Brewer Fanatic

2019-09-08: Cubs (Lester) at Brewers (Houser) [Brewers win, 8-5 -- Crew wins the season series vs. Cubs]

Eye Black
So, the Brewers get at least a few more days of “meaningful games in September”. The longer they can keep that going the better.

One of the fun things about this for me is that I’m not feeling the anxiety that I have when I think the Brewers should be making the playoffs but look like they might blow it. Remember 2008 when they had a 5 game lead for the wild card around Labor Day, then went through the swoon that led to Yost’s firing, and needed some choking by the Mets to get the spot.

I might also find out how I really feel about the second wild card spot. Since they first added the second WC spot I have always thought that getting that wouldn’t really feel like being in the playoffs unless you won the WC game. The team would be in and out of the playoffs in a day without even having a home playoff game. I know last year I wasn’t going to be satisfied until they clinched at least the first wild card spot. As it turned out they did that on the same day they clinched a playoff berth with the win over the Cardinals.

I’m still skeptical that this patchwork lineup and pitching staff can bring this home. But the Cubs are really leaking oil with some of their injuries and they have those 7 games with the Cardinals to deal with. If the Brewers can’t get the WC, the Cubs not getting it would be the next best thing.

Either way, I think it is a heck of a ride.

With all the injuries and other problems, the Crew has done very well. If it's playoffs, awesome, if not, there is next year - especially if they bring back Moose and Yaz.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am REALLY sick of BA's overreaction on fly balls.

He has been doing this long enough that he should have a handle on how balls carry in Miller Park.

Geez.

In his defense, He's only called about four games this year at Miller Park.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So, the Brewers get at least a few more days of “meaningful games in September”. The longer they can keep that going the better.

One of the fun things about this for me is that I’m not feeling the anxiety that I have when I think the Brewers should be making the playoffs but look like they might blow it. Remember 2008 when they had a 5 game lead for the wild card around Labor Day, then went through the swoon that led to Yost’s firing, and needed some choking by the Mets to get the spot.

I might also find out how I really feel about the second wild card spot. Since they first added the second WC spot I have always thought that getting that wouldn’t really feel like being in the playoffs unless you won the WC game. The team would be in and out of the playoffs in a day without even having a home playoff game. I know last year I wasn’t going to be satisfied until they clinched at least the first wild card spot. As it turned out they did that on the same day they clinched a playoff berth with the win over the Cardinals.

I’m still skeptical that this patchwork lineup and pitching staff can bring this home. But the Cubs are really leaking oil with some of their injuries and they have those 7 games with the Cardinals to deal with. If the Brewers can’t get the WC, the Cubs not getting it would be the next best thing.

Either way, I think it is a heck of a ride.

With all the injuries and other problems, the Crew has done very well. If it's playoffs, awesome, if not, there is next year - especially if they bring back Moose and Yaz.

I don’t consider this season a heck of a ride given the reasonable expectations before the season started. The fact that they are still in the discussion for a playoff spot with a record only 6 games over .500 is making the end of the season more interesting. But I know I enjoyed seasons like 1978, 1979, and 1987 more than this year because the Brewers had very good teams that won over 90 games, even though the “no wild card” era meant that wouldn’t be good enough to make the playoffs in a strong division.

The next challenge will be seeing if the Brewers can get through this week or road games without losing ground. Even with the expanded rosters this stretch of 18 games Could strain the pitchers you really want to see in close games. It’s too bad they had to drag Hader in to nail down today’s game.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Not sure how anyone can watch a Cubs series at Miller Park and not realize that it isn't the typical home field advantage vs other teams. The Cubs fans really do take over Miller Park, not trying to stir up controversy, just stating facts.

When the Cubs did anything good, you could not tell they were on the road, the cheers were just as loud as when the Brewers did something good.

Facts is facts.

Is it really any kind of advantage? That’s the problem I have with it. I think the impact is hardly meaningful...if any at all.

Not sure how anyone can watch a Cubs series at Miller Park and not realize that it isn't the typical home field advantage vs other teams. The Cubs fans really do take over Miller Park, not trying to stir up controversy, just stating facts.

When the Cubs did anything good, you could not tell they were on the road, the cheers were just as loud as when the Brewers did something good.

Facts is facts.

If you watch any Cubs game when they are on the road they get hearty cheers no matter where they go. That team just has a large national following - probably because they were on WGN all those years. The Crew should get a lot of cheers at Marlins Park this week. A lot of WI transplants down here will most likely attend (we can't go because of other commitments.). The Marlins just don't get a lot of their fans to attend their games.

It would be even more fun if the WC teams could play more than one game. They could make a 3 game series with the second WC team getting one of home games if they won one of the first 2.

Archived