Brewer Fanatic

September callups: Nelson and Suter reinstated from IL, Peralta, Faria, Freitas recalled from AAA, Tyler Austin selected from AAA

Lathund

See! I told everyone Freitas would be called up. Here's to him hitting 20 homers and .500 for the month while playing SS, catcher and 1b
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Tyler Austin is an interesting choice. Apparently Austin > Stokes. He at least fits a positional need. His career OPS vs LH in the majors is 865 (241 PA). Stokes will be missed. I liked the power/speed ability, but he had enough other warts that I can see this. Wilkerson time was due. He filled an organization need (mopup after an extra innings game).

I know that the baseball seems to be juiced at the AAA level this year also, so does Friatas' hitting translate more to prime Piazza or maybe a downside w/ less power a la prime Lucroy?

Can'ta wait to see this guy play!

Pretty much comes down to him still being a AAAA level catcher when he faces mlb pitching, probably. Here's hoping he stays hot and provides some meaningful hits down the stretch, and he becomes a viable option as 2nd catcher on the 2020 roster after Grandal likely leaves. Rooting for the guy to do well, but being realistic on how much he is actually going to play - if they felt he was a better option than what they had on the mlb roster on aud 31st, he would have been up long ago.

I know that the baseball seems to be juiced at the AAA level this year also, so does Friatas' hitting translate more to prime Piazza or maybe a downside w/ less power a la prime Lucroy?

Can'ta wait to see this guy play!

Pretty much comes down to him still being a AAAA level catcher when he faces mlb pitching, probably. Here's hoping he stays hot and provides some meaningful hits down the stretch, and he becomes a viable option as 2nd catcher on the 2020 roster after Grandal likely leaves. Rooting for the guy to do well, but being realistic on how much he is actually going to play - if they felt he was a better option than what they had on the mlb roster on aud 31st, he would have been up long ago.

I think we saw how much the organization thinks of Freitas' catching ability. Playing Grandal behind the plate in a day game following a night game and using Thames at 1B against a lefty shows that CC has no vision of using Freitas behind the plate in a very meaningful game. Maybe tomorrow agains the Marlins Freitas plays and Grandal rests.

Archived