Brewer Fanatic

Question about OBP

How does a player with 295 total plate appearances, 73 hits, 23 walks, and 14 hbp have an OBP of .375? I get .373 when I compute it. (These are Rickie Weeks's numbers according to brewers.mlb.com as of right now.) The only thing I can think of is that SF aren't counted as plate appearances for OBP. Rickie has 2 SF, leading to an OBP of 110/293 if that's how it is computed, which would be .375. If someone can let me know if this is right or not, that'd be great.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think SFs count as a plate appearance when calculating OBP, but not not as an AB when calculating batting average. That's how you end up with low-walk guys like Alex Sanchez occasionally having a lower OBP than batting average.

I think your calculations are right as is End's explaination.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Right now I'm seeing 75 hits, 23 walks, 14 HBP, and 300 total plate appearances, but a .376 OBP. My only theory is that SF must not count as plate appearances for OBP (at least for the ones on MLB.com) because that would work again.

If that is the case, it makes me wonder, why does MLB list Total Plate Appearances if that's not the number they use to determine OBP?

Edit: Apparently SF are included as plate appearances, but it looks like SH (normal sacrifices?) are not included because those without any SH don't have discrepancies in their OBP, but for those with some SH, their OBP comes out to (H+BB+HBP)/(TPA-SH). The only exception is Brady Clark. So moral of the story: I still don't really know what's going on. Either there are several errors, there's something else I've been missing, or the above explanation is correct and Brady Clark's OBP is simply miscalculated.

Sac flies count against OBP. Sac bunts don't count either way (just as in BA and SLG).

Here's the OBP formula: (H+BB+HBP) / (AB+BB+HBP+Sacrifice Flies)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

What he said. The dominator for OBP isn't PA, since OBP doesn't include SH.

Brady Clark:

H = 64

BB = 31

HBP = 8

AB = 229

SF = 4

OBP = (H+BB+HBP) / (AB+BB+HBP+SF)

OBP = (64+31+http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif /(229+31+8+4) = .3787

The demoninator of OBP isn't necessarily PA-SH. That's because PA includes"Reached on defensive interference" (at least for ESPN). IIRC, Clark reached from catcher's interference, hence TPA being 1 higher than "AB+BB+HBP+SH+SF"

BTW, I was horribly confused by all this the first time I set out to calculate these things on my own http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

MLB Statistics Glossary, ESPN

Archived