Brewer Fanatic

Has anyone lost confidence in Stearns

brewers888
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the moves he made at the deadline. Killed it.

Really? Killed it?

I think his best moves were the ones he didn't make.

Speaking of killing it, Dubon is killing it for the Giants. Homered twice already, off Kershaw last night. OPSing .960 and starting at both middle infield spots.

With Hiura and Moose out right now and throwing out junk every night for middle infielders, it sure would be nice to have Dubon as an option right now, especially against LHP. Right now we are starting Corey Spangenberg, a career journeyman lefty with a .568 career OPS vs lefties, every day against LHP because our middle infield options are that bad. That's not a good position to be in.

Before anyone gets too excited about renting Drew Pomeranz for a couple months, it should be considered that if Mauricio Dubon turns out to be even an average starting middle infielder at this level, giving up 6+ years of him for spare Giants bullpen parts will go down as a massive flop.

I think that's part of the point. They did get somewhat better, but didn't act stupidly.

I think giving up their 3rd rated prospect who is a middle infielder, given that their existing shortstop isn't very good, they got a rental lefty with a 5.28 ERA this year and a 29 year old bullpen project who may not even make the team next year was pretty stupid. I was vocal about that at the time.

I do realize that will come off as harsh and I'm probably in the minority on that stance now, however.

What a difference a year makes. Losing Knebel and Jeffress never returning to form was a big blow to the pen. Peralta and Burnes not performing well and Nelson struggles along with losing our ace Woody for all these weeks was a killer. Aguilar was so disappointing he was shipped off to Tampa. Shaw lost it at the plate. Cain was beat up all year. Moose too. I can't think of many teams with these kinds of issues overcoming these challenges and making the playoffs so if we somehow manage to sneak into a WC spot it will be a bloody miracle.

Speaking of killing it, Dubon is killing it for the Giants. Homered twice already, off Kershaw last night. OPSing .960 and starting at both middle infield spots.

Dubon has started 7 games for SF so far.

His first three he hit 200/200/400.

His last four he hit 462/462/1077.

Mauricio has been killing it for four whole games.

He also has yet to walk in 25 MLB PAs.

I'm still solidly in Stearns corner.

I'd still project Dubon as more of a utility infielder. But with SS looking like a pretty significant hole and Turang still years away, I think it's perfectly legitimate for anyone to question trading Dubon away. Unfortnately, that's almost more of a commentary on the continuing disappointment with Arcia than it is with Dubon's MLB upside.

Recent stuff I'd question is the promotion of some of the young players. I still think just about everything regarding the promotion of Grisham was odd. Gamel had done a really nice job for the Brewers when you look at his ability to get on base and play all the outfield spots. Did Stearns really think Grisham was going to OPS .950+ in his first go-around as a major leaguer? He had been on a tear in MiLB, but he didn't have nearly the track record or the reputation of someone like Hiura. And the pitching had been pretty lousy...so was this a "Grisham will OPS .950+ and we will just try to outslug everyone" attitude that was always saw during the Melvin era? Grisham hasn't been as good with the bat or the glove as Gamel has been. And now Grisham will have totaled somewhere around 60 days of service time that the Brewers will have to figure in the years of service and super 2 equations when they play those games down the road. I also question why they brought up Devin Williams when they did. It's one think to look at a guy's MiLB numbers, and a totally different thing to watch him pitch. Williams definitely has a MLB future, but the change-up does not look anywhere near MLB ready and his fastball command really isn't all that great. Have to question what people in the organization were saying that Williams should be on the MLB roster because everytime he's out there he looks shakey as can be. ERA has been hanging in there at a pretty good level, but with a 6.21 xFIP and 5 BB/9...just hasn't looked like a guy who should currently be in the majors.

I'm still solidly in Stearns corner.

I'd still project Dubon as more of a utility infielder. But with SS looking like a pretty significant hole and Turang still years away, I think it's perfectly legitimate for anyone to question trading Dubon away. Unfortnately, that's almost more of a commentary on the continuing disappointment with Arcia than it is with Dubon's MLB upside.

Recent stuff I'd question is the promotion of some of the young players. I still think just about everything regarding the promotion of Grisham was odd. Gamel had done a really nice job for the Brewers when you look at his ability to get on base and play all the outfield spots. Did Stearns really think Grisham was going to OPS .950+ in his first go-around as a major leaguer? He had been on a tear in MiLB, but he didn't have nearly the track record or the reputation of someone like Hiura. And the pitching had been pretty lousy...so was this a "Grisham will OPS .950+ and we will just try to outslug everyone" attitude that was always saw during the Melvin era? Grisham hasn't been as good with the bat or the glove as Gamel has been. And now Grisham will have totaled somewhere around 60 days of service time that the Brewers will have to figure in the years of service and super 2 equations when they play those games down the road. I also question why they brought up Devin Williams when they did. It's one think to look at a guy's MiLB numbers, and a totally different thing to watch him pitch. Williams definitely has a MLB future, but the change-up does not look anywhere near MLB ready and his fastball command really isn't all that great. Have to question what people in the organization were saying that Williams should be on the MLB roster because everytime he's out there he looks shakey as can be. ERA has been hanging in there at a pretty good level, but with a 6.21 xFIP and 5 BB/9...just hasn't looked like a guy who should currently be in the majors.

