Brewer Fanatic

Andrew Luck retiring from the NFL

PinaMadness

He's smart enough to have been admitted to Stanford, and now rich enough to not have to worry about money. I don't see him coming back.

That might confuse and torque off football fans and insiders, but there's no glory in playing until he's fully spent. More and more players are deciding to walk away while they can. And that's fine.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Luck stayed in school an extra year when he easily would have been the #1 pick in the draft. I don't think he gives two rips about money...or at least he knows he has enough to be happy. Also, I think he made mention that it's the mental side taking a bigger toll than the physical. Hope he's doing ok.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That is fine and I couldn't care less about him coming back. I am just not buying it. He wouldn't slam the door shut, Irsay wouldn't slam the door shut. Both Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson would have kept playing if they could have gotten Detroit to let them go. Luck won't have that issue if he decides to give it another go. Maybe he is really done. He may be exhausted now, but he won't be in 2 years. He will feel fresh, and he won't be 38, he'll be 31-32. His intelligence isn't relevant to me. I am skeptical that level of competitor with that level of talent won't get the itch after some time off and time to recuperate.

That is fine and I couldn't care less about him coming back. I am just not buying it. He wouldn't slam the door shut, Irsay wouldn't slam the door shut. Both Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson would have kept playing if they could have gotten Detroit to let them go. Luck won't have that issue if he decides to give it another go. Maybe he is really done. He may be exhausted now, but he won't be in 2 years. He will feel fresh, and he won't be 38, he'll be 31-32. His intelligence isn't relevant to me. I am skeptical that level of competitor with that level of talent won't get the itch after some time off and time to recuperate.

The guy was worn out because he went through all the rehab and uncertainty from the shoulder and now it's been a few months and they can't figure out what's going on with his lower leg.

I agree, how smart he is doesn't inform if he's going to decide to come back in another 12 months or 24 months. Luck played the game with reckless abandon. Taking backers and safeties head on instead of sliding to get 1st downs. I don't remember a QB who played as recklessly as he did in order to try to win. You don't do that because of intellect, you do that because of your competitive nature.

And as you said, in both Barry and Calvin's case, they wanted to play elsewhere. There were even discussions 2 years after he retired about teams trading for his rights.

I think it was reported Colts wanted to just put him on the IL and let him take the whole year off and then revisit next offseason. But he was adamant that he was done and not coming back so they put him on the retired list. Note that if he had any inkling of coming back he'd have been better off going on the IL as then it would still count as a year of service for his contract and get him closer to FA and able to play wherever he'd want. Just saying he must have been pretty clear in their meetings that this was it. Unless of course this leak isn't totally accurate nor is the positive spin from the Colts, so that basically Colts put on Retired list in order to still hold his rights for another year if he changes his mind.

Archived