Brewer Fanatic

Lyles extension?

Oxy
BC92 isn't crazy about wanting extend Lyles. I'm not sure how far the needle has moved to try to get it done ASAP...but that is all part of timing it right. If he pitches lights out through September he might be more expensive than we think. That's a big "if" though. The track record just doesn't scream multiple year contract.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd be good with bringing him back next year. His peripherals this year don't show that he's anything more than he's ever been, which is a pretty mediocre pitcher. 32 innings in a Brewers uniform where he's out-performed his secondary stats don't mean a hill of beans compared to 8 years of previous data. Again, I'm good with bringing him back on a one year deal. Let's see if the guy can be a solid 3-4 for an entire year.

If he prices himself out of Milwaukee..... so be it.

BC92 isn't crazy about wanting extend Lyles. I'm not sure how far the needle has moved to try to get it done ASAP...but that is all part of timing it right. If he pitches lights out through September he might be more expensive than we think. That's a big "if" though. The track record just doesn't scream multiple year contract.

Thank you for your reasonable take.

3 at 12, 3 at 15, Get the best 3 year deal we can. Like I already said earlier, if starting doesn’t work out he’s a good proven pen arm.

IF the Crew can get him for 3/$13.5 million or 2/$10 million, they should.

At worst, Lyles is a swing man on the staff - and if he pitches like he has with Milwaukee (both stints), he will be a very valuable member of the staff in 2020-2021.

1yr- $3.5M with a team option for year 2 at $5M. Anything more and you go find another arm. This guy is a -2.5 WAR in his career. He hasn’t earned any sort of security.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Chacin type contract makes sense.

I'd go no more than $5 million AAV on a deal and three years at most (maybe a team option or two).

I also want to be able to bring Gio back as well to keep the depth going (arguably on a 3/$10.5 or 2/$8 deal).

I'd go no more than $5 million AAV on a deal and three years at most (maybe a team option or two).

I also want to be able to bring Gio back as well to keep the depth going (arguably on a 3/$10.5 or 2/$8 deal).

There are only so many roster spots for veteran depth that is unoptionable...

1yr- $3.5M with a team option for year 2 at $5M. Anything more and you go find another arm. This guy is a -2.5 WAR in his career. He hasn’t earned any sort of security.

No he hasn't. Certainly not a 2 year 15.5 million dollar deal. Maybe you give him 5 million for a year now and then a team option at 7-8 million with a 1.5 buyout. That'd probably be as high as I'd want to go. There are so many pitchers in this free agent class.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

2 years at 11 mil. With a 3rd year team option at 7 mil. 1 mil. Buyout. This is the offer before he hits free agency. Preferably now. If he’s the pitcher he’s been all along with the crew we got a steal. If not he’s a well paid arm in the pen.

I was thinking more of the 2 years as the maximum. Agree he doesn't quite have the resume for 2/15. More like 2/8 or 2/9. It's not like the Brewers are spending a lot on starting pitching, and can't afford a million or two a year overpay. He's had a good year and his rebound from a rough month prior to the deal is quite impressive.

I am trying to figure out how there is a cult following to extend Jordan Lyles to a 2-3 year extension after 5 starts.

I guess two people can be a cult. Of course, one of those two seriously wants to play Moustakas at SS, while the other predicts superstardom for David Freitas.

Now we just need to find the lead cult guy who is giving them these ideas and trying to convert us.

I am trying to figure out how there is a cult following to extend Jordan Lyles to a 2-3 year extension after 5 starts.

I guess two people can be a cult. Of course, one of those two seriously wants to play Moustakas at SS, while the other predicts superstardom for David Freitas.

Ha, I think there are four. I guess I don't see the "no risk" and why not idea here. Jordan Lyles is going to start the most games in his career this year. The last time he started over 10 games in a year was 2014 and that was only 22. He is the definition of a journeyman veteran who somehow gets a job every year. His ERA with any team not named Milwaukee is mid 5's.

Is it just me or is every thread run by BC92 and one of his personal outside the box ideas? We must revolt!

The guy has been basically given away by 3 teams in the last 12 months. Three year double digit deal seems like a big stretch based on 6ish games. There is a more than healthy chance he gets beat up in 3 of his next 4 starts and this discussion is dead.

This same logic would have us still having Taylor Jungmann under contract at 5ish mil per year.

