Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire JP Feyereisen from Yankees for Brenny Escanio

markedman5

Feyereisen, a native of River Falls, Wisconsin, posted a promising 2.49 ERA with 94 strikeouts in 61 1/3 innings of relief this season at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He was a 16th-round pick of the Indians in the 2014 MLB Draft and got dealt to the Yankees in July 2016 as part of the Andrew Miller trade.

Source: Yankees PR on Twitter

Sep 2, 2019, 11:37 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Mid 90's fastball with an occasional 100 MPH he also throws a slider which is below average still a work in progress and a very rarely used change up which is probably horrible. He will need to improve on either his slider or his change up if he is going to be a MLB pitcher. He profiles as a reliever as he only has one pitch that is at least average everything else is below average. If he can get his slider to an average pitch he should be a good RHP option out of the bullpen.

He can be wild at times and will walk batters but he does strike out a lot of batters so far in ~60IP he has struck out 94 and has walked 31. Currently has a WHIP of 1.11 and an ERA of 2.49 in AAA.

Feyereisen will also need to be added to the 40-man this off season as he is rule 5 eligible I believe.

Yes, JP is eligible to play for the Brewers this season.

He is not eligible for a post season roster if the Brewers make the playoffs this year...

I really like the pickup from the Brewer perspective..

Yes, for sure.

Not much opportunity for him to move up in the Yankees organization, not with their stacked bullpen, and they weren’t gonna add him to their 40 to protect him rule 5 wise this offseason, Yankees really need the international bonus $, so just a great trade by Stearns. I think there going to drop another off the 40 for him(Saladino?)And bring him up.

Is he allowed to be added to the 40 man roster this season? Given that this trade is after the trade deadline

it was a trade of players that weren't on 40-man rosters in 2019--that's what allowed for the trade to happen.

either club can add the newly acquired player to its 40-man roster at any time. i misread the previous post for eligibility on postseason play, and have since edited it.

neither player is eligible for postseason play, but could be used through game 162, or game 163, if necessary.

Is he allowed to be added to the 40 man roster this season? Given that this trade is after the trade deadline

it was a trade of players that weren't on 40-man rosters in 2019--that's what allowed for the trade to happen.

either club can add the newly acquired player to its 40-man roster at any time. i misread the previous post for eligibility on postseason play, and have since edited it.

neither player is eligible for postseason play, but could be used through game 162, or game 163, if necessary.

Got it, thank you for the clarification.

He is not eligible for a post season roster if the Brewers make the playoffs this year...

There is a back door way that you can get anyone onto your postseason roster. Kansas City even did this once to get one of their minor league pitching prospects into a World Series game in 2015. What you do is pick someone on your current MLB roster who you know you don't want to use and put them on the 60-day injured list. You're allowed to replace injured players with anyone from your entire organization regardless of what level they were at. The only drawback is the "injured" player is done for the season and can't be recalled for any reason.

There is a back door way that you can get anyone onto your postseason roster. Kansas City even did this once to get one of their minor league pitching prospects into a World Series game in 2015. What you do is pick someone on your current MLB roster who you know you don't want to use and put them on the 60-day injured list. You're allowed to replace injured players with anyone from your entire organization regardless of what level they were at. The only drawback is the "injured" player is done for the season and can't be recalled for any reason.

I believe that loophole was partially closed with the trade deadline changes this year.

Yes a player on the 60 day IL can be replaced by someone in the organization but for post-season eligibility that player had to be part of the organization (not necessarily on the 40 man roster) before 9/1.

JP would not meet that 9/1 deadline (being acquired on 9/2/19)..

My name is Steve Manfred (no relation to Rob), and I work in the press box at the baseball field here in River Falls, WI for our high school, Legion, and amateur town ball teams. I know JP's parents a little bit through that, and I've been keeping a close eye on his progress. It had been a frustrating year from our perspective in that he was putting up the best numbers of any reliever at the Yankees' AAA club and got named to the All-Star Team for the International League, yet because they didn't have him on their 40-man roster and had a lot invested in those who they already did have on it, he never got a call-up. I also get the feeling that someone at their MLB level has certain "projection" pigeonholes they put people in and stubbornly stick to them even when the evidence in the real games is saying something else. Certainly the Yankees' fan forum that's the equivalent of this one was full of fans who wanted to see Feyereisen get a call-up as opposed to the guys they did bring up, and they were upset with this trade.

His season was stellar from April to July, with his WHIP even going just under 1.00 at one point. They always put him in in "high-leverage" situations, as they call them, protecting a tie or small lead in the late innings. He stumbled just a bit in late July and early August, particularly in a string of extra inning games they wound up in, where this year in the Int. League they've been using the "pace of play" runner rule, where you start extra innings with a runner on 2nd base. His walks rate climbed somewhat trying to keep that extra runner put, and one of his two losses was in one of these games. (iirc, they did an intentional walk to fill first base, then put an extreme right shift on the next batter and he poked one up the left side where there was no one to field it, scoring the go-ahead runs) He finally solved that problem the third time it came around, and then his late August to September was more like his early part of the season had been. He finished with 10 wins, more than anyone else on that club.

