Brewer Fanatic

Sept 1 predictions

patrickgpe

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only being able to expand to 28 makes things interesting. Brewers already said gamel will be one, there are some options for the other 2. I’ll predict Nelson and Barker. Would have thought Black would be one of the 3 before today’s moves but this seems to make the most sense to me. (Suter coming up before 9-1)

Well the 28 man limitation does not begin until next season. It is still all hands on deck up to 40 if desired this year. So probably all of the above plus others.

Only being able to expand to 28 makes things interesting. Brewers already said gamel will be one, there are some options for the other 2. I’ll predict Nelson and Barker. Would have thought Black would be one of the 3 before today’s moves but this seems to make the most sense to me. (Suter coming up before 9-1)

I thought the 28-man roster doesn't go into effect until next year?

That’s next year’s new rule, this year same as before. It’ll be at least Nelson Suter Black Peralta possibly more on the pitching side and Nottingham Freitas Shaw T Taylor Gamel possibly more.

Here are my predictions:

Freitas or Nottingham

J. Nelson

T. Shaw

B. Gamel

Faria

R. Black

F. Peralta

T.Williams (still young an talented but running out of chances)

Supak (time to give him a shot)

Woodruff and Suter when healthy

Longshots: T. Taylor (possibly as a pinch runner?), C. Burnes (needs to work on things in Arz), Wilkerson, Stokes (may be going to AFL)

I don't think there is 40 man room for both Nelson and Suter.

Taylor Williams is out of options after this year so he should probably be released as he is also the last reliever on the 40 man (along with Wilkerson, who does have an option).

Saladino, Spangenberg, and Perez are also expendable--except that all of those guys will get playing time in September--or at least PH opportunities--and if there is an injury they will actually be sorely needed.

After that you have Taylor and Stokes...and then all the relievers we just traded for (Black, Pomeranz, and Faria). I can't see us letting any of those guys go, thus Nelson and/or Suter (looking like Nelson) will stay on the 60 day IL.

Unless you cut Wlkerson and Taylor Williams...

I don't think there is 40 man room for both Nelson and Suter.

Taylor Williams is out of options after this year so he should probably be released as he is also the last reliever on the 40 man (along with Wilkerson, who does have an option).

Saladino, Spangenberg, and Perez are also expendable--except that all of those guys will get playing time in September--or at least PH opportunities--and if there is an injury they will actually be sorely needed.

After that you have Taylor and Stokes...and then all the relievers we just traded for (Black, Pomeranz, and Faria). I can't see us letting any of those guys go, thus Nelson and/or Suter (looking like Nelson) will stay on the 60 day IL.

Unless you cut Wlkerson and Taylor Williams...

Stokes and T Williams gone. No way they don’t pitch Nelson and Suter.

Wilkerson and Saladino open two 40-man spots fairly cleanly.

Saladino is injured.

Also, San Antonio's possible playoff schedule could factor into the timing of some call ups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Wilkerson and Saladino open two 40-man spots fairly cleanly.

Saladino is injured.

Also, San Antonio's possible playoff schedule could factor into the timing of some call ups.

They'll probably just activate him then waive him. Also, I doubt the playoff schedule is going to make a huge difference.

Maybe an arm coming up but I think they also might keep some players at San Antonio for their playoff run being a first year Affiliate.

I really doubt that they are going to sacrifice depth at the major league level during a playoff chase to make sure the AAA affiliate is primed for a playoff run. At least I sure hope they think that way. Having successful minor league teams is very nice, but the end goal of the whole system is, in the end, winning games and making the playoffs at the major league level.

Man, I was really hoping for the salad man to have about 3 or 4 plate appearances the rest of the season...all with the bases loaded. But I think most people have it fairly spot on. Locks include Suter, Nelson, Faria, Black, Gamel, Shaw, and one of Nottingham/Freitas. Others could include the other of the 2 catchers, and someone like Tyrone Taylor for defense/base running. We could also sign someone specifically for that role. I don't think we will have significant 40 man issues in bringing back Nelson/Suter or signing a speed guy.

I know a player has to be on the 25 man Aug 31 to be eligible for the playoffs, but what about Suter Nelson Who are on the 60 day and Freitas who’s injured on the AAA IL, can they be activated after and still be eligible?

I believe that Suter and Nelson can be activated after Sept. 1 and be playoff eligible, but Freitas would not be, as the AAA IL has no bearing on MLB rules.

I know a player has to be on the 25 man Aug 31 to be eligible for the playoffs, but what about Suter Nelson Who are on the 60 day and Freitas who’s injured on the AAA IL, can they be activated after and still be eligible?

I believe that Suter and Nelson can be activated after Sept. 1 and be playoff eligible, but Freitas would not be, as the AAA IL has no bearing on MLB rules.

Ok, thanks.

Haudricourt stated intercostal strain with Freitas, but he might heal in time for the stretch run, so assuming mid-September at the earliest.

Maybe this team can be the Colorado Rockies of 07, and win all their games the last 10-12 days.

incorrect. any player in the organization on 31 august could be playoff eligible, if certain conditions are met.

I really don’t know why they’d bring up Jimmy Nelson. They’re not going to tender him a contract for next year regardless how he pitches out of the bullpen as they play out the string. Therefore it doesn’t seem likely they designate someone from the 40 man roster to make space for a player with no real value to the organization going forward.

I really don’t know why they’d bring up Jimmy Nelson. They’re not going to tender him a contract for next year regardless how he pitches out of the bullpen as they play out the string. Therefore it doesn’t seem likely they designate someone from the 40 man roster to make space for a player with no real value to the organization going forward.

Unless you are, in fact, David Stearns, there is no way you know this. You are speculating, based on the rough go a guy has had coming off a major surgery.

Honestly, I have no idea what the future is for Nelson. But if the Brewers have stuck with him this long, it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see them bring him back next year.

Archived