Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-28: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Lyles) [Brewers win, 4-1]

Eye Black
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’d prefer 2 years, if he fails as a starter, he can pitch out of the pen. I don’t care what he did before he came to MKE last year, as much as what he’s done while pitching for the brewers. With the crew he’s been great. What’s the risk factor here?

The risk factor is that he's Jordan Lyles.

Didn’t you just say if starting didn’t work out, he’s good out of the pen?

Seems like your sorta talking out of both side of the mouth, you know, based on, your previous posts.

Here once again you are 100% wrong. I am an advocate for bringing him back next year, as he's got a good arm and the potential benefit is worth the risk in my opinion. There's still an obvious risk, though.

That is a FAR FAR cry from handing him a 3-year contract.

Are they planning to use Hader for 2 innings? I don't really like that to be honest. I'd rather him focus on getting through 1 clean.

Agree.

Get Pomeranz to warm up, just in case he doesn’t have it.

I'd be more inclined to have Jackson warm, Cardinals are very RH heavy. But either way yeah, we should be ready in case it looks bad early.

But why give multi-year deals to these guys? It doesn't make sense. You are paying two years for a guy that hasn't proven he can pitch one. Unless it is a team option only, it doesn't make any sense.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

But why give multi-year deals to these guys? It doesn't make sense. You are paying two years for a guy that hasn't proven he can pitch one.

Because if we’re right we get 2 good years from Lyles instead of 1. If he has the kind of year his stuff/command warrants, he’d price himself out of our range the following year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
But why give multi-year deals to these guys? It doesn't make sense. You are paying two years for a guy that hasn't proven he can pitch one.

Because if we’re right we get 2 good years from Lyles instead of 1. If he has the kind of year his stuff/command warrants, he’d price himself out of our range the following year.

This is how teams like the Orioles and lolMets and Tigers land at the bottoms of their divisions for several years in a row. By being run like video game teams.

This is how teams like the Orioles and lolMets and Tigers land at the bottoms of their divisions for several years in a row. By being run like video game teams.

That was my point. And since he hated Chacin so much, I thought he would have connected the dots because that was pretty much the contract we had with him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So the extra year and it’s now a video game run team. Or, maybe if one really believes in Lyles, then the smart move would be the 3 year deal. Do pitcher’s between the age of 28-31 still get 3 year deals for let’s say 18 million? If he’d take that I’d go 3 in a heartbeat.

So the extra year and it’s now a video game run team. Or, maybe if one really believes in Lyles, then the smart move would be the 3 year deal. Do pitcher’s between the age of 28-31 still get 3 year deals for let’s say 18 million? If he’d take that I’d go 3 in a heartbeat.

Yes, because you've randomly tossed out extra years and money to just about anything with an arm or a "good eye" at the plate. All of that adds up at the end of the day. I implore you to look back through all of your posts and see how many ideas you have just flung out there to build a team and see if you can actually make sense of it. I would bet that if you did, and realized all of the things you have posted, you may understand why people question you so frequently around here.

Yes, because you've randomly tossed out extra years and money to just about anything with an arm or a "good eye" at the plate. All of that adds up at the end of the day. I implore you to look back through all of your posts and see how many ideas you have just flung out there to build a team and see if you can actually make sense of it. I would bet that if you did, and realized all of the things you have posted, you may understand why people question you so frequently around here.

I’ll admit a few bad takes and predictions, beyond the 3-4 TOR prediction. But I’ve been dead on numerous takes too. But getting back to this Lyles take, Lyles at 18 for 3 is a less risky deal than Chacin for 2 at 16. Lyles is younger and has way better stuff.

I’ll admit a few bad takes and predictions, beyond the 3-4 TOR prediction. But I’ve been dead on numerous takes too. But getting back to this Lyles take, Lyles at 18 for 3 is a less risky deal than Chacin for 2 at 16. Lyles is younger and has way better stuff.

Which numerous takes have you been dead on?

You know what kind of 3 year deal makes perfect sense for Lyles? Something like what we gave to Jeffress, perhaps with a little more money.

Something like 1 year/3M, with a 2nd team option year for 5M, with a 3rd year team option year for 7M.

That kind of deal I could see Lyles getting. 3/18, no chance.

Archived