Brewer Fanatic

Game 1: Packers @ Bears - Thursday, Sept 5th

homer
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree on the TD...saw it live and looked like a heave into traffic but the other DB had looked off the play and he threw Jimmy a jump ball. I'll take that chance every time. That's why we signed him.

Ok, like I said, it looked to me like it was a crowd, but I didn't go back and watch it and I HAVE said he needs to be more aggressive.

No but he's a punter.

That he is...probably the best we've had since Craig Hentrich. Wolf calls letting him go his biggest mistake. Though to be fair, I believe he's said that about a few things.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The garbage punter you're thinking about is probably Derrick Frost. We got rid of a very good Jon Ryan for him. Ryan went on to play a decade in Seattle while we moved on from Frost after one year. It was a bizarre move, even at the time. The ST coach at the time had some kind of fixation on Frost and wanted him the second he was available.

Savage has looked good (not just that last play either). Very active. Very quick.

Yes, confident, decisive. The scouting report said an Earl Thomas-type player and he was one of the guys moving up the draft boards very quickly. Now we see why.

The garbage punter you're thinking about is probably Derrick Frost. We got rid of a very good Jon Ryan for him. Ryan went on to play a decade in Seattle while we moved on from Frost after one year. It was a bizarre move, even at the time. The ST coach at the time had some kind of fixation on Frost and wanted him the second he was available.

That name still doesn't sound familar. I'll take your word for it, I just remember cutting Ryan. Ryan had a really up and down year the previous year, but that year took off with Seattle and as you said, was a fixture the next 10 years. And Ryan was physical.

That would have been really stupid to go for it there. Give the Bears the ball at mid-field with 55 seconds and 2 TO's in a defensive game.

I like them being aggressive, but get into the half with the D feeling well.

That name still doesn't sound familar. I'll take your word for it, I just remember cutting Ryan. Ryan had a really up and down year the previous year, but that year took off with Seattle and as you said, was a fixture the next 10 years. And Ryan was physical.

Frost was so bad he didn't make it through the year. They cut him in December and used Kapinos the rest of that season. It was 2008, Rodgers' first year as a starter.

Frost was so bad he didn't make it through the year. They cut him in December and used Kapinos the rest of that season. It was 2008, Rodgers' first year as a starter.

That’s the guy, couldn’t even last the year. There really aren’t many punter stats out there, but the ones available are on another level of sad for Frost that year.

Bears not exactly a powerhouse offense but there is at least reason to be optimistic about the Packers D for once. Decisive and fast in the secondary and getting adequate pressure often with just a base rush. When is the last time the latter was true? Parts of 2014 maybe with Peppers? I hope this isn't a mirage because the defense might actually be fun to watch for a change.

Biggest thing that jumps off the screen is the packers have speed everywhere on D, and their secondary has the personnel to play man coverage and let the safeties fly around instead of sitting 40 yards downfield to cover up blown coverages.

When your talent is better you don't have to get too cute overscheming.

I remember the situation, particularly because of how bad of a decision that ended up being.

I vaguely remember that, Ryan had a decent year in GB, if I recall correctly.

In that 100 moments in 100 seconds montage, I counted only 2 references to the Packers (Vince, Starr). 3 if you count Elway in XXXII. A guy who probably murdered someone (Lewis) was shown over Favre and Rodgers.

Not that it's all that relevant, but you gotta read up on the Ray Lewis situation a bit closer. Lewis pretty clearly did not murder anyone. He lied and obstructed justice...but he definitely didn't "murder" anyone.

Bears not exactly a powerhouse offense but there is at least reason to be optimistic about the Packers D for once. Decisive and fast in the secondary and getting adequate pressure often with just a base rush. When is the last time the latter was true? Parts of 2014 maybe with Peppers? I hope this isn't a mirage because the defense might actually be fun to watch for a change.

Clark has been dominant and the whole defense is playing fast and aggressive like you said.

I don't believe this is a mirage...I think they have a chance to continue to improve. Having King healthy would be key...he's really playing well. He and Alexander could really make a difference if he can stay on the field.

In that 100 moments in 100 seconds montage, I counted only 2 references to the Packers (Vince, Starr). 3 if you count Elway in XXXII. A guy who probably murdered someone (Lewis) was shown over Favre and Rodgers.

Not that it's all that relevant, but you gotta read up on the Ray Lewis situation a bit closer. Lewis pretty clearly did not murder anyone. He lied and obstructed justice...but he definitely didn't "murder" anyone.

Right, and I always throw my suit in the dumpster when I don’t murder anyone (sarcasm). JK, I’ll take your word for it. I just found his inclusion an odd choice, given the cloud that surrounds him.

I'm enjoying the defensive line collapsing the pocket. This is something we haven't seen for awhile.

Kenny Clark is a monster. And just 23.

Jimmy Graham forcing Roquan into giving up a BIG penalty!

Archived