I saw upthread that someone has quoted that scouting report on him that basically says he really needs to work on his slider. That report is outdated - I first read that language before this season started, and it's been cut-and-pasted by people into other reports and stories multiple times. A major reason he had such great success this season was he had in fact worked on and greatly improved his slider.

Two days before the trade, he was named to Team USA. I suppose the Brewers will now have to consent to his participation, but if they give it, he'll be pitching with Team USA in a qualification tournament taking place in Mexico this coming November. This is to qualify the USA to be in the tournament at the Olympics in Tokyo in 2020. Win this tournament, and the US in in. There are two more chances to get in after this.

A couple of other facts about him you don't see in the usual media... he played for one summer in amateur ball when he was 18 and just before he went to UW-Stevens Point. This was for the River Falls Fighting Fish that won the WBA state championship that year, 2011.

He also played in the Northwoods League for the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters. He was in just a handful of games in 2012, but played a full summer season with them in 2013, where they used him as a closer. His season line there was 22 games, 31.0 IP, 17 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 9 BB, 38 SO, 3 wins, 1 loss, 11 saves, 1.16 ERA, and he made the All-Star Game in Eau Claire that year. (got to see that one myself - pitched a 1-2-3 inning, iirc)

The rest of his career is easily look-up-able as it's all been with teams in the affiliated minor leagues, first in the Cleveland system, then in the Yankees.

He's had one significant injury. In 2018 his performance took a serious downturn in August, and it turned out it was because he had a bone chip in his throwing elbow. Yankees medical staff had that removed in the off-season, and as far as I know he's had no ill effects since. Certainly this season's numbers don't show anything wrong.

Thanks for the first hand account, Steve. Always nice to have that sort of context.

Stearns & company have been pretty decent mining guys from other organizations that were blocked for whatever reason & just needed an opportunity. Hopefully JP is another such case.

I believe that loophole was partially closed with the trade deadline changes this year.

Yes a player on the 60 day IL can be replaced by someone in the organization but for post-season eligibility that player had to be part of the organization (not necessarily on the 40 man roster) before 9/1.

JP would not meet that 9/1 deadline (being acquired on 9/2/19)..

I originally learned about this loophole from reading Lavelle E. Neil III, the Minnesota Twins daily beat writer for the Minneapolis Star Tribune (also has a vote for the Hall of Fame). I asked him today on Twitter if what you said about the postseason eligibility loophole changing this year is true or not, and he’s just answered me to say it’s not. JP, or anyone else traded like this, would indeed be postseason eligible if they are promoted replacing someone on the 60-day IL. (Not that I expect this to happen, of course.)

EDITED TO ADD:

And now he’s just tweeted me again saying sorry, that was a typo, and such players cannot play in the postseason after all. Never mind everyone, as you were.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article in our local newspaper about the JP Feyereisen trade. One thing I'll highlight before the link is that JP has indeed been "shut down" by the Brewers for the remainder of the season. (I think you all could've guessed that at this point, though.)

https://www.rivertowns.net/sports/baseball/4664988-Look-who%E2%80%99s-coming-home-River-Falls%E2%80%99-Feyereisen-named-to-Team-USA-traded-to-Brewers-in-same-weekend

Here's an article in our local newspaper about the JP Feyereisen trade. One thing I'll highlight before the link is that JP has indeed been "shut down" by the Brewers for the remainder of the season. (I think you all could've guessed that at this point, though.)

https://www.rivertowns.net/sports/baseball/4664988-Look-who%E2%80%99s-coming-home-River-Falls%E2%80%99-Feyereisen-named-to-Team-USA-traded-to-Brewers-in-same-weekend

Not that I have to worry about this, but if my son was in the Yankees farm system, there still is no way I would buy Yankee merchandise. Maybe if the son was on the major league roster and it was his specifically his jersey..... still I don't know if I could bring myself. I grew up with the evil empire and 1981, etc

Not that I have to worry about this, but if my son was in the Yankees farm system, there still is no way I would buy Yankee merchandise. Maybe if the son was on the major league roster and it was his specifically his jersey..... still I don't know if I could bring myself. I grew up with the evil empire and 1981, etc

That's a great hypothetical. I probably would, simply because, how many might ever actually make it. I would probably adopt the Yankees as my 2nd favorite team.

Here's a good question - Your son plays for the Yankees and they play the Crew in the World Series. Who do you cheer for?

That's a great hypothetical. I probably would, simply because, how many might ever actually make it. I would probably adopt the Yankees as my 2nd favorite team.

Here's a good question - Your son plays for the Yankees and they play the Crew in the World Series. Who do you cheer for?

Obviously you gotta root for your sons team. We've seen enough stories of lifelong Red Sox fans ending up playing for the Yanks, or vice versa or really any rivalry. I mean....if Dick Butkus can root for the Packers because of family(who's not even actually playing) then if your son was on the Yanks, you'd be decked out head to toe in Yanks gear and be the biggest fan of the Yankees. I mean, think how proud you get when your son does anything. Now he's playing for the Yankees?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived