Brewer Fanatic

Brewers designate Wilkerson, Stokes

reillymcshane

Wilkerson I could go either way on.

Stokes, OTOH, would be a huge loss if someone else claims him. Had some injury problems early, but is a poor man's LoCain with more power and less contact hitting.

Cain is an elite defensive CF. Stokes is a left fielder due to his arm. A player like Stokes needs to hit *much* better than a player like Cain to be as valuable.

Wilkerson I could go either way on.

Stokes, OTOH, would be a huge loss if someone else claims him. Had some injury problems early, but is a poor man's LoCain with more power and less contact hitting.

Cain is an elite defensive CF. Stokes is a left fielder due to his arm. A player like Stokes needs to hit *much* better than a player like Cain to be as valuable.

I did say poor man's LoCain.

He's good with OBP skills. Not so much on the hit for average, but he also has speed - and played some CF.

I suppose I'd say he's more a Brady Clark who traded the hit-for-average tool for a better power bat.

I never understood what people here saw in Stokes. There's still time as he's only 23, I guess, but he's a guy who's never OPS'd over 800 at any level. I mean, 4th and 5th OF's are the one position that actually does grow on trees and that's what he likely is at peak based on his performance to date. Definitely not a huge loss.

I never understood what people here saw in Stokes. There's still time as he's only 23, I guess, but he's a guy who's never OPS'd over 800 at any level. I mean, 4th and 5th OF's are the one position that actually does grow on trees and that's what he likely is at peak based on his performance to date. Definitely not a huge loss.

I agree. Stokes was their #20 prospect. He's a 40 hit and 40 arm guy who tops out at maybe a 5th OF. No loss if somebody else picks him up.

I agree. Stokes was their #20 prospect. He's a 40 hit and 40 arm guy who tops out at maybe a 5th OF. No loss if somebody else picks him up.

Another+1.

Stokes is an outfielder without big power, without excellent speed, and without big OBP numbers.

To make matters worse he's not a big dude, so it is doubtful there is upside.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have generally viewed Stokes as a backup OF. He offered a nice blend of speed and power, and took his walks, but the hit tool wasn't great, and his defense was limiting due to his weak arm.

Even if he didn't hit a lot, he was pretty consistent, and I liked how he maintained his production going up the minor league ladder. However, this year was tough. He's not been good. But in his defense, he had multiple injuries early on, and it hurt this production. He's hit better in the 2nd half of this year (.763 OPS), but not really that good considering the numbers being put up in the PCL.

Due to the injuries, I really thought he'd be given a mulligan this year - but I guess not.

I have generally viewed Stokes as a backup OF. He offered a nice blend of speed and power, and took his walks, but the hit tool wasn't great, and his defense was limiting due to his weak arm.

Even if he didn't hit a lot, he was pretty consistent, and I liked how he maintained his production going up the minor league ladder. However, this year was tough. He's not been good. But in his defense, he had multiple injuries early on, and it hurt this production. He's hit better in the 2nd half of this year (.763 OPS), but not really that good considering the numbers being put up in the PCL.

Due to the injuries, I really thought he'd be given a mulligan this year - but I guess not.

he can be. he won't be claimed. He'll make it through the Rule 5 draft. He'll be in San Antonio next year

he can be. he won't be claimed. He'll make it through the Rule 5 draft. He'll be in San Antonio next year

Or he will be claimed by the Tigers....

troy stokes, jr. has been claimed off waivers by detroit.

Ehh ... Stokes has some talent, and I guess is still young enough at 23 to put things together. But he isn't a good enough defender to regularly play CF, and he just doesn't have the offensive upside and profile to ever really be a regular in the corner OF. Hate to lose talented players, but that's part of the business.

Contrary to others I am disappointed they lost him. It is not like the Brewers have a good farm system, would not have been difficult to get rid of somebody else with no options (looking at you Saladino) that has zero future with the Brewers. Obviously did not get far in waiver priority since the worst team in the league picked him up.

Ehh ... Stokes has some talent, and I guess is still young enough at 23 to put things together. But he isn't a good enough defender to regularly play CF, and he just doesn't have the offensive upside and profile to ever really be a regular in the corner OF. Hate to lose talented players, but that's part of the business.

Stokes won a Rawling Gold Glove Award as a Minor Leaguer in AA Last Year

https://www.milb.com/biloxi/news/troy-stokes-jr-awarded-rawlings-gold-glove/c-297386960

Stokes won a Rawling Gold Glove Award as a Minor League in AA Last Year

https://www.milb.com/biloxi/news/troy-stokes-jr-awarded-rawlings-gold-glove/c-297386960

As a corner outfielder.

Obviously did not get far in waiver priority since the worst team in the league picked him up.

all national league teams took a pass on stokes. a player placed on outright waivers is first offered to the waiving team's league--worst to first. detroit had first dibs after he cleared the national league.

Contrary to others I am disappointed they lost him. It is not like the Brewers have a good farm system, would not have been difficult to get rid of somebody else with no options (looking at you Saladino) that has zero future with the Brewers. Obviously did not get far in waiver priority since the worst team in the league picked him up.

I'll put a plus one here.

Looking over the entirety of his numbers, this was a (very rare) bad roster move on the part of Stearns. Stokes had speed, OBP skills, and had developed power. If he'd been given that mulligan, I think by 2020 he develops as the kind of player who could give Gresham and Cain rest, or who could boost the team against tough lefties.

This one's gonna sting bad a few years.

Stokes won a Rawling Gold Glove Award as a Minor League in AA Last Year

As a corner outfielder.

Still, for him to be picked as one of the best defensive players in AA DESPITE being in left field (now, grantedm the other two OFs in the Biloxi outfield were Corey Ray and Trent Grisham) says a lot about his skills.

The Shuckers that year had an immensely talented outfield.

Think it comes down to the roster spots - of Stokes, Taylor, and Ray (who needs to be put on the 40 this off-season), there's room for one, maybe two. I'd probably have gone with Stokes over Taylor, though we don't know if there will end up being room for either of them. The other consideration, as others noted, is that fourth outfielders are all too common. I mean, we're deciding between three here, Cooper Hummel put up a .835 OPS in the Southern League which is not easy, and most organizations have the same surplus going on and will be DFAing/not protecting/selling cheaply if we ever had the need.

Think it comes down to the roster spots - of Stokes, Taylor, and Ray (who needs to be put on the 40 this off-season), there's room for one, maybe two. I'd probably have gone with Stokes over Taylor, though we don't know if there will end up being room for either of them. The other consideration, as others noted, is that fourth outfielders are all too common. I mean, we're deciding between three here, Cooper Hummel put up a .835 OPS in the Southern League which is not easy, and most organizations have the same surplus going on and will be DFAing/not protecting/selling cheaply if we ever had the need.

I think Taylor ranks higher than Stokes simply because he has the ability to play all three OF positions well defensively. He's the best defender of the three. Probably the most upside as an all-around hitter as well. That said, none of those guys had very good seasons, other than Taylor for about the last 3 weeks or so.

Archived