Well ... Devin Williams isn't currently in the big leagues, so ...

Name the GM in the history of the game that has had every single move they make turn out in their favor..........I'll wait..........

Holding up the Dubon trade (as one that MAY not work out) is the epitome of the example that proves the point. This board is really bad at taking small sample sizes and trying to make a point. Of all the players that Stearns has traded away or let walk, who exactly are we missing? Miley, Dubon? Stearns is fine.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Name the GM in the history of the game that has had every single move they make turn out in their favor..........I'll wait..........

Holding up the Dubon trade (as one that MAY not work out) is the epitome of the example that proves the point. This board is really bad at taking small sample sizes and trying to make a point. Of all the players that Stearns has traded away or let walk, who exactly are we missing? Miley, Dubon? Stearns is fine.

I have no real opinion one way or another, but Miley would have been a HUGE get if we had signed him. HUGE!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I have no real opinion one way or another, but Miley would have been a HUGE get if we had signed him. HUGE!

Why? It's been noted time again that Houston drastically changed his approach when he went to Houston. Are you saying the Brewers staff would have made the same changes and he would have performed to the exact same level as he has with Hosuton? If the pitching god we had for a coach last year couldn't figure it out, what makes you think our "should be fired" current pitching coach was going to figure that out?

Even assuming that, there wasn't exactly a board wide cry for keeping Miley. There were those that would have liked to keep him, sure but not one of those people were predicting Miley to be what he is this year. Given all of that I think calling Miley a miss is a marginal ding against Stearns and Dubon is a dubious ding at best. Outside of that, what player that he has traded or let walk are we really missing?

I still have confidence in him. He's smart enough, and I think flexible enough to see what works and what doesn't, and to act accordingly.

It's a shame that Yelich's historic season was wasted by being surrounded by so many under achievers, but they're not tied to any regrettable long term contracts, so he can rebuild or retool with freedom.

Unfortunately, his farm system is very unproductive, and there doesn't appear to be any impactful players ready to arrive soon, so there might be some lean years ahead. The Brewers have a lot of 30+ year olds while the rest of baseball is getting younger.

Khris Davis and Scooter Gennett were certainly missed at one time. They obviously aren't anymore.

I never said Stearns isn't fine. I like Stearns, a lot. Just because I didn't individuality like the Dubon deal doesn't mean I want Stearns gone.

Dubon has started 7 games for SF so far.

His first three he hit 200/200/400.

His last four he hit 462/462/1077.

Mauricio has been killing it for four whole games.

He also has yet to walk in 25 MLB PAs.

Dubon might never walk a lot. I don't really know. Or he might develop a better eye at the plate like he's developed more power this year. Keston Hiura hardly walked when he came up, too.

It's obviously super early to see what Dubon will be, but I think it's a good sign for him that he isn't being overmatched by MLB pitching - heck, he went 3 for 4 with Clayton Kershaw on the mound last night. He also would have filled a need here both as a righty and SS.

One thing I'd like to point out about Dubon and what he projects to be is that he has strongly exceeded projections at every single level since he was drafted. He was never even supposed to be here.

Khris Davis and Scooter Gennett were certainly missed at one time. They obviously aren't anymore.

I never said Stearns isn't fine. I like Stearns, a lot. Just because I didn't individuality like the Dubon deal doesn't mean I want Stearns gone.

Nobody wanted Gennett at the time he was released. There was a lot of hindsight once he blew up in Cincinatti but he's a turned back into a pumpkin and I don't recall anyone predicting his offensive out break. Davis was traded because he's a DH. We don't play with a DH. In either case, given how things worked out, I'm not trading Yelich and Hiura for Davis and Gennett.

Suggesting that we wouldn't have traded for Yelich if we hadn't traded Davis is already quite a reach. Suggesting we wouldn't have drafted Hiura if we had kept Gennett is really over the top.

We can't assume certain hypothetical outcomes based on things that didn't happen. Maybe we would have traded Braun to the Dodgers in 2016 if we hadn't traded Davis and maybe that package would have been a big win for us. Maybe we would have traded Villar at his peak pre-2017 if we had kept Gennett. We just don't know.

Suggesting that we wouldn't have traded for Yelich if we hadn't traded Davis is already quite a reach. Suggesting we wouldn't have drafted Hiura if we had kept Gennett is really over the top.

We can't assume certain hypothetical outcomes based on things that didn't happen. Maybe we would have traded Braun to the Dodgers in 2016 if we hadn't traded Davis and maybe that package would have been a big win for us. Maybe we would have traded Villar at his peak pre-2017 if we had kept Gennett. We just don't know.

So is suggesting that Miley would have made a HUGE difference.

Yep, that's fair too. Miley doesn't upset me that much. I never would have imagined that Burnes and Peralta would flop so bad as starters.

Yep, that's fair too. Miley doesn't upset me that much. I never would have imagined that Burnes and Peralta would flop so bad as starters.

Agreed which leads to my biggest issue with Stearns which is the lack of high end pitching acquisitions. I have a bigger problem with moves not made than I do with moves made.

Archived