The guy has been basically given away by 3 teams in the last 12 months. Three year double digit deal seems like a big stretch based on 6ish games. There is a more than healthy chance he gets beat up in 3 of his next 4 starts and this discussion is dead.

This same logic would have us still having Taylor Jungmann under contract at 5ish mil per year.

The beauty of this Lyles becoming a solid starter before our eyes, is that Stearns predicted this before anyone else did. So I trust he’ll know what to do with Lyles moving forward. Trade deadline deals looking better every 5 days, and Pomeranz is looking like he’s gonna really help the pen these last 29 games, and maybe Black will too.

The beauty of this Lyles becoming a solid starter before our eyes, is that Stearns predicted this before anyone else did. So I trust he’ll know what to do with Lyles moving forward. Trade deadline deals looking better every 5 days, and Pomeranz is looking like he’s gonna really help the pen these last 29 games, and maybe Black will too.

But Stearns is an idiot isn't he? Stearns let the guy go rather than pay the whatever it was 3ish mil to keep him but now he's gonna give him 6 mil per year based on 6 starts. You can keep pounding this all you want but it's almost for sure not going to happen and Lyles is very unlikely to be a sub 4 ERA starting P if he pitches the whole year. The evidence is based on 900 innings of pitching that's resulted in a 5.2 ERA. Even in his current breakout year that warrants a multi year extension he has a 4.5 ERA with nothing special on peripherals.

But Stearns is an idiot isn't he? Stearns let the guy go rather than pay the whatever it was 3ish mil to keep him but now he's gonna give him 6 mil per year based on 6 starts. You can keep pounding this all you want but it's almost for sure not going to happen and Lyles is very unlikely to be a sub 4 ERA starting P if he pitches the whole year. The evidence is based on 900 innings of pitching that's resulted in a 5.2 ERA. Even in his current breakout year that warrants a multi year extension he has a 4.5 ERA with nothing special on peripherals.

I’ve NEVER said Stearns was an idiot.

After getting over my anger at some of his in-season roster decisions, I’ve already stated, I’ve changed my mind about wanting Stearns fired.

Like I said in my last post, I trust Stearns will know what to do with Lyles moving forward.

I never thought this was THAT crazy either. It wouldn't surprise me if a team gave him a 2 year deal in the $10-12 million range. I don't know that it's wise for the Brewers to spend that money that much money on a very questionable arm, but the upside he's shown can probably get him a deal in that range.

Yea I'd definitely want him back but I doubt this guy is getting anything guaranteed beyond one year. Maybe a team option after or something if he finishes strong. I just don't think the market for him would be that strong so you're bidding against yourself. But I for sure wouldn't be doing it now when you still have another month of sample to see how he does. If he returns to his normal form over the next 5 starts well then he'll be exactly what he's been his whole career. Very few guys miraculously find it his age and after this much time of not being good.

Conversely, could you imagine the bashing this guy would've gotten by some folks here after the stretch he had with Pit before we acquired him? It would've been a Stearns fireable offense that he was being trouted out there every start.

Lyles is making $2M this season. Now we want to give him $10+M? Yikes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yea I'd definitely want him back but I doubt this guy is getting anything guaranteed beyond one year. Maybe a team option after or something if he finishes strong. I just don't think the market for him would be that strong so you're bidding against yourself. But I for sure wouldn't be doing it now when you still have another of sample to see how he does. If he returns to his normal form over the next 5 starts well then he'll be exactly what he's been his whole career. Very few guys miraculously find it his age and after this much time of not being good.

Conversely, could you imagine the bashing this guy would've gotten by some folks here after the stretch he had with Pit before we acquired him? It would've been a Stearns fireable offense that he was being trouted out there every start.

Probably not only because we didn't give anything up and I think people saw the entire deadline as a joke not trying to actually improve. Hard to be that mad when a terrible pick up ends up terrible.

Jordan Lyles:

April: 2.42 ERA

May: 3.68 ERA

June: 6.00 ERA

July: 11.12 ERA

August: 2.86 ERA

September: -----

It is...interesting to say the least.

I guess I would take Lyles over Anderson at this point as I doubt Lyles gets anywhere near $8.5 million like Anderson is set to get. Guarantee one year with a team option for a second. Just a stop gap with the hope that Burnes or Peralta could still turn it around as a starter.

Archived