Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-27: Cardinals (Mikolas) at Brewers (Houser) [Brewers lose, 6-3]

Eye Black
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's going to be a long offseason for this team trying to figure out what went wrong this year.

Unfortunately they don't really seem to be headed on an upward trajectory for next year either.

Unfortunately, it's looking like the postmortems of 2019 will include deciding which other previous season it most resembled, 2009 or 2013.

2012. It's pretty much the same, at least the bullpen is just as horrific and the starters quite a bit worse.

I think Albers could’ve fetched something low level. Chacin probably not.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What's with this repetitive mantra about selling? We have nothing to sell unless it's Yelich. Expiring Moose that nobody wanted 2x in FA and a couple months of Grandal when every contender has a C? That we didn't "sell" is really not going to hold us back in the grand way people seem to think. The return would have been marginal at best.

It's going to be a long offseason for this team trying to figure out what went wrong this year.

Unfortunately they don't really seem to be headed on an upward trajectory for next year either.

Unfortunately, it's looking like the postmortems of 2019 will include deciding which other previous season it most resembled, 2009 or 2013.

2012. It's pretty much the same, at least the bullpen is just as horrific and the starters quite a bit worse.

Yeah, 2012. Couldn't even get the season right in my reply. Corrected it in the thread above.

Wonder if Brew crew 92 will have any thoughts on Williams for us or if he will just find another pitcher in our minor leagues to tell us about how great they are and how stupid Stearns is for not bringing them up and how if they were up we would be in the playoffs, rinse-repeat........... own something around here, just once.

I really thought after the multiple aces proclamation and the "just wait til Williams....Black....Nelson....Suter....Rasmussen gets here" haven't amounted to anything at this level, he would have cooled it. But no, that hype train just keeps picking up steam.

Williams doesn’t appear to be ready. Looked good vs pirates, but not so much lately, throwing FB right down Broadway and getting killed. But Nelson Suter and Peralta are coming.

What's with this repetitive mantra about selling? We have nothing to sell unless it's Yelich. Expiring Moose that nobody wanted 2x in FA and a couple months of Grandal when every contender has a C? That we didn't "sell" is really not going to hold us back in the grand way people seem to think. The return would have been marginal at best.

People have a very poor understanding of probability. You have to take chances on seasons when you're in the race. You cannot give up and sell every time there are holes and you aren't a big time favorite. The more seasons you have in the race, the more seasons you have a chance to win things. Obviously if they had a very low postseason probability (like 7+ games back of 2nd wc at the deadline) go ahead and sell, but this season is certainly worth a shot and is not over with the 2nd wc.

Uecker is killing me. I shut off the TV, and thought the radio magic might work. Get up get up get up get outta here...caught at the wall...

He does this all the time these days.

Love Ueck but he is a terrible announcer now.

Uecker is killing me. I shut off the TV, and thought the radio magic might work. Get up get up get up get outta here...caught at the wall...

I would've probably driven into a ditch when he said "caught at the wall". But seriously it was close, Perez was standing and watching at the plate, it was a leaping catch at the wall.

Yelich Hader > 8-9 top 100 prospects

Moose Grandal Albers > 3 prospects all outside of the top 700 prospects

If this team somehow turns it around it will be even better than last year...which was pretty miraculous in its own right. That over-achieving team skewed expectations for this year. Baseball is an agonizing sport.

People have a very poor understanding of probability. You have to take chances on seasons when you're in the race. You cannot give up and sell every time there are holes and you aren't a big time favorite. The more seasons you have in the race, the more seasons you have a chance to win things. Obviously if they had a very low postseason probability (like 7+ games back of 2nd wc at the deadline) go ahead and sell, but this season is certainly worth a shot and is not over with the 2nd wc.

This year the brewers being in a race was lame. They were a bad team. This whole it’s baseball so we might win 20 in a row is just not a good strategy. There has to be some underlying reasons to be optimistic

This team sucked out loud. The signs were everywhere. If he could have got some good future pieces for trades it should have been done. But I. Of the opinion we really had nothing to give up. So you just gut it out this year and be crappy

Yelich Hader > 8-9 top 100 prospects

Moose Grandal Albers > 3 prospects all outside of the top 700 prospects

Ugh, please stop.

He’s been sitting more than playing. He’s not seeing the ball, first real slump of the year, swinging threw balls that he normally hits.

He was starting pretty much every day until the last week, but when he went 1 for 16 and his average dropped to .231 he lost some playing time to Braun and Cain who were hitting better. They gave Gamel a start too. They did not sit him while he was hitting well. And he was never going to be an everyday starter as long as Yelich, Cain, and Braun were all able to play.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

This year the brewers being in a race was lame. They were a bad team. This whole it’s baseball so we might win 20 in a row is just not a good strategy. There has to be some underlying reasons to be optimistic

This team sucked out loud. The signs were everywhere. If he could have got some good future pieces for trades it should have been done. But I. Of the opinion we really had nothing to give up. So you just gut it out this year and be crappy

Case in point

Fans thinking they need to win 20 in a row when sitting a couple games back of a wild card.

I would not be surprised if Counsell decides to go somewhere else next year if Stearns doesn't want to address the pitching this off season. We know Counsell isn't Stearns hire and although they seem to get along fine we don't know whose idea this past off season was. Counsell is so punch drunk from this bullpen he has to demand resources be spent. if Stearns says lets go cheap with young guys and doesn't get real help ask to be set free. The guy would have a job the next day.

I think Stearns has done ok. I never would have thought that Burnes and Peralta would flop so bad that they can't even make the MLB roster much less start. I would have thought someone like Jacob Barnes or Taylor Williams could step up in the pen. It just never happened.

Add to this Nelson still banged up, Knebel gone for the season, Woody out for weeks with an oblique, Suter still rehabbing, Jeffress took a big step back, Chacin got hurt so he was waived and Hader has been inconsistent as hell and you have this mess.

To make all of this worse is we can't score runs even when we get decent pitching. Yelich hasn't hit a HR in over a week, Cain can't buy a hit and nobody can even put the damn ball in play when we have runners on.

Archived