Brewer Fanatic

Sept 1 predictions

patrickgpe
Let's see how wrong I end up being.

Wave 1 (Sept 1, or when eligible): Nelson, Suter, Gamel, Freitas, Peralta

Wave 2 (end of AAA season): Shaw, Faria, Wilkerson, Nottingham, Taylor

40-man left out: Williams, Burnes, Supak, Stokes

Pretty much agree with your list, except if Moose hurting, Shaw up earlier.

And Burnes will be up at some point.

I don't see Freitas until AAA season is over. I agree that Shaw may be up soon if Moose is banged up. I don't see why they'd bring up Wilkerson for any reason. I think he's a good candidate to clear off the 40 man roster. Stearns has to bring up Faria to justify the Aguilar trade.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see Freitas until AAA season is over. I agree that Shaw may be up soon if Moose is banged up. I don't see why they'd bring up Wilkerson for any reason. I think he's a good candidate to clear off the 40 man roster. Stearns has to bring up Faria to justify the Aguilar trade.

Since when is Aguilar someone the team needs to justify the return for? Thats some major revisionist history in my opinion.

Aguilar sucked, there is nothing to explain. I also can't believe there are people that actually think they make call-up decisions based on the minor league playoffs. Like, you actually believe the MLB is sitting there going "He could help, but let's wait until they win the AAA title."

I'm just glad this is the last year of the massive September rosters.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I've thought it was dumb pretty much my whole life. So generally I agree even though I know it was crucial to what MKE did last year and an area in general that could help a small market team cover for their inability to buy pitching. So it somewhat hurts us but the principle of it has always been dumb to me.

ETA: I've basically thought the same thing on having different sets of rules for half the league.

I've thought it was dumb pretty much my whole life. So generally I agree even though I know it was crucial to what MKE did last year and an area in general that could help a small market team cover for their inability to buy pitching. So it somewhat hurts us but the principle of it has always been dumb to me

Could care less how the new rule helps the overall game of baseball, I only care that it hurts the brewers, for precisely the reason you gave. The disadvantages we already endure from a half century of being a smaller market team, imo, doesn’t need worsened.

The Missions season likely ends the 2nd so if the Brewers really need somebody imagine he is called up this Sunday. Pretty much agree with Folly except think Wilkerson is gone to make room for Suter/Nelson. Also think Burnes is done for the year, start fresh next year. If they don't recall Williams might as well DFA him as well since he has no option next year and they don't think highly of him.

Stearns said that there will likely be two waves, one on Sept. 1st and one when the Missions are done. Even though they are tied for the 3rd best record in the PCL, they are 3 games back and not likely to make that up.

Stears said we will probably see some guys who haven't been up yet this year. That's only Suter, Freitas, Taylor, Supak, and Stokes, and the latter two are highly unlikley. Taylor didn't get called up last year, and with similar numbers and stuck behind Grisham and Gamel probably won't this year either, leaving Suter and Freitas.

The Brewers have always called up a 3rd catcher so they could pinch hit or pinch run for the catchers if needed. I don't see that changing. I'll give the chances of Freitas being called up on 9/1 at 80%.

Aguilar sucked, there is nothing to explain. I also can't believe there are people that actually think they make call-up decisions based on the minor league playoffs. Like, you actually believe the MLB is sitting there going "He could help, but let's wait until they win the AAA title."

There would be NO reason to call-up Freitas just to sit the bench. Do you actually believe if the Brewers thought he could help he would still be in the minors? With Grandal catching and Pina doing well as the backup, Freitas would be a 3rd catcher and play very little if at all. The Brewers believe that it's better to leave Freitas in the minors and playing than sitting the bench in the big leagues. IF Grandal or Pina got hurt, of course Freitas or Nottingham would be brought up.

There would be NO reason to call-up Freitas just to sit the bench. Do you actually believe if the Brewers thought he could help he would still be in the minors? With Grandal catching and Pina doing well as the backup, Freitas would be a 3rd catcher and play very little if at all. The Brewers believe that it's better to leave Freitas in the minors and playing than sitting the bench in the big leagues. IF Grandal or Pina got hurt, of course Freitas or Nottingham would be brought up.

How bout a .530 hitter vs LHP That plays 1B to finally get Grandal some rest? Our lineup vs LHP gets stronger with Freitas in the lineup. That’s 3 good reasons to get him up ASAP.

Stearns not getting him up earlier has been my #1 complaint on this front office this year. I know he didn’t want to lose Pina, but, imo, as bad as this team was all year vs LHP, he should have made room, maybe keeping Perez down.

Do you actually believe if the Brewers thought he could help he would still be in the minors?

I do, don't know why they would have traded for him and kept him on the 40 man all year if they didn't. It is not like he is a 22 year old developing in the minors, this guy is 30. Shouldn't have any guy in their 30s and on the 40 man if you don't think they can help the big league team.

Please be Nottingham.

We need major league experience. We need Tuffy Gosewich!

Nottingham has a 1.400 OPS this year for the Brewers. Have you seen him play?!? I’m sold on him. The Brewers should bring him up and lock him up for the next 8 years. If Stearns doesn’t, he should be fired immediately for someone with the stones to actually try to win a World Series.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Please be Nottingham.

We need major league experience. We need Tuffy Gosewich!

