Brewer Fanatic

Cory Spangenberg contract selected from AAA, Gamel optioned to AAA, Chacin DFA

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't seen anything, but safe to assume this move was made because chacin won't be ready to pitch before end of season? This is the end of his contract so no sense keeping him on if he can't pitch

Look at it this way. Nelson and Suter are pitching well enough that they could piggyback a start or two if needed. They'll likely DFA both Taylor Williams and Wilkerson to make room for them coming off the 60 day DL. There's really no positional player that makes sense taking off the 40 man.

I haven't seen anything, but safe to assume this move was made because chacin won't be ready to pitch before end of season? This is the end of his contract so no sense keeping him on if he can't pitch

Look at it this way. Nelson and Suter are pitching well enough that they could piggyback a start or two if needed. They'll likely DFA both Taylor Williams and Wilkerson to make room for them coming off the 60 day DL. There's really no positional player that makes sense taking off the 40 man.

Prior to this year, Spangenberg had played 11 innings at shortstop in pro ball (minors and majors combined). Starting shortstop for the Brewers tonight.

And 134 innings there in San Antonio this year. It's not like they are counting on him to take them to the playoffs, I think they are basically rewarding him for having a good season in AAA. It's not like taking time from Arcia or Perez is going to hurt the team.

Prior to this year, Spangenberg had played 11 innings at shortstop in pro ball (minors and majors combined). Starting shortstop for the Brewers tonight.

And 134 innings there in San Antonio this year. It's not like they are counting on him to take them to the playoffs, I think they are basically rewarding him for having a good season in AAA. It's not like taking time from Arcia or Perez is going to hurt the team.

A healthy Chacin = Gas can/Lighter fluid, could/should have been DFA’d by the all star game.

Spangenberg is a better hitter than Arcia, but probably a worse defender, but not sure about that, since I’ve never seen him play short, when with the Padres he looked good at second, the games I remember.

A healthy Chacin = Gas can/Lighter fluid, could/should have been DFA’d by the all star game.

Spangenberg is a better hitter than Arcia, but probably a worse defender, but not sure about that, since I’ve never seen him play short, when with the Padres he looked good at second, the games I remember.

Sadly, Chacin wasn't really going to contribute to the team this year. Has had a poor season (5.69 ERA / 5.79 FIP), and even if that was due to get better it seems like he would have returned after the minor league season, so wouldn't be able to get any rehab outings before coming back. Can't really afford to give rehab outings in a playoff race to a guy who might not even be good enough when fit. Which is a shame, as he was so good last year and was a major contributor to the playoff run. And when he was on his game, really fun to watch too. Backdoor slider on one edge, followed by backdoor sinker right on the other, and sliders all day long.

As for Spangenberg; why not? Two replacement level players manning SS currently. Gamel gets sent down, replacing a lefty with a lefty. Grisham gets more playing time in the OF, Perez is there to cover as well. Maybe Spongebob is better than Arcia, maybe he isn't. Much better career numbers as a hitter, remains to be seen what his SS defense is like.

Sadly, Chacin wasn't really going to contribute to the team this year. Has had a poor season (5.69 ERA / 5.79 FIP), and even if that was due to get better it seems like he would have returned after the minor league season, so wouldn't be able to get any rehab outings before coming back. Can't really afford to give rehab outings in a playoff race to a guy who might not even be good enough when fit. Which is a shame, as he was so good last year and was a major contributor to the playoff run. And when he was on his game, really fun to watch too. Backdoor slider on one edge, followed by backdoor sinker right on the other, and sliders all day long.

As for Spangenberg; why not? Two replacement level players manning SS currently. Gamel gets sent down, replacing a lefty with a lefty. Grisham gets more playing time in the OF, Perez is there to cover as well. Maybe Spongebob is better than Arcia, maybe he isn't. Much better career numbers as a hitter, remains to be seen what his SS defense is like.

Archived