. I mean any time you have a guy with back to back MVP seasons you are worried if he can repeat it, add a big injury and it is even less likely, but the nature of this injury is not concerning compared to others in the big picture.

A broken kneecap is a bad injury, but I'd equate it to arod's broken collarbone...it will take awhile to heal but once it does the player is really no worse for the wear.

Yelich will be ready for spring training next year - timing of this just sucks for any postseason aspirations. I mean, they may still find a way to get into the playoffs, but now it's a lock they wouldn't do anything once they get there.

How do replace a MVP

If they go into this situation thinking that they can, they already lost.

Other guys, namely Braun, Grisham and Gamel, and maybe even Taylor, need to step up. Moose needs to get back in the lineup tomorrow and hit. Hiura needs to come back soon and hit. And yes, they are going to need a positive contribution out of Shaw at some point.

How do replace a MVP

If they go into this situation thinking that they can, they already lost.

Other guys, namely Braun, Grisham and Gamel, and maybe even Taylor, need to step up. Moose needs to get back in the lineup tomorrow and hit. Hiura needs to come back soon and hit. And yes, they are going to need a positive contribution out of Shaw at some point.

No, once Moose is back tomorrow we shouldn't be seeing Shaw the rest of the season.

We really should be glad this happened in September where 99% of his recovery will be in the winter and not in May/June/July where he still would have been out for months and likely would have come back to be rusty for any part of the later year he might have played in.

Maybe I’d think otherwise if this team was a dominate force, but since they need some historical miracle to make the postseason let alone win it all...this is likely harmless in the bigger picture of winning a WS etc. this could be way worse.

We really should be glad this happened in September where 99% of his recovery will be in the winter and not in May/June/July where he still would have been out for months and likely would have come back to be rusty for any part of the later year he might have played in.

Maybe I’d think otherwise if this team was a dominate force, but since they need some historical miracle to make the postseason let alone win it all...this is likely harmless in the bigger picture of winning a WS etc. this could be way worse.

Bingo - sucks for yelich, this team, and us as fans for the rest of 2019, but if we are all honest there was a snowball's chance in hades this roster would make significant noise in the postseason even with a healthy mvp right fielder anchoring the lineup. Basically 6.5 months from opening day 2020, odds are that yelich will have plenty of time to heal and rehab and not miss much of any regular season games due to this injury next year - and if he does need extra time the brewers do have capable options of holding down the fort.

since they need some historical miracle to make the postseason

Do you not consider the Wild Card the postseason? Because if the scores hold up tonight, they are 1 game out of that. Hardly a miracle with 19 to play.

I took it as it would be a miracle for this team to go on a run and actually win a world series - there's always a chance, but realistically I don't think any of us view the brewers as a dangerous postseason opponent even with yelich considering the pitching staff, particularly when they would have to go back to a 25 man postseason roster.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Tough to swallow, but this is a reality for every team. Injuries happen, and while you can't replace a good player (much less an MVP player), you just have to give it the best try.

It seems that injuries have been tough on this year's club. More so than normal.

Again, just tough - especially considering the team has been playing well. We'll need some guys to step up if we are to stay in the playoff picture.

Do you not consider the Wild Card the postseason? Because if the scores hold up tonight, they are 1 game out of that. Hardly a miracle with 19 to play.

I took it as it would be a miracle for this team to go on a run and actually win a world series - there's always a chance, but realistically I don't think any of us view the brewers as a dangerous postseason opponent even with yelich considering the pitching staff, particularly when they would have to go back to a 25 man postseason roster.

Remember this is baseball

I'm guessing miracle more from the injury overcoming standpoint rather than the standings. I mean if you're the Cubs you've definitely got to think this is huge for them.

Maybe it will help us play looser? I don't know, I'm kind of reaching, but at this point I don't think the expectations are really there from most. Just go out and do what you can for 19 games and see what happens.

But yeah the small remaining sample size makes it possible to be overcome, we didn't lose Yelich for an entire season. It's a streaky game and maybe Grisham OPSes 1.000 over the next 2 weeks. Who knows. But yeah it's not like the Packera losing Rodgers on opening night for 16 games.

That's a whole different deal. But he said make the postseason. Which this team surprisingly stands a halfway decent shot of doing.

Remember this is baseball

Anybody worried about whether or not we've seen the best of Yelich? I feel like these are the type of injuries that lead to other injuries and consistent stints on the DL.

Seriously?

This is the kind of irresponsible rhetoric that I hate about the internet. Throwing out an opinion with absolutely zero basis in fact. What you're "feeling" is completely ridiculous.

It's a broken knee cap, not a soft tissue tear. I've had one. Two years ago, I fell and split my left patella into two pieces. I was on bed rest for two months, as there was one little part of the bone that was still connected, and doing so, my orthopedic surgeon hoped to avoid surgery. Doctor put a soft cast on it. Outside of getting up to use the restroom, or taking a bath, I was stuck in bed for the whole time, 24/7, because my bones are naturally weaker. The knee healed fine, and you'd never know it was injured.

Regardless of the kind of fracture, be it a hairline break, or something more substantial, the likelihood of there being any kind of complications from this going forward are slim. If it's a serious fracture, they'll out some hardware in place, and the bone will heal. Have you seen the kind of shape this guy is in? His body physiology is off the charts. He'll heal fine, and I expect we'll see Yelich back at 100% for the start of spring training.

It sucks he got hurt. I feel for him. And, it probably costs him a second straight MVP. He was leading the award index coming into the day. But let's not start in with the, "he might never be the same again" stuff. Especially with today's medical technology.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived