Brewer Fanatic

Scooter Gennett Released by the Giants today...

TURBO
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think for one thing, Stearns has proven that he values positional flexibility. That's something that scooter really lacks. We can say that he might be able to play shortstop for a game here or there or outfield for a game here or there, but he really shouldn't be playing those positions in anything more than an emergency basis.

Secondly, as everyone has been pointing out all season long, the team is very left-handed heavy and this wouldn't do anything to remedy that.

Lastly, unlike a lot of us brewerfan posters, Stearns does not have any sentimental value towards players that are currently on his roster, let alone players that used to be on his roster. Everything he does is strictly utilitarian.

Unless they move Hiura to 1B, as much as I like Scooter, I agree there's no room for him. I was at the game in spring training this year where he got hurt. I'm sure that's a huge reason for his poor season.

One thing about that injury. On the day of that game, the main road from Goodyear, I-10, was closed in sections and caused massive traffic jams eastbound toward Phoenix. That day the Reds literally arrived about 15 minutes prior to the first scheduled pitch. Reds players had maybe 5 minutes to stretch and get ready to play after getting off their bus. Considering the type of injury he sustained, I think that might well have been a factor.

Archived