Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall (who apparently wasn't retired) retiring as a Brewer today, Sept 4th

Baldkin
Regardless, very few people get pensions. You're Wife is extremely fortunate. It's down to like 5-6 pct of people in this country still earn pensions. Protected against bankruptcy, protected against lawsuit, they can't take it under any circumstance, correct? I mean...unless someone is embezzling from the company and steals the pension fund which has caused some enormous scandals.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but you seem to have a beef with anyone that collects a pension. Yes, I'm completely aware of the rarity of pension plans (I work for a financial consulting firm and the majority of our clients are retirement plans, including a few pension plans - most of which are "winding down"). My wife has been with the company she currently works with for over 30 years. Like many companies, they discontinued the pension plan for new employees over 10 years ago, but existing employees (including my wife) were grandfathered in.

My post was in response to an assumption that it did not matter when a player retired in regards to their pension. That does appear to be correct, but based on the document I linked in post 17, it does matter when players start collecting. The earliest they can start collecting is 45 and the longer they wait, the larger the pension amount (similar to how wife's pension plan works).

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the topic with boring pension plan talk. Was just curious, like others, why Bill Hall waited so long to "officially" retire and was wondering if it had something to do with his pension. That does not appear to be the case.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I see no problem with it & surprised to see so many people negative over it. He was one of the first homegrown guys in that wave that changed this franchise. He played at All-Star level for few seasons. He was a better Perez who played everyday at usually a different position for awhile. I’m sure it was him who brought it up & I was surprised to see it when it popped up today but I loved Hall! He was a favorite of mine in high school. Good for him! He brought some really great moments during a time that Brewer baseball was beginning to become exciting again!

Agreed.

Did it cost the Brewers anything to do this? No.

Does it look good to fans? Yeah.

Could it build good will with players to see this sort of thing? Possibly?

Could that good will make the difference in, say, signing Hiura to an extension? Maybe.

And for those last two answers, doing this thing that pretty much cost the Brewers nothing is a good move.

Regardless, very few people get pensions. You're Wife is extremely fortunate. It's down to like 5-6 pct of people in this country still earn pensions. Protected against bankruptcy, protected against lawsuit, they can't take it under any circumstance, correct? I mean...unless someone is embezzling from the company and steals the pension fund which has caused some enormous scandals.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but you seem to have a beef with anyone that collects a pension. Yes, I'm completely aware of the rarity of pension plans (I work for a financial consulting firm and the majority of our clients are retirement plans, including a few pension plans - most of which are "winding down"). My wife has been with the company she currently works with for over 30 years. Like many companies, they discontinued the pension plan for new employees over 10 years ago, but existing employees (including my wife) were grandfathered in.

My post was in response to an assumption that it did not matter when a player retired in regards to their pension. That does appear to be correct, but based on the document I linked in post 17, it does matter when players start collecting. The earliest they can start collecting is 45 and the longer they wait, the larger the pension amount (similar to how wife's pension plan works).

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the topic with boring pension plan talk. Was just curious, like others, why Bill Hall waited so long to "officially" retire and was wondering if it had something to do with his pension. That does not appear to be the case.

Patrick425 - I think you are reading HighAndTight's post incorrectly. He was just saying how difficult it is to get an iron-clad pension nowadays, because business and corporations have used every possible legal maneuver to get out from under having to pay promised pensions. His happiness for you and your Wife was legitimate.

Patrick425 - I think you are reading HighAndTight's post incorrectly. He was just saying how difficult it is to get an iron-clad pension nowadays, because business and corporations have used every possible legal maneuver to get out from under having to pay promised pensions. His happiness for you and your Wife was legitimate.

Keston Hiura couldn’t give two rips about Bill Hall or him getting a retirement day. We are really stretching it at this point.

I think the Brewers need to build up good will with players - that sort of thing matters to an extent. Why did Moose come back for a bargain deal this past spring? Why did Gio decide to come back after the Yankees let him go? Remember Wade Wiley sticking up for Stearns recently?

Sometimes it's those little things.

It takes two to agree to a contract to bring a free agent to Milwaukee OR to agree on a contract extension.

This day for Hall cost the Crew very little, but there is a chance that it will secure gains down the road.

Keston Hiura couldn’t give two rips about Bill Hall or him getting a retirement day. We are really stretching it at this point.

Players goes where the money is. Every now and then a guy like Jared Weaver takes a little to stay with a team and sometimes a veteran takes less from a winning team to get a title but 99% of players are going with whoever offers the most money. At no point in his life, even now probably, has Manny Machado felt a desire to play for the Padres but they offered him the most money so that's where he is.

Archived