Brewer Fanatic

Lyles extension?

Oxy
This is all under a pay wall with the Athletic but Robert Murray had a podcast on the 16th indicating the Brewers are in preliminary talks for a new deal with Lyles, no money mentioned. He also just did an article on Lyles where he mentioned the Astros showed strong interest in Lyles before the Brewers swooped in and made a deal. Also gave credit to Grandal in Lyles improvement and the confidence in Lyles curveball.

This is wonderful news, looks like it might get done.

Lyles Woodruff Houser Burnes, that’s some serious talent in the rotation moving forward. This pitching staff might not need much upgrading after all. Lots of options for Stearns this offseason. Do we take the option on Anderson or save the 8.5? Keep or trade Davies? Try to re-sign Gio? Sign another FA pitcher for the rotation?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is all under a pay wall with the Athletic but Robert Murray had a podcast on the 16th indicating the Brewers are in preliminary talks for a new deal with Lyles, no money mentioned. He also just did an article on Lyles where he mentioned the Astros showed strong interest in Lyles before the Brewers swooped in and made a deal. Also gave credit to Grandal in Lyles improvement and the confidence in Lyles curveball.

Lyles Woodruff Houser Burnes, that’s some serious talent in the rotation moving forward. This pitching staff might not need much upgrading after all. Lots of options for Stearns this offseason. Do we take the option on Anderson or save the 8.5? Keep or trade Davies? Try to re-sign Gio? Sign another FA pitcher for the rotation?

I have said it before, but I almost feel it is an afterthought they are declining the option on Anderson (or trading him if someone wants him for that price). They could sign a Lyles/Gio for similar money I’d imagine, worst case.

They simply don’t like Anderson. Very rarely letting him go more than 4/5 innings even when cruising. They don’t want a pitcher who only goes two times through the line up making 30 starts. Only reason it happened this year is by need. I don’t see them paying $8.5mil to stash him in the pen if we need him due to serious need again.

They seem to like Lyles and trust him a lot more. I fully expect the Anderson money to go into a different rotation arm this winter. Be that Lyles or someone else. I don’t think I’d expect a return of Gio...much like Anderson the leash is very short on him.

I could be wrong, but I feel at the $8mil price tag they will find someone they like more.

Appreciate the optimism, and while you didn't necessarily say he's be in from the jump, there's no way I see Burnes being in the rotation out of Spring Training next year. That's much too risky as we saw this year. Best case for him is starting the year out in the pen or regrouping in the rotation at AAA and maybe even AA as some have suggested employing the Doc Halladay strategy.

Archived