Brewer Fanatic

2019-09-03: Astros (Greinke) at Brewers (Lyles) [Brewers win, 4-2]

Eye Black
I'm not sure what good it's doing Shaw to keep running him out there against mlb pitching at this point. I mean sure he may run into one here and there but there is no evidence the guy belongs in the big leagues much less playing in important games. One of the worst offensive season in history.

You have to wonder what the hell happened here. Two good seasons and then he is absolute garbage.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing Edwin Diaz season makes me feel better about Corbin Burnes a little. Wow.

And the fact that Mickey Callaway continues to stay with him in late inning and closing situation makes me feel way better about Counsell's bullpen usage.

True. Says something about how guys with great stuff get chance after chance because you can't believe they aren't good. It's crazy but it happens a ton.

Why am I more afraid of the Marlins than I am of the Cubs?
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

just curious, but technically could the Braun near homer (caught when Springer left the game) have been ruled a live ball? Springer came down with it and almost immediately took his glove off (with ball in it). I know it's an odd circumstance, but the caught ball wasn't shown to be secure in the glove before it came off. I'm thinking that if a glove is thrown at a ball and the ball lodges in the glove, it's not a catch. So perhaps this shouldn't be? Regardless, Brewers won and hope Springer isn't out long.

just curious, but technically could the Braun near homer (caught when Springer left the game) have been ruled a live ball? Springer came down with it and almost immediately took his glove off (with ball in it). I know it's an odd circumstance, but the caught ball wasn't shown to be secure in the glove before it came off. I'm thinking that if a glove is thrown at a ball and the ball lodges in the glove, it's not a catch. So perhaps this shouldn't be? Regardless, Brewers won and hope Springer isn't out long.

Maybe, technically, but IMHO it would have been the wrong call. The rule talks about dropping the ball immediately after running into a wall or falling, and he didn’t drop the ball. He seemed to take his hand out of his glove intentionally or reflexively to put his hand to his head. He had firm control of the ball before taking his hand out of his glove. The fact that the ball stayed in his glove after he took his hand out to me shows how firm his control of the ball was.

Throwing a glove at the ball is something completely different and that obviously didn’t happen here.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

The ball never touched the ground and was secured in his glove. It is not a requirement for a catch that the ball be show before he takes his glove off, nor is technically a requirement for him to show the ball.

He satisfied the requirement for the catch and the umpire ran out to verify.

Had the ball popped out when he took the glove off and set it down before the umpire could get out there to visually verify then it might have been a little murkier but it never even touched the ground.

Archived