Nottingham has a 1.400 OPS this year for the Brewers. Have you seen him play?!? I’m sold on him. The Brewers should bring him up and lock him up for the next 8 years. If Stearns doesn’t, he should be fired immediately for someone with the stones to actually try to win a World Series.

Can we give that same 8 year deal to good ‘ole Tuffy too?

They have 5 games vs. the Cubs from Sept 1-8. They'll see LH in at least 3 of those games and Freitas killed LH pitching at AAA. He's got more value than any of the others they'll call up.

How bout a .530 hitter vs LHP That plays 1B to finally get Grandal some rest? Our lineup vs LHP gets stronger with Freitas in the lineup. That’s 3 good reasons to get him up ASAP.

Stearns not getting him up earlier has been my #1 complaint on this front office this year. I know he didn’t want to lose Pina, but, imo, as bad as this team was all year vs LHP, he should have made room, maybe keeping Perez down.

giphy.gif

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The number one complaint is not carrying 3 catchers and a catcher to mash LHP when Manny has a .997 OPS vs Lefties. I guess it's not a .530 OBP though. Also, Grandal has an .875 OPS vs Lefties. Unless Freitas can play SS he really didn't have a spot on the team. You can probably squint your eyes and find a spot for him once Jesus was traded but then future league MVP Grisham probably does not have had a spot. Bad roster management would've been carrying 5 guys limited to C/1B when only two can play a day. But continue how Stearns is an idiot for it.

The number one complaint is not carrying 3 catchers and a catcher to mash LHP when Manny has a .997 OPS vs Lefties. I guess it's not a .530 OBP though. Also, Grandal has an .875 OPS vs Lefties. Unless Freitas can play SS he really didn't have a spot on the team. You can probably squint your eyes and find a spot for him once Jesus was traded but then future league MVP Grisham probably does not have had a spot. Bad roster management would've been carrying 5 guys limited to C/1B when only two can play a day. But continue how Stearns is an idiot for it.

.530 is not his on base, it’s his batting average vs LHP.

Instead of Perez being brought back, it should have been Freitas, imo. For 2 reasons:

1.) our lineup vs LHP would have been bolstered.

2.) Grandal would have gotten rest this last month+, his power has virtually disappeared the last couple months, gee, I wonder why?!

Arcia could have just played in all the games, Perez adds nothing to this team except for pitching in blowouts.

In AAA. Soooo 4 guys to play 2 positions. you're trying to fix the problem of the guys hitting 997 and 875 at the MLB. You're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist because of on infatuation with AAA numbers. If Freitas can play SS or maybe 3B then sure but he's 1B and C as far as I know and you already have 3 guys at that spot doing perfectly fine.

Perez adds being able to play strong defense at any spot on the field except C. And we are in the NL so that matters.

Instead of Perez being brought back, it should have been Freitas, imo. For 2 reasons:

2.) Grandal would have gotten rest this last month+, his power has virtually disappeared the last couple months, gee, I wonder why?!

Arcia could have just played in all the games, Perez adds nothing to this team except for pitching in blowouts.

Grandal has almost a .400 OBP, IN THE MAJORS, over the past 28 days... also roughly a month. DO. YOUR. HOMEWORK.

In AAA. Soooo 4 guys to play 2 positions. you're trying to fix the problem of the guys hitting 997 and 875 at the MLB. You're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist because of on infatuation with AAA numbers. If Freitas can play SS or maybe 3B then sure but he's 1B and C as far as I know and you already have 3 guys at that spot doing perfectly fine.

Perez adds being able to play strong defense at any spot on the field except C. And we are in the NL so that matters.

Perez stinks. That’s not an opinion, since he wasn’t claimed when DFA’d.

My priority is to HELP the lineup vs LHP. Perez does nothing there, does he?

You completely ignore my 2nd reason to have brought up The Freitas.

Any rabid brewer fan knows how much Grandal has played this year, when he’s not C, he’s at 1B vs LHP. 19 home runs hit before the first week of July, 2 since. Come on, you know as well as I, the highly probable cause.

And as far as your comment of me trying to fix a problem that doesn’t need fixed. I would argue this team vs LHP is THE #1 WEAKNESS OF THIS TEAM. How did you feel about our chances this last couple months when you saw we were facing a lefty?

Grandal has almost a .400 OBP, IN THE MAJORS, over the past 28 days... also roughly a month. DO. YOUR. HOMEWORK.

Testament to his superior eye at the plate, BB’s up, swinging takes energy, probably resting when he can.

Grandal has a near 400 OBP in the major league level over the last month yet you're demanding he be benched as he's not doing good enough. Pina has a near 1.000 OPS at the MLB level this year. If Freitas could play SS, 3B or OF then sure he could help vs lefties. Otherwise the two guys playing there are doing great. That's why there is no problem to be fixed at these spots. Stearns axed Aguilar and replaced him with Grandals 875 vs lefties, he fixed it already.

Basically everything you're screaming here could've been said about Saladino to replace Arcia as well and we saw how that worked. Except at least in that case Arcia can't hit whereas the two guys you're trying to replace are doing great.

Testament to his superior eye at the plate, BB’s up, swinging takes energy, probably resting when he can.

Are you actually suggesting that Grandal is only walking so much because he’s conserving energy by not swinging the bat since he is so tired?

Archived