Brewer Fanatic

Tyrone Taylor called up

reillymcshane

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I read that before being called up, Taylor had applied for a job at FedEx to earn some extra cash over the winter.

A player on minimum rookie scale ($550,000) makes about $3,500 a game, so everyday he's on the roster is a pretty huge deal for guys like him. 20 days can net him 70k.

FedEx can wait.

I read that before being called up, Taylor had applied for a job at FedEx to earn some extra cash over the winter.

A player on minimum rookie scale ($550,000) makes about $3,500 a game, so everyday he's on the roster is a pretty huge deal for guys like him. 20 days can net him 70k.

FedEx can wait.

They were talking about that on the radio broadcast and I was confused about it and thought it was an inside joke or something.

He profiles as a 4th OF which is nice to have as we have seen with Gamel. Taylor can play all 3 OF spots and we all know how Stearns loves players who can play multiple spots. Taylor is very athletic so he could be a late bloomer but I doubt it though he was once just a singles and doubles hitter I wish they wouldn't have changed his swing from that. The Brewers have enough guys who smash the ball well it would be nice to have one or two players who just hit the ball for average.

It might actually be nice to have Taylor and Gamel on the 40 man next year as both can be optioned and both can play CF. Sure didn't look like Taylor would ever make the majors a couple years ago so good to see.

Taylor didn't do all that well at San Antonio compared to others, .269/.334. They called him up because they can have the entire 40 man roster up, but he really hasn't shown enough to warrent a roster spot in the majors.

It might actually be nice to have Taylor and Gamel on the 40 man next year as both can be optioned and both can play CF. Sure didn't look like Taylor would ever make the majors a couple years ago so good to see.

Taylor didn't do all that well at San Antonio compared to others, .269/.334. They called him up because they can have the entire 40 man roster up, but he really hasn't shown enough to warrent a roster spot in the majors.

To be fair to Taylor, a really good 2018, got people excited for what this former top 100 prospect, would do this year. He looked great, like Grisham, in ST. But a wrist injury early in the year, slowed his year, but he had a great August, and here we are. So I believe he’s definitely rostered next year and with his defensive versatility and options is a valuable prospect to have in AAA next year.

What did Taylor make in just AAA pay this year?

Think it's about $45k for the season, since he was on the 40 man for the first time. So he gets about twice as much this month as he got the entire season in AAA.

Thanks for that. So not a crazy low salary then. I mean, I would think they'd be up a little bit but 45K is not peanuts either. A lot of people on Twitter made it sound like he was living on the streets.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What did Taylor make in just AAA pay this year?

Think it's about $45k for the season, since he was on the 40 man for the first time. So he gets about twice as much this month as he got the entire season in AAA.

Thanks for that. So not a crazy low salary then. I mean, I would think they'd be up a little bit but 45K is not peanuts either. A lot of people on Twitter made it sound like he was living on the streets.

If he makes 45K, and gets fed most of the time for free, and probably gets rent paid as well, 45K is surely not peanuts. 45K with room and board covered is not bad at all.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If he makes 45K, and gets fed most of the time for free, and probably gets rent paid as well, 45K is surely not peanuts. 45K with room and board covered is not bad at all.

I'm pretty sure players have to pay for housing unless they have a host family.

Yeah, that's why you hear lots of stories of 5 or 6 players living together in a small apartment. They get fed at the park, and a very small per diem on the road. They cover the rest of their living expenses. But you're talking about $45k for a guy that was actually on the 40 man roster. The rest are lucky to make a few thousand a month, and only get paid during the regular season.

Gruber Lawffices

I mean, he did get a $750K signing bonus when he was drafted way back in 2012 - there's not many fedex employees who received that kind of coin right after graduating high school. Hopefully a good portion of that got stowed away after taxes and he's got a solid nest egg once he hangs the cleats up for good - kudos to him for working his way through the minors and overcoming a few injuries and tough seasons to get to the show. And good for him looking into ways to supplement his income if he wants to keep playing. The amount of work these guys need to put in over the offseason to try and achieve a sustained MLB career makes it very difficult to find a gig that pays the bills - often the marginal prospects hit their mid 20s and the pocketbook drives them away from lengthy minor league careers moreso than being pushed out of baseball by younger prospects.

Taylor would be a decent option at the bottom of the 40 man in 2020, and I think this roster is going to turn over enough in the offseason where they could easily keep him on it if they want. Doubtful he has a good opportunity at the opening day MLB roster unless Gamel or Grisham get dealt, which is highly unlikely IMO.

Archived