Brewer Fanatic

2019-09-05: Cubs (Quintana) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 10-5]

Eye Black

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheap tickets out there for tonight’s game if you’re looking for something to do.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Optimist viewpoint, Quintana was not exceptionally sharp in his last start. He allowed a lot of baserunners and generally got hit hard. He did well to limit the damage though. Unfortunately, a good chunk of the guys doing the damage will not be playing today. And we'll likely be pretty lefty heavy...which is bad news against Quintana.

I do find it funny that Maddon keeps lining up Quintana (granted, sometimes it may just happen by dumb luck) against the Brewers. Yes, the Brewers struggle against lefties.

His his ERA is 3.04 against the Brewers since joining the Cubs which is nice but not that spectacular. If you take it from the middle of the 2018 season when the zomg they can't hit Quintana narrative began (I arbitrarily chose July 4), he actually has not been very good with a 4.37 ERA against the Brewers.

Point being, a lot of the dominance when this whole narrative began was against Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, Maldonado, Cody Ransom, Cesar Izturis. He threw 8 shutout innings against that group and 7 innings of 1 run ball against a team that had Hector Gomez, Adam Lind, Elian Herrera on it.

Then he got in with the Cubs and had 2 great starts against a Brewers team that does have some carryover with this one.

Point being in all of this: How good is Jose Quintana against the actual current crop of Brewers hitters? Slightly better than his career averages. But the stats always had to include the 2012/2015 games against teams with no carryover (other than Braun) because yeah, he must pitch really well against teams with blue and yellow jerseys or something.

Yea after those first couple ones late in the season he went to the Cubs it's been kinda normal. There was one at Wrigley where Braun hit 2 HRs off him early and they kinda lit him up.

For your carry over points and Braun being the only one, Braun has a 1.001 OPS vs him. Still, no Hiura right now really hurts in this matchup. Hope we're due for a good one tonight on him

Ugh. This is a massive mismatch in the Cubs favor.

We are the underdogs vs LHP, no doubt. No Hiura makes it worse. Anderson pitching makes it worser. Same tomorrow vs Hamels.

If Chase can keep the ball in the park, we got a chance to win this game, even vs a lefty. We have a good pinch hitter vs LHP in the dugout, hope he bats with runners on.

Craig Kimbrel was placed on the 10-day IL a few minutes ago. I am undecided as to whether this helps the Brewers' chances this weekend or hurts them ;)

Lol who would have guessed. You are right.

Not sure what the point is in putting a player on the DL in September with the unlimited rosters.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Craig Kimbrel was placed on the 10-day IL a few minutes ago. I am undecided as to whether this helps the Brewers' chances this weekend or hurts them ;)

Lol who would have guessed. You are right.

Not sure what the point is in putting a player on the DL in September with the unlimited rosters.

I think they needed to do it to recall Bote earlier then the 10 day waiting period.....

Always disappointing to watch a Cubs/Brewers game at Miller Park, and can't tell who the home team is by crowd noise. Actually, Cubs fans seem to always outnumber Brewers fans on their home turf when it comes to fans cheering.

sad.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Walks have been such a weakness for brewer pitching this season. Hard enough to limit runs with the juiced ball without being one of the worst teams in baseball at limiting walks.

Well, that and the hits and runs